White-eyed demons were a very powerful group of demons, known for being among the oldest and strongest demons in all of Hell together with Cain and the four Princes of Hell. They represented the highest demon authority in Hell, with Lilith being one of five demons, the other four being the Princes of Hell, having rightful claim to the throne. They were of such strength that while they could not kill angels with their own power, they could overpower them with ease. They instilled great panic in other demons as almost all other demons were terrified of them.
After Lucifer was corrupted by the Mark of Cain, his hatred of humanity grew, leading him to torture Lilith until she was transformed into the first demon. Lilith then began to torture other deceased humans, turning them into demons as well. Lucifer and Lilith were banished deep into hell for their deeds. It is unknown how and when Alastair was created who would later become the grand torturer of hell.
White-Eyed demons played a key role in preparing Lucifer's release. Lilith's death was the final step in releasing Lucifer from his cage. Azazel sought out Lucifer, who told him Lilith knew how to break the seals and release him from the cage. Azazel then spent decades working on freeing Lilith from hell. Dean eventually killed Azazel with the Colt.
Alastair was given the task of convincing John Winchester to torture other souls in hell, which would have been the First Seal. However, John was too resilient and Alastair was unable to achieve his goal. John later escaped from hell. Lilith established herself as the new leader of hell. She viewed Sam Winchester as a potential rival, and therefore ordered his execution. Roughly one year after she escaped hell, Lilith met the Winchesters to take Dean's soul to Hell after he was killed by hellhounds. Afterwards, she tried to kill Sam as well by blasting him with a white light. They were both surprised when it had no effect on Sam. She was then forced to flee before Sam could stab her with the Demon Killing Knife.
While Alastair tortured Dean in hell, with the intention of him taking his father's place as the First Seal, Sam sought revenge on Lilith. He became committed to killing her, not knowing that her death was the final seal. Sam was aided by Ruby, who was working for Lilith, unbeknownst to him. Lilith avoided Sam, knowing her powers could not affect him as he was Lucifer's vessel. Alastair eventually got Dean to agree to torture other souls in Hell, thus breaking the First Seal and allowing Lilith to break the others.
White-eyed demons were terrifyingly powerful and they rank the highest in the hierarchy of Hell, just under Lucifer himself and the Princes of Hell, with the exception of Lilith, as she was Lucifer's first and ranked highest on Hell's hierarchy. They inspired fear in their subordinates as almost all demons were well aware of their power. To further consolidate their authority and keep younger demons in line, they told them stories about the Darkness. White-Eyed demons were even capable of holding their own against regular angels. So far, the only known demons of this type are Lilith and Alastair.
Both Lilith and Alastair were well known for their cruelty, torturing their enemies and victims before killing them. Especially Alastair had an affinity for torture, he was basically the grand-torturer of hell, researching new ways to torture deceased humans and increase their pain. Alastair even preferred to reside in Hell, as it's more suited as a place to research on torture. While Azazel set up and prepared everything for Lucifer's rise, it was mainly on Lilith to execute it by breaking the seals, however, she had not such a religious connection to Lucifer like Alastair. As Lilith learned that she would eventually die shortly before Lucifer's rise, she tried to make a deal with Sam, letting "Lucifer rot in his cage" in exchange for Sam's and Dean's lives.
It is unknown how a white-eyed demon's true form looked like; however, as they walked the Earth, they manifested as a cloud of black smoke. As they possessed human vessels, it came to no noticeable change besides that their eye color changed to white. Shortly before Dean's soul was supposed to go to Hell, he was able to see Lilith's true face and describes it as horrible.
Powers and Abilities
White-eyed Demons were some of the oldest demons and thus among the most powerful to appear in the series. Lilith, as well as Alastair, were rather unafraid as they faced regular angels, Castiel was unable to smite Alastair and could not withstand him. Despite their superiority against regular angels, they knew how tremendously powerful archangels are and preferred to flee when confronted by one of them since they wouldn't stand a chance against them.
- Biokinesis – Alastair directed a psychic attack on Sam and Dean simultaneously by raising his hand at them; causing them to grip their chests and fall down, implying that he was attacking their hearts or lungs.
- Demonic Possession – White-eyed Demons can possess humans as vessels voluntarily or involuntarily, which allows them to manifest on Earth. Unlike most other demons, who usually enter and exit humans' bodies in a rush of black smoke as the humans scream, White-eyed Demons apparently can also do this without humans noticing as Lilith was able to leave her first vessel without the latter's mother noticing.
- Telekinesis – White-eyed Demons had the ability to move objects with their mind. Lilith broke a grown man's neck with a click of her fingers without touching it, and later used telekinesis to fling Sam and Dean across the room, holding Sam immobilized to a wall at the same time she did the same to Dean to a table. Alastair used hand gestures to drag and throw people over large distances without physically touching them. During his first appearance, he also blasted apart a door without noticeable use of gestures.
- Demonic White Light – Although only demonstrated by Lilith, by raising their hands, white-eyed Demons can generate blast rays of blinding white light from usually their vessel's hand palms that apparently destroys just about anything they want it to. For example, Lilith blew apart an entire police station without killing the people inside and later performed the reverse by concentrating it solely on Sam so that it did not affect the house she was in at the time.
- Localization – White-eyed Demons can localize any human not protected by hex-bags. Shortly after Sam destroyed his and Dean's hex bags, Lilith appeared.
- Immunity – White-eyed Demons couldn't be killed by smiting from lower-level angels, showed immunity to iron and were able to enter and walk on hallowed ground. Furthermore, they were not vulnerable to holy water. Alastair was also extremely resistant to Ruby's Knife as it only caused him mild pain rather than the agony most Demons feel, and it was not deadly to him when stabbed in the stomach and upper chest. Lilith proved to be the most resilient to Sam's demonic powers of all the demons he used them on, even with him at the peak of his power and her powers useless against him. After he had grown strong enough to incapacitate and kill Alastair with them, his powers merely stirred Lilith's hair. When he finally succeeded, it required (in addition to all the blood he already had) all the blood of one demon, more blood from another, immense effort from him, and Lilith intentionally provoking him to anger, nearly transforming him into a monster in the process (to the point where he briefly became a demon).The effort of killing Lilith also exhausted Sam's powers completely.
- Super Strength – As the first demons, white-eyed Demons are incredibly strong, more so than humans, ghosts, monsters, reapers, demons and even regular angels. While they can't kill angels using their own power, they can overpower them. Even while possessing the body of a little girl, Lilith slaughtered grown men with her bare hands. When Lilith got involved in a physical struggle with Sam, she quickly overpowered him, despite his having the advantage of position (she was lying down beneath him) and weight (his body was much larger and muscled than her vessel). Alastair lifted and strangled Dean with one hand without any signs of strain. He also lifted Castiel and placed him on a hook while they were both in vessels despite being weakened by hours of torture and just being stabbed with the demon-killing knife. Even without a vessel, he was strong enough to overpower and capture a Reaper.
- Invulnerability – White-eyed Demons cannot be harmed or killed by conventional means. Alastair withstood would-be fatal injuries such as numerous stabbings and prolonged torture with little reaction.
- Flight – In their disembodied smoke state, they were able to fly.
- Teleportation – As the oldest demons, White-eyed Demons can instantaneously disappear and reappear anywhere from one place to another instantly at will, including travel between Hell and Earth.
- Immortality – White-eyed Demons had the potential to live forever indefinitely. Lilith was the very first and eldest demon, predating the Knights of Hell and even Cain himself. Lilith was tens of thousands of years old. Although his exact age was not revealed, Alastair considered Ruby, who was over seven hundred years old, to be a young demon.
- Astral Perception – White-eyed Demons could perceive beings that are invisible to humans such as ghosts, demons and reapers.
- Super Stamina – White-eyed Demons didn't require food, sleep, water or air to sustain themselves. They had an incredibly high pain threshold, withstanding hours of extreme torture from Castiel, Uriel, and later Dean (his own pupil in torturing) without giving up any information. When he got free, he showed no signs of weakness or exhaustion despite multiple injuries to his vessel.
- Thermokinesis – White-eyed Demons could emit extreme heat through their host's body. Lilith could control the intensity of this power. In one instance she was able to scald Sam's lips as she forcefully kissed him and in another instance, she was able to burn through a Devil's Trap by merely touching it.
- Spell Casting – As white-eyed demons were among the first demons in existence, they knew a wide variety of spells. Lilith used spells and rituals to break the 66 Seals, Alastair even knew an exorcism that worked on angels.
- Torturing – Both Lilith and Alastair were especially skilled torturers. Alastair was the chief torturer of hell and even managed to break Dean Winchester, as he agreed to torture others.
WeaknessesWhite-eyed Demons had very few true weaknesses and were immune to most of the standard demonic weaknesses.
Harming, Misleading or Trapping
- Holy water - Holy water caused pain to one.
- Salt - Salt caused pain to one.
- Hex Bag - White-eyed demons couldn't locate someone if they are concealed by hex bags.
- Heavenly Host - Multiple angels acting collectively could capture Alastair.
- Devil's Trap - A white-eyed demon can be trapped in a Devil's Trap.
- Demon-Killing Knife - A white-eyed demon can be harmed by this knife.
Banishing and Killing
- Archangels - Lilith fled in fear of being destroyed by Raphael.
- Special Children - White-eyed demons are vulnerable to a special child's powers and they can be killed by one.
Known White-eyed Demons
- Lilith (deceased)
- Alastair (deceased)
- Other Two Unknown White-eyed Demons (mentioned only, non-canon)
- Season 2
- All Hell Breaks Loose - Part 2 (smoke form)
- Season 3
- Season 4
- Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean Winchester (Lilith, mentioned only)
- Metamorphosis (Lilith, mentioned only)
- Yellow Fever (Lilith, as a hallucination)
- I Know What You Did Last Summer (Alastair, first appearance; Lilith, mentioned only)
- Heaven and Hell (Alastair)
- Criss Angel Is A Douchebag (Lilith, mentioned only)
- Death Takes A Holiday (Alastair)
- On The Head Of A Pin (Alastair; Lilith, mentioned only)
- The Monster at the End of This Book (Lilith)
- When The Levee Breaks (Alastair, as a hallucination; Lilith, mentioned only)
- Lucifer Rising (Lilith; Alastair, mentioned only)
- Season 5
- Season 6
- Season 7
- Season 8
- Season 12
- Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting (non-canon, mentioned only)
- Lilith was the first white-eyed demon introduced, sharing her eye color with Alastair. She was also the first female Big Bad.
- Two more unknown white-eyed demons were mentioned in Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting.
- Both of the two known white-eyed demons, Alastair and Lilith were killed by Sam Winchester.
- In real Judeo-Christian demon lore, it's more common for demons to manifest white eyes than black eyes when they reveal themselves from their host. According to lore, demons can't look upon the sacred, which then causes the possesser's eyes to roll back when any holy relics are present in front of a demon and reveals their true demonic nature. Unlike the average demon, High-rank demons are believed to possess black or glowing eyes instead of white eyes like in Supernatural.
- Both known white-eyed demons, Lilith and Alastair, have very ambiguous pasts. While Lilith's origins can be traced back to the Garden of Eden, it is unknown when human Alastair existed and when he became a demon.
- This class of demons has the least number of known members at two, compared to a total of four members of the Princes of Hell and three named Knights of Hell, excluding known but unseen Knights killed by Cain.
- Both known white-eyed demons seem to have a preference for possessing blue-eyed humans. Out of seven on-screen hosts between the two demons, there was only one host who did not have blue eyes - Ruby's green-eyed blonde vessel, whom Lilith briefly possessed but notably did not herself choose as a host, having only possessed her in order to pose as Ruby.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 1.11 Heaven and Hell
- ↑ Brother's Keeper
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Swan Song
- ↑ All Hell Breaks Loose - Part 1
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 5.2 5.3 5.4 5.5 5.6 5.7 5.8 On The Head Of A Pin
- ↑ All Hell Breaks Loose - Part 2
- ↑ 7.0 7.1 7.2 7.3 7.4 7.5 7.6 7.7 7.8 7.9 No Rest for the Wicked
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 I Know What You Did Last Summer
- ↑ Form and Void
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 10.3 10.4 10.5 10.6 10.7 10.8 10.9 The Monster at the End of This Book
- ↑ As Time Goes By
- ↑ First Born
- ↑ Jus In Bello
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Lucifer Rising
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 Death Takes A Holiday