Vetalas are a type of monster, almost snake-like, that hunt in pairs so they can capture their prey. They don't usually hunt solo. They also appear to be loyal and protective of their kind, obviously having a strong pack mentality that extends like family.
They appear human until they attack, at which point they reveal sharp teeth and blue, snake-like eyes. They are mostly beautiful.
John hunted one lone Vetala long ago and killed it. He recorded this in his journal, from which Sam gets his information years later. When Sam was at Stanford, Dean discovered that they hunt in pairs. He managed to kill two Vetalas.
In Adventures in Babysitting, Lee Chambers, another hunter, goes after one without knowing its partner was nearby, and he is captured. Several days later, Sam comes looking for Lee and is captured as well. Sam and Lee are clearly not their only prey, as there are bodies scattered throughout their hideout. Krissy killed Sally while Marlene almost bit Dean but Sam killed her. The two Vetala responsible are killed by Lee's daughter, Krissy, and Sam.
Powers and Abilities
- Fangs - They possess extremely strong, sharp fangs that can rip open a human throat. In John's journal, he states that a Vetala's bite marks on their human victims resemble the marks of a vampire attack.
- Paralyzing Venom - Vetala paralyse their victims with a venomous bite. It knocks the victim out cold and causes a ringing in the ear along with weakened strength.
- Super Strength - Vetala appear to have enhanced strength that allows them to overpower even well-built humans like Sam and Dean.
- Invulnerability - They can only be killed by stabbing their heart with a silver knife, then twisting once.
- Super Senses - Vetala appear to possess enhanced hearing, as one was able to detect someone sneaking behind his back.
- Super Speed - Vetala, much like vampires, are capable of moving at high velocities, allowing them to disappear in a blink of an eye and appear out of nowhere.
- Super Agility - Vetala possess snake-like agility greater than that of humans.
- Silver Knife - They can be killed by being stabbed in the heart with a silver knife (Knife must be twisted once to complete and effectively kill). When they die, their bodies crumble apart.
Vetalas come from Hindu Mythology. In Lore, they are believed to haunt forests and sleep by hanging themselves upside down from trees like bats. In Hindu Mythology, there are many stories of the Deities and Pious Kings overcoming the Vetalas. Once they are overpowered and enslaved they can be very loyal and protective of their master. Hindu myths speak of stories of Vetalas who readily give up their lives for their masters, most of whom they consider their closest friends.