The RMS Titanic, or simply Titanic, was the largest transatlantic liner of its time. It made its maiden voyage from Southampton, England to New York City. It sank on April 15, 1912 after colliding with an iceberg.
History[edit | edit source]
At 11:40 p.m. on April 14, 1912, lookouts in the crows nest spotted an iceberg. The ship started a turn to the left but the ship struck the iceberg. While The Titanic could stay afloat if only four of her water-tight compartments were flooded, unfortunately five were flooded, dooming the ship. There were not enough lifeboats for the 2,200 souls on board. Only 705 survived the sinking, with over 1,500 drowning. The Titanic broke in two and sank beneath the waves.
Salvation[edit | edit source]
The Titanic was saved by Balthazar under orders from Castiel. This was to secure the souls to help them combat Raphael during the civil war in Heaven. Balthazar masqueraded as the first mate under the name I.P. Freeley.
This led to the survival of people that were supposed to die, as well as the birth of their descendants. The alteration of events also led to Ellen Harvelle being wed to Bobby Singer, with Jo as their daughter, as well as the Winchesters owning a Mustang instead of the Impala. The Celine Dion song "My Heart Will Go On" also ceased to exist.
This angered Atropos, who was willing to let the planned future go but was determined to keep the past the way it was supposed to be. She began to kill the survivors from the ocean liner. The angels attempted to kill her, but after a stalemate, Castiel was forced to order Balthazar to correct the flow of events by sinking the Titanic again.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Season 1
- Provenance (news article)
- Season 5
- 99 Problems (mentioned only)
- Season 6
- My Heart Will Go On (photograph)
References in other episodes[edit | edit source]
- While researching the Merchant family Sam and Dean are shown a newspaper article by the owner of a secondhand bookshop. The article on the Merchant family is on the front page. The lead story is: "New Titanic Sinks, 1304 People Go To Watery Graves: Only 866 saved from 2,170 Aboard Liner Which Collides With Iceberg. Disaster Proves To Be the Greatest in Marine History of the World."
- Heaven and Hell
- When Dean and Anna made love, in the back of the Impala. The final shot of the scene is of a hand being placed on the steamed up window, reminiscent of the iconic scene from Titanic when Jack and Rose make love in the back of a car in storage in the 1997 movie Titanic.
- 99 Problems
- Dean refers to the angels as the ones having the only lifeboats on the Titanic.