|“||In the beginning, it was just me and sis. And it was fine. But I wasn't satisfied. So I made more. I created the world. But I didn't stop there. No, no, no! I got the bug. So I -- I kept creating. I made... other worlds. Different combinations, scenarios, characters. Different versions of the same characters. You know my -- "my other toys."||”|
The Universe is a collection of stars, galaxies, planets and realms.
|“||My world? This world? Nothing but failed drafts. And when he realizes that they're flawed, he moves on and tries again.||”|
|“|| Sam: How many are there? How many other worlds, or--or universes, or realities, or whatever?|
God: I don't know. Kinda lost count.
Alternate Universes are separate universes with their own history, origins, and inhabitants. An Alternate Universe is a universe with different properties and events from the main one. They are sometimes accessible by rifts opened in space and time through innate power or a powerful ritual.
In Destiny's Child, Billie states God is nearly done wiping out the Multiverse and will soon turn his attention back to the Main Universe.
Known Alternate Universes
- The French Mistake (Supernatural is just a TV show)
- Apocalypse World (Mary Campbell refused to make a deal with Azazel)
- The Bad Place (A wooded world that appears to be ruled by monsters; destroyed by God in Galaxy Brain)
- Scooby-Doo Universe (An animated world where the Scooby Gang exists)
- Yokoth and Glythur's World (A universe mostly consumed by the gods Yokoth and Glythur)
- Earth 2 (a world similar to Earth where God began the destruction of his creations)
- HunterCorp World (a world where Sam and Dean are hunters spoiled by their father who ran a hunting company; destroyed by God in Destiny's Child)
- A universe where Sam says "yes" to Lucifer, and Lucifer kills Dean after Dean fails to kill Lucifer with the Colt.
- A universe where Dean is a Knight of Hell, has the Mark of Cain and kills Sam with the First Blade.
- A universe where Demon Blood corrupts Sam and he kills Dean.
- A universe where everything is in reverse.
- A universe where the color yellow doesn't exist.
- A universe inhabited entirely by squirrels.
Alternate timelines are the product of time being altered, resulting in a divergent timeline.
Realms are separate planes of existence within one particular universe.
- Season 6
- Season 12
- Season 13
- Lost & Found (Apocalypse World)
- The Rising Son (Apocalypse World)
- War of the Worlds (Apocalypse World)
- The Bad Place (Apocalypse World; The Bad Place, first appearance)
- Wayward Sisters (The Bad Place; Apocalypse World, mentioned only)
- Devil's Bargain (Apocalypse World, mentioned only)
- Good Intentions (Apocalypse World)
- Scoobynatural (Scooby-Doo Universe)
- The Thing (Yokoth and Glythur's World and Apocalypse World, mentioned only)
- Bring 'em Back Alive (Apocalypse World)
- Unfinished Business (Apocalypse World)
- Beat the Devil (Apocalypse World)
- Exodus (Apocalypse World)
- Season 14
- Season 15
- Mary Winchester was trapped in Apocalypse World with Lucifer. However, Lucifer managed to escape in War of the Worlds.
- Kaia Nieves was trapped in the Bad Place for about two years from Wayward Sisters to Galaxy Brain after she was thought killed by Dark Kaia.
- Virgil is the first and longest character to be trapped in an alternate universe.
- The French Mistake is the only known universe without magic. A Goblet of Blood still works there though and can reach someone in the Main Universe. Additionally, the magic in the Bad Place is incompatible with the Main Universe as seen in the fact that the magic that the alternate Kaia used to open a rift did not work for her in the Main Universe to return home.
- While using Kaia's powers in an attempt to locate Mary Winchester, Jack sees windows into several different realities, one of which appears to be a paradise.
- The Apocalypse World is the most recurring alternate universe.
- Season 13 featured the most alternate universes and the most appearances of alternate universes. It also has several rifts open between the universes throughout the season.
- In Wayward Sisters, a rift was open between the Bad Place and the Main Universe for a few days. As a result, monsters from that alternate universe crossed over into the Main Universe. Though several were killed, Sam suggested that more monsters may have made it through before the rift closed that aren't accounted for.
- In Wayward Sisters, Dark Kaia opened a rift between the Bad Place and the Main Universe that was never seen to close. However, Dark Kaia's inability to use it to return to her world suggests that it closed off-screen.
- Despite Dean having been to multiple alternate universes, when the Winchesters use the Demon Tablet Alternate Reality Rift Opening Ritual to reach Apocalypse World, his hair is enough of a guide to not end up in one of the other universes he has been to.
- Dark Kaia is the only one who has managed to open a rift between universes whose means of opening it have not yet been revealed, as Michael and Lucifer, the Winchesters, Castiel and Rowena, Diego Avila, Yokoth and the alternate Kevin Tran all opened their rifts through two powerful spells and Jack opened the rifts through his own innate power. Dark Kaia stated the magic she used from her world to open the rift didn't work in the Main Universe.
- Alternate Michael has stated in Nihilism that the alternate universes are God's failed drafts. However, this is unconfirmed and may simply be Michael's bitter belief instead of actual fact.
- When Sam asked God about the alternate realities, God dismissively admits that he found the alternate universes to be boring but at the same time God did seem offended when Sam asked him if what Michael said is true, indicating although God doesn't have much liking to the alternate universes, he doesn't actually consider them failures.
- However, it's revealed that, despite the alternate realities offer what God wants, he finds them to be distractions in comparison to the original universe, which is the one he truly cares about.
- According to God in Galaxy Brain, some of these universes are complex in destroying as some require time to be destroyed while others are erased easily.