The Girl With The Dungeons and Dragons Tattoo is the 20th episode of Season 7. It aired on April 27th, 2012.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
Dick Roman (James Patrick Stuart) acquires Frank's hard drive that contains sensitive information about the Winchesters and gives it to an unsuspecting brilliant hacker named Charlie (guest star Day) telling her she has 48 hours to crack the firewall or she is fired. Sam and Dean are tipped off that Dick has the hard drive and race to get to Charlie before she breaks the code. Meanwhile, Bobby (Jim Beaver) tries to help the brothers, but his rage towards Dick for killing him starts to get in the way.
Sam and Dean set up at Rufus's cabin and try to figure out a pattern to Dick Roman's dig sites without success. The electricity around them flickers and Bobby appears and then flickers out momentarily. He warns them that he doesn't know how long they have until he fades out again and goes over the numbers in Wisconsin that he gave them. Bobby tells them that the Leviathans have broken ground already on the site and explains that they're building a state-of-the-art slaughterhouse. Dick plans to dumb everyone down using the contaminated meat, then cure humans of all the major diseases. Once the Leviathans have created the perfect herd, they'll start harvesting humanity.
Dean and Sam then receive an email from Frank that he prepared in case of his death, or if someone tried to hack his hard drive, warning them that they have trouble. Frank's hard drive has compromising information on the Winchesters and has a tracking device in it. Sam tracks the signal to Richard Roman Enterprises's corporate headquarters.
Five Hours Earlier
A young woman named Charlie Bradbury arrives at Richard Roman Enterprises on her scooter and walks in past security. She goes to her desk and chats with her co-worker, Harry, while transferring funds away from a conservative super PAC. When Harry warns her against it, Charlie insists she can cover it. Her boss, Pete, calls Charlie to his office where Dick Roman is waiting. He says that he's close to victory and tells her that he knows all about her online hacking activities. However, Dick says that he's impressed and says that it's impossible to copy people like her, referring to the Leviathans replacing people. He then shows her Frank's hard drive, claims that he was hacking the company computers, and tells Charlie to crack it in the next three days or she's fired.
Charlie tells Harry what happened and goes to work at her desk. She seems to have cracked it, believing it to be filled with games, but it is just another trick that Frank installed.
As Dean and Sam prepare to head for the company HQ in Chicago, Bobby reminds them that the Leviathans know their faces and suggests that they mail in his flask instead. The brothers hesitate and then finally admit that they're worried that Bobby will become enraged and attack Dick. They refuse to let him help, much to his surprise and shock, and head out for Chicago.
The next morning, Harry finds Charlie still working on the hard drive. She finally gets access and can't resist looking at the files that Frank put together on Dick and the Leviathans. Once she finishes reading everything, she checks to see where Pete is and Harry says that he went down to the parking garage for a smoke.
In the parking garage, Dick confronts Pete and tells him that he has no spark and has his fellow Leviathan take on Pete's form and then kill him. Charlie, just coming down in the elevator, sees the entire thing. She quickly gets out and goes home, and the fake Pete calls to see where she is. She claims that she "has cramps", hangs up, and heads for the door, when Dean and Sam arrive. She grabs a prop sword and hits Sam, but they quickly disarm her and use borax to prove that they're not Leviathans.
The brothers bring her up to speed and demonstrate that they found her because Frank jacked her webcam. They explain that Dick is the Leviathan leader and ask her to hack his e-mails, and convince her that the Leviathans are a threat. Charlie goes to work, but discovers that Dick's e-mail is on a personal server and they have to go to his office to access it. She hesitates to go in, but the brothers point out that she's on Dick's radar and he'll come after her eventually. Charlie agrees to help them and go back inside, but says that she'll need their help. Dean has her hack the security system and they put together a fake key card, while Bobby's ghost watches.
That night, Dean and Sam park outside and Sam puts the cameras on a repeating loop, giving her fifteen minutes. Charlie states that if she can't complete the task in under that, "she deserves to be eaten". However, Dean spots her on the camera and realizes that Bobby has planted his flask in Charlie's bag. They call her and tell her not to lose the flask without telling her what it means. Charlie freezes up and Sam talks her through it, telling her to kick ass just like Hermione in the Harry Potter books. She goes in past the guard and takes the elevator to the upper floors. There's another male guard on duty and Dean tells her to flirt with him, and Charlie reveals that she isn't interested in men. Dean coaches her through flirting with the guard, Bill. It works, more or less, and Charlie asks to use the executive washroom before she goes.
Charlie gets into Dick's office and easily hacks his password. As she downloads the files, Bill wonders where she is and goes to check on her. Bobby manages to move a door behind the guard, distracting him long enough for Charlie to hide. As he starts to walk toward the computer, Charlie comes out of the bathroom and distracts him from seeing the fact that she's downloading Dick's files. Once the download is done, she secretly pulls out the flash drive and gets out.
At the van, Dean gets impatient at being stuck, while Sam prepares borax Molotov cocktails. Charlie goes to her desk and sends them the files. The fake Pete comes in and Charlie tells her that she's working a deadline. He touches her briefly and wishes her well and then leaves. Charlie then checks the files and discovers that Dick stopped the digs days ago. They figure he found what he was looking for. Charlie discovers that Dick had an item shipped from Iran to the office and it will be arriving that night at a private airport in 42 minutes.
One of the Leviathans, Victor, is at the airport and calls to tell Dick that the package has arrived. Dick tells him that he's waiting... and then walks over to Charlie's desk as she gets up to go.
At the airport, Victor gets the suitcase and drives away while Sam and Dean look on. Victor takes it to Dick but they discover that it contains a borax bomb.
Two Hours Earlier
Charlie clears the Winchesters' information off of the computer and then sends an email telling Dick and Victor that the plane was delayed. At the airport, Dean and Sam disguise themselves as airport workers and substitute their suitcase for Dick's. Dick walks over to Charlie's desk and asks her to show him what they've got.
Sam and Dean check the suitcase and discover that it holds a hunk of red clay. They call Charlie, who is showing Dick the hard drive contents. Meanwhile, Bobby hovers over Dick, vowing vengeance, and tries to focus his willpower to do something. Charlie reports that there's nothing about the Winchesters on the drive and Dick tells her to send the information to him. He then has her walk through the procedure she used to hack the drive, complaining that he can't copy imagination. Dick gets a call about the suitcase and has Victor bring it up to his office, and tells Charlie to stay put. She heads out just as the borax bomb explodes. Dick survives the explosion and calls security to lock the building down.
Charlie is caught in the lobby as Dick and Pete arrive. Bobby shatters the glass and then knocks the two Leviathans back, while Sam and Dean break in through the glass. They take out Pete with borax and Bobby shoves Dick back, inadvertently breaking Charlie's arm. Dick calls on Bobby to show himself, laughing, and Sam and Dean carry the injured Charlie out. As they drive away, the brothers explain that they haven't figured out how to kill him yet. Back at the company, a furious Dick calls out a security alert on the Winchesters and then eats Victor for his failure.
Later, the brothers get Charlie to the hospital and get her arm fixed. As they take her to the bus depot, she tells them never to contact her again and explains that it isn't the first time she's disappeared. Once Charlie leaves, the brothers discuss whether Bobby is going insane with hatred now that he's a spirit. Sam wonders what to do, but Dean says that they need to deal with the Leviathans and the clay piece first.
- James Patrick Stuart as Dick Roman
- Felicia Day as Charlie Bradbury
- David Stuart as Pete Miller and Tarrell
- Darcy Laurie as Victor
- Nickolas Baric as Tarrell
- Michael Adamthwaite as Bill
Featured Supernatural Beings
- Leviathans (Dick Roman, Tarrell, Victor; George, flashback only)
- Ghost (Bobby Singer)
- Vengeful Spirit (Bobby Singer, briefly)
- The master Leviathan plan is addressed as well as the numbers Bobby wrote on Sam's hand.
- The boys found out that Bobby is a ghost in the previous episode.
- Dick Roman previously appeared in Death's Door.
- Dean brings up George and what he told them about the cancer research center in Out With The Old.
- Antagonists: Dick Roman, Victor and Tarrell.
- The title references the book turned movies, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, as well as the RPG, Dungeons & Dragons.
- The line with Charlie saying "Kick it in the ass" is a nod towards the former producer and director of Supernatural Kim Manners.
- This is the second time the show has made references to the Harry Potter series. The first being from Like A Virgin where Bobby asked if he should call upon Hogwarts for information on dragons. During this episode, Charlie mentions Hermione Granger, a character from Harry Potter. She mentions Hermione being her favorite character in the books.
- In one of Dick Roman's emails, it is revealed that he is using a private jet owned by Donald Trump to transport the Leviathan Tablet. Donald Trump was previously mentioned in Shut Up, Dr. Phil. He is later mentioned again in Season 13's Let the Good Times Roll when Sam informs the refugees from Apocalypse World, which includes an alternate Bobby, about Donald Trump being President of the United States.
- When Dick Roman exploits Charlie's "spark", a blurred out pornographic poster depicting a woman strapped to a vibrating chair can be seen on the right side of her desk socketed on to the wall. That previously said blur was a skilled on-purpose result of the camera's focus while shooting the scene.
- There are references to the Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. When Charlie is introduced and reaches her desk, posters and figurines are seen of Lord of the Rings, Star Wars and Harry Potter. When Dean, Sam and Bobby's ghost find out that Frank Devereaux's hard-drive is at Richard Roman Enterprises, Dean says, "Perfect. It's in the middle of the death star."
- While Charlie is trying to hack into Frank's hard drive at about 10 minutes and 32 seconds into the episode, a list of games appears on the screen and the computer asks if she wants to play a game of chess. Charlie types 'LOGON: joshua' into the computer and the computer types back 'GREETINGS PROFESSOR FALKEN'. This is referencing the movie 'WarGames' that came out in 1983. The computer is Joshua and Professor Falken is the one who programmed Joshua.
- At about 14 minutes and 13 seconds into the episode, Charlie's friend gives her a mug that says 'Wonder Woman' on it while he is seen drinking from a mug with the batman sign on it.
- Dean: Doesn't mean I got to be happy about sending in Veronica Mars.
- Veronica Mars was the lead character, played by Kristen Bell, in the TV series of the same name, about a teenager who moonlights as a private detective. Kristen Bell was also the original choice for Ruby in season 3. Steven Williams (Rufus Turner) and Alona Tal (Jo Harvelle) were both on Veronica Mars.
- The CW's official summary for this episode mistakenly does not cite both Jim Beaver and James Patrick Stuart as guest stars.
- On closer inspection, Frank's voiceover of Charlie Bradbury reading his notes doesn't actually match much of the information that's on-screen when Charlie first opens the file on Frank's hard drive, though some of it is the same. Its possible that Charlie was reading from more than just the visible notes that popped up however.
- During her first meeting with Sam and Dean, Charlie comes to the realization that Dick Roman is a Leviathan after Sam asks her about hacking into Dick's email. However, she had already read that Dick is a Leviathan on Frank's hard drive and witnessed Dick having Tarrell eat and copy Pete Miller.
- When Charlie asks if Dick's a leviathan, Sam mistakenly says no he's their leader, but it is still correct he's a leviathan nonetheless.
- "Walking On Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves
- Dean: What you're gonna do is walk right up to him, and you're gonna flirt your way past.
- Charlie: I can't, he's not my type.
- Dean: You're gonna have to play through that.
- Charlie: As in, he's not a girl.
- Dean: Oh. Oh. Uhh, pretend he has boobs.
- Charlie: ...Worse.
- Dean: Do you have any tattoos? Give him a little sneak peek there. All tattoos are sexy.
- Charlie: Mine is Princess Leia in a slave bikini straddling a 20-sided die... I was drunk, it was Comic-Con!
- Dean: We've all been there.
- Charlie: So, good luck saving the world. Peace out, bitches.
- Dean: She's kind of like the little sister I never wanted.
- Hungarian: A lány aki túl sokat tudott (The girl who knew too much)