Telekinesis is the ability to move or otherwise exert force on objects or people from a distance and without physical contact. The ability is often used with gestures or other forms of bodily movements. However, it is also used with some form of mental effort, as well as with strong emotion. It is one of the most commonly used supernatural powers in the series. It has been employed by humans through magic like witchcraft and sorcery or from being a psychic or medium. It is one of the notable and commonly employed abilities used by demons. The pagan Deities normally have this power as well. Primordial Entities and Angels also have used this power.
Levels of TelekinesisEdit
This level of telekinesis is for basic practitioners, who are capable of moving or otherwise exerting force on small to medium-sized targets, but usually only what they are able to perceive with physical senses. Offensive and defensive uses including grabbing, pulling, lifting or knocking down a target from a distance, making them glide along the floor as they stand (usually towards the user so they can be physically attacked or restrained), pinning them onto walls and leaving them suspended against it or sending them flying through the air a great distance.
This level of telekinesis is for advanced practitioners, who can exert more extreme and precise amounts of force on targets that cannot normally be perceived (such as organs) and can even defy extreme forces already exerted on a target (such as the force propelling a bullet). Therefore, users of telekinesis have demonstrating being able to stop bullets. Advanced users are able to generate more force that basic users, enough to suspend the movements of targets, immobilize them or even control their motor skills to some extent. They are able to torture others by causing internal damage, usually by crushing organs or breaking bones, which often results in the receiver convulsing and coughing up blood. A user can specifically target other parts of the body, such as the neck, allowing the user to restrict air and blood flow, and to squeeze or even break the neck of a victim. Their more extreme precision allow them to not inflict lethal or truly debilitating damage, unless they want to.
Characters with this abilityEdit
- Max Miller - He could make use of this ability very well, as demonstrated when he used it to kill his father and uncle and later when trying to kill his stepmother in Season 1 episode Nightmare. He also used it on the Winchester brothers before killing himself by pointing a gun at himself and firing it telekinetically, he gained the ability because of Azazel's blood and he is one of the Special Children.
- Sam Winchester (inactive) - He discovered that he could use telekinesis when he had adrenaline rushes, (Nightmare) although he can use it during the Season 4 while high on demon blood (but only on/against Demons), it is one of Sam's natural abilites, but since he has not trained it without the demon blood, it can only be accessed while he is on adrenaline rushes.
- Dean Winchester (formerly) - With the power of the Mark of Cain, Dean displayed telekinesis to pull The First Blade into his hand. He used this twice, pulling the First Blade into his hand to kill Abaddon and then using it to pull it to his hand during his fight with Metatron though that time he still failed to harm his opponent after retrieving the First Blade.
- Deities - Most deities have been seen in possession of this power.
- Artemis - She flung and pinned Sam and Dean to the wall while applying pressure on them to keep them there and cause them slight pain.
- Leshi - She possessed this ability.
- Kali - She made a chandelier fall to the ground and the room shake when she became angry when Lucifer killed Baldur.
- Veritas - She has been shown to move several things as heavy as humans (Sam and Dean) with a single hand gesture.
- Zeus - Very proficient, he overpowered, threw and tortured Prometheus with ease.
- Calliope - This Greek goddess could thrust Sam against a door with the power of her mind.
- Loki - Loki was able to fling Gabriel against a wall with just a wave of his hand.
- Angels, Seraphim and Archangels - They rarely use this ability but they have been shown to use it. Castiel, for example, used telekinesis to open Bobby's Panic Room to let Sam escape and Naomi snapped a woman's neck by snapping her fingers. Anna foiled a demon attack by using telekinesis before she had even recovered her memory of being an angel.
- Demons - This ability is the most used ability by demons on screen, it has been used to kill, pin people against walls and many other things.
- Azazel - He had this power as demonstrated in All Hell Breaks Loose, Part 1 as he shows Sam a vision of the night he visited him. He had used telekinesis to pin Mary to the ceiling before having her burst into flames. While pinning her, he exerted enough force to make her completely unable to move or even speak. He has used it on multiple mothers not just Mary. It was first seen when Azazel, possessing John, pins Dean to a wall in Devil's Trap.
- Meg - When she broke into Bobby's house to get the Colt, she immediately threw him and Dean against a wall using telekinesis.
- Tom - He used it against John Winchester as he tried to flee Tom and Meg.
- Astaroth - A very powerful telekinetic able to stop a bullet from the Colt, a feat displayed by no one else. Also able to pin Sam and Dean to the wall with no apparent concentration and put force against them enough to make the wall break. She also broke Renee's neck with telekinesis.
- Lilith - She was extremely powerful with telekinesis, able to throw grown men with a flick of her wrist.
- Ruby - She was able to shut the door of St. Mary's Convent with just a hand gesture.
- Crowley - Is able to pin two people at once to walls, snap a person's neck with his mind, and lift a person to an impressive height.
- Abaddon - Toys with Sam by flinging him across the room many times in Sacrifice. Pins Dean to a wall in King of the Damned, but he eventually proves immune to her power.
- Cain - Was able to open and close doors with a snap of his fingers. Also able to throw people around with waves of his hand. Even while in a devil's trap, Cain still possessed this power.
- Jesse Turner - He is able to telekinetically control objects and people with his mind, which allowed him to summon a chair over to Julia Wright's demon, forcing her to sit down and be unable to move her mouth to speak.
- Jack - Was able to emit powerful blasts of telekinetic energy strong enough to freeze the motion of a target or exert enough concussive force to render humans unconscious. He is even able to easily overpower angels using the ability, which allowed him to force an angel to stab himself with an angel blade. When using this on Zachariah to lift him into the air, he was able to inflict immense pain on him in the process. Even a being as powerful as the apocalypse world version of the archangel Michael is vulnerable to Jack's telekinesis as evidenced by when Jack blasted him off his feet without any visible effort.
- Ghosts - When Sam and Dean went into the spirit realm they found a ghost of a deceased child who taught them how to use this power. It is utilized through intense concentration, but becomes easier with time and practice.
- Whore of Babylon
- Witches (Verbal- and Non-Verbal)
- The Darkness
- The Shadow
- Demons use this ability quite frequently to pin people against walls and have done so multiple times to stop them from moving.
- Angels use this ability as well but not as often, and it is often more powerful than demons. They also show incredible precision and greater control over this ability.
- Ghosts also display this ability fairly frequently, one of their most displayed powers.
- Most disembodied and incorporeal beings, such as ghosts and primordial beings without vessels, are able to use the ability without being present at the place where their target is, possibly due to being able to perceive beyond their present location and not being limited by a physical body in terms of senses and presence.
- Gestures and general bodily movements are used for this ability even by the most powerful of users, though it is shown that the even less powerful users do not necessarily need to. The most powerful of Primordial Entities, such as God, as well as most other disembodied and incorporeal beings, such as ghosts, have demonstrated using telekinesis by just looking at their target.
- Rowena and Astaroth share the same feat. Both were capable to stop a bullet that could potentially kill them, through telekinesis.