There's a topic I'd like to discuss with anyone who's willing:
Death says that human souls can't be destroyed. If that's the case, how is it possible for the big-time magic knife or the colt to kill demons? Despite being heavily perverted and denigrated, aren't they still human souls, technically?
Damaijin 19:10, January 30, 2012 (UTC)
Okay, I've got it, the soul is energy right, that is what it is, and energy can't be destroyed, that is a basic physical law, but it can be transfered, thats how several beings can devour souls, (Famine, Crotta, Shrtiga ect.) the energy is simply transfered into what they need it for, so as such techniqually it has been destroyed.
As to your question, I think, the gun and the knife, don't destroy the soul, they mearly kill the sapeint part of it, as such the energy just disarpates, that is why when they use either there are those flashes of energy, its the energy of the souls disipating into the environment. Anyone want to challange this? General MGD 109 18:27, June 1, 2012 (UTC)
- Yeah, sure. Dissipates in dispersing means apparates into nothingness, so where does it go, General MGD 109? Destroyed demons DON'T respawn in Hell, so.... Death could be wrong, as he's not All-knowing, only God is. -- ImperiexSeed, 2:35 PM, June 1st 2012
No, Death says that souls can't be broken, not that they can't be destroyed. As he explained to Dean, the human soul isn't like pie, it can be bludgeoned and tortured but it can't be broken into pieces.L4D2 Ellis (talk) 18:44, October 5, 2012 (UTC)
The soul is the source of a being's thoughts, memories, emotions, sentience, and consciousness. Isn't this somewhat inaccurate in the SERIES lore? As, Robo or Soulless Sam said that he still had all his memories and thoughts, just no feelings. The latter was stated to Kevin's mother when she was going to sell her soul. She asked if giving it up would kill her, and Dean said no, just that she wish she would be.[[User:Twilight Despair 5|]] ([[The God of Creation]]) (talk) 02:31, June 13, 2013 (UTC)
- My theory is both the soul and physical brain record memories. But it's not really Sam. Robo Sam's sentinence and emotions is only an illusion created from having the same memories as him, just like you can create a robot that seems human. Seattleite (talk) 05:52, October 18, 2014 (UTC)
Umm, I am confused. Why did you remove that souls are magical in nature. The wording might be not completely canon, but Henry and Abaddon said it was a spell that he used and it tapped the power of his soul. That would give evidence that souls are at least, useable for magic spells. As well as the limited reality altering deals, that Crossroad demons use that require a soul to seal the deal.[[User:Twilight Despair 5|]] ([[The God of Creation]]) (talk) 02:52, June 13, 2013 (UTC)
I don't recall removing that statement. I only fixed the description in souls being indestructible but not immune to harm (as the previous wording was confusing). FTWinchester (talk) 13:42, June 13, 2013 (UTC)
Someone should really change that. If Death says souls are impermanent that means they can't be eternal can they? --126.96.36.199 15:49, December 9, 2014 (UTC)
He could've been talking about their impermanence in the human body. -- ImperixSeed, 10:54 AM, December 9th 2014
OK is there a reason why every edit I make here is reverted? Why couldn't the thing with the Darkness stay up there? It said right here that Soul Consummation is one of her powers KillRoy231 (talk) 04:31, October 20, 2015 (UTC)
Contradiction of the SoulEdit
Hello, sorry if this is the wrong place - totally new to all this. Before I go off on a mass 'Soul' editing spree on the wiki, I'd like to get other's thoughts and a potential contradiction to the apparent indestructability of the soul.
So it has been previously stated that the soul, whilst moldable in some fashion, cannot be broken, it cannot be destroyed. It is indestructable. And yet the recent inclusion of the Enochian Soul Stabilization Ritual and Jack's seeming complete loss of his soul directly contradicts this, does it not? His soul was burned away until there was nothing left (or even if there is something left, it still has had a large portion completely destroyed) - so a soul is most certainly not indestructable and can be broken.
Am I missing something here, or can I go ahead and start trying to figure out how to add on that little caveat to the wiki?
- It's likely another plot hole by ignorant writers. I wouldn't read too much into it. Zane T 69 (talk) 19:47, April 13, 2019 (UTC)
- Yeah the 'logic flaws' are increasing in number, and usually I find a way to explain them but couldn't with this one. I just wanted to make sure that someone checking here for info (and who isn't caught up with the show) would not have misinformation. But if you suggest it's best left as is, I'll do that. Thanks. DarthSamboo (talk) 20:21, April 13, 2019 (UTC)
- Well, I would advise you to check in on this topic still and watch for other opinions. Zane T 69 (talk) 20:57, April 13, 2019 (UTC)
- It's not only the Enochian Soul Stabilization Ritual that can destroy souls, the Darkness, Crocottas, Shtrigas, Soul Eaters, Grigoris, Famine, even some ghosts, etc can feed (destroy) souls as well, just see the Soul Absorption page. I think it should just be added to the Canon Discrepancies page, i could do it :v. Doctor49 (talk) 23:19, April 13, 2019 (UTC)
- Hi, Doctor49! I had considered these as well (some of them anyway, I couldn't remember them all - well done!) but couldn't be certain the souls being absored were actually destroyed at any point (as in do they gradually get used up until they cease to exist, or are they still there but now just a part of the snatcher until said snatcher meets their own end?).. I like to try my best to come up with acceptable excuses to get the show out of the logic flaws it sometimes puts itself in, so sorry for that stretch, haha. I had no idea a Canon Discrepancies page existed.. I could probably spend a few weeks filling that page ;) I am happy to add it to the discrepancies page myself, as the one who brought it up I'd feel lazy to then pass the buck. Unless it is more beneficial for you to do it yourself, in which case I'm more than happy to pass the buck? I've spent hours on this wiki as a reader before, but I'm new as a contributor so don't really know what's best. DarthSamboo (talk) 22:42, April 16, 2019 (UTC)
- Sorry to spam my own post, but are we saying it's good to add this to the Canon Descrepancies page then? I don't wanna go add it if that's jumping the gun and will get me in trouble, haha DarthSamboo (talk) 22:00, April 26, 2019 (UTC)
- Ohh i'm sorry man, i didn't saw you comment after mine before, but to me it's ok to add it to the CD page, just ask some adm like Zane T first to make shure, and if there is other plot holes you know about add them in the CD page too, that's what the page is for :v Doctor49 (talk) 04:09, April 27, 2019 (UTC)