Supernatural: One Year Gone is a tie-in novel that explains and shows insight on the year that Sam was 'Soulless' and Dean was with Lisa and Ben Braeden. It also explains how Sam met Samuel Campbell and started hunting alongside his cousins.
Believing Sam is in Hell, Dean tries to keep his promise to his younger brother and live a normal life with Lisa and Ben. However, when he realizes that a spell in the Necronomicon could raise Lucifer and therefore Sam, he convinces his new family to travel with him on vacation to Salem. Meanwhile, Sam is not as far away as Dean thinks and has his own reasons for hunting the Salem witches...
The Campbell family's origins are explored. Nathaniel, the head of the family, tries to prevent innocent women from being tried as witches. He sacrifices himself to stop a few witches from bringing back Lucifer.
- Leviathan (Mentioned Only)
- Lucifer (Flashbacks)
- Gwen Campbell
- Mark Campbell
- Sheriff Jacqueline Daniels
Featured Supernatural Beings
- Dean believes Sam is still in hell with Lucifer.
- Samuel thinks about the deal with Crowley to bring Mary back.
- Antagonists: Constance Ball and Prudence Lewis.
- The "Battle of Mission's Ridge" in the novel is possibly a parody of the Battle of Missionary Ridge, which happened in Tennessee in 1863, ending in a Union victory.
Leviathan in the book is noted to be the second Prince of Hell and not the shapeless creatures that would appear later on in the show.