A rash of strange deaths in the Tahoe National Forest brings Sam Winchester, Dean Winchester, and Bobby Singer to the Sierra Nevada mountains to hunt a monster with a taste for human flesh. Soon walking corpses, bodies with missing organs, and attacks by a mysterious flying creature lead the trio to a cunning and deadly foe which can assume human form. When a blizzard strikes the area, and not knowing who they can trust, they must battle not only the monster but also the elements to survive.
Featured Supernatural BeingsEdit
- Archangel (Lucifer, hallucination)
- Aswang (Jason)
- Leviathan (mentioned only)
- Rakshasa (mentioned only)
- Seraphim (Castiel, flashback and mentioned only)
- Vengeful Spirit (George Drechler)
- Vampires (Jimmy)
- Wendigo (William Foster; Colorado Wendigo, mentioned only)
- Dean remembers killing Amy.
- Sam is shown dealing with his hallucinations through the hand scar.
- Dean remembers Castiel releasing the Leviathans.
- Bobby mentions a Rakshasa and Dean mentions that it might be a clown like last time.
- Dean remembers killing a Wendigo in Blackwater Ridge, Colorado.
- The book says Sam got his hand scar when Dean stabbed him, while in the show he got it after falling on broken glass.
- In the book, it's mentioned that the wendigo took a family of five. The hunters only find four: a little girl, her parents and the uncle the wendigo ate. No mention is ever made of the fifth, not even by the father who was hysterical over the loss of his brother.
- Antagonists: Jason and the Vampires
- This book is one of the few times in the series where one monster has gone up against another kind of monster when the newly-turned-vampire Jimmy attacked the Aswang.