"Chaos breeds fear, fear breeds panic and panic breeds desperation and there's always profit to be made from desperation" - Eldon Frankenstein
The Frankenstein Family, also known as the Styne Family, is an ancient family which has consisted entirely of magic practitioners for multiple generations.
The family hails from an unknown country in Eastern Europe and are the root of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein story.
According to Men of Letters' files, the family, when known as the Stynes, has been dated back to the early 1800s, where they inexplicably 'popped out of nowhere'. They used spells for various but uncommon purposes (Most of their motives, reasons, and purposes of their actions were political and money). They used spells to create disease, to destabilize markets and they even helped the Nazis before they came into power and they profited from all of it.
Upon digging further into the Letters' files, the Winchesters discovered that the Stynes (when known as the Frankensteins before the 1800s) also helped to clean up the Black Plague (most likely after causing it in the first place), started the Hundred Years War and manipulated the Tudor monarchy into conquering Ireland.
The family also possessed a spellbook, a book of "Unspeakable Evil" known as the Book of the Damned. All the spells they used, came from the book and interestingly, the spells that they used are mental-based magics. However, 100 years ago, it somehow lost, possibly during World War I.
In 2015, a group of mercenaries lead by Jacob Styne, a member of the family came to America for searching the Book of the Damned and wanted to reclaim it back. All of them later defeated and killed in the final showdown by Sam, Dean, and Charlie. However, in the last breath, Jacob swear that his family will never stop looking for that book, indicating there are still many of the family members still active out of there.
The family later sent Eldon Frankenstein to track down Sam, Dean and Charlie. Dean captured Eldon who revealed that the family's real name is Frankenstein. After Mary Shelly found out their secrets and wrote a book about it, they had to change their name to hide themselves. The family harvests organs which they transplant into themselves to make themselves stronger and they capitalize on disastrous events to make a profit, often helping to cause them to begin with. According to Eldon, this included the events of September 11th, 2001 and the Arab Spring. The Book of the Damned only helped them until they lost it. The family extends all over the world and their ultimate leader is unknown to the lower members. Their search for the Book led them to find and kill Charlie after she figured out how to translate the Book of the Damned, but refused to turn over what she discovered.
Powers and Abilities
Due to a hybrid of magical knowledge and surgical enhancements, the family posses several powers beyond humans. They do not all share the same powers and ahve not yet had a chance to exhibit all their powers on the show.
- Enhanced Durability - They have been shown a certain degree of enhanced durability, requiring greater force than normal to kill them. It took Dean emptying every round in his gun to kill one member. Eldon Frankenstein was able to jump out of a third story building and land without a problem. He was also mostly unaffected by the blood loss of ripping his own arm off.
- Enhanced Strength - Eldon Frankenstein showed a degree of Superhuman strength, able to life a grown man above his head and rip his own arm off.
- Enhaned Agility - Eldon Frankenstein had enhanced agility, able to casually leap out of a third story building and land gracefully.
- Magic - They mastered a certain degree of magic that differ from the other magic practitioners on the show. However, all of them not yet demonstrated.
- Mental Manipulation - Only mentioned, not yet demonstrated.
- Disease Manipulation - Only mentioned, not yet demonstrated.