|“||Fair? The last one I killed was pretending to be a doctor. Feeding on the souls of humans, he was supposed to heal.||”|
The Grigori started out as a squad of elite angels thousands of years ago and were some of the first angels to walk the Earth. According to Tamiel, there were originally hundreds of them and they each had their name engraved on their angel sword. However, they eventually went bad and the other angels hunted them down and killed them. Unknown to the other angels, some of the Grigori survived and began feeding off of human souls as they saw humans as beneath them.
By 2020, Sariel had been operating out of a clinic in Cushing, Oklahoma for a number of years, working as a doctor and feeding on his patients. Sariel delivered both of the children of the local sheriff during this time. However, he was targeted by the resurrected Nephilim Jack Kline on the orders of Billie. Confronting Sariel in his office, Jack ripped out the Grigori's heart, killing him and then consumed it as part of Billie's plan for Jack to become strong enough to kill God. Before killing Sariel, Jack allowed him to call out over angel radio to his only surviving brother so that Jack could hunt him down and kill him too.
As a result of the security cameras in Sariel's office, part of the murder was caught on camera as well as Jack eating Sariel's heart. As Dean Winchester had used one of his FBI aliases to open a file on Jack the previous spring and make him wanted, Sheriff Evans attempted to contact him and instead reached the Seraphim Castiel who was shocked to see Jack alive. Investigating Sariel's office, Castiel found his angel sword hidden in a cabinet and, recalling Tamiel's words about the swords and the Grigori, realized what Sariel had been.
After being captured by the surviving Grigori Kabaiel, Jack pointed out how Sariel had been feeding on the souls of the people he was supposed to be helping as part of the reason for his actions. Kabaiel attempted to torture Jack for killing his remaining siblings, including Sariel, but he was killed by Castiel.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
As a Grigori, Sariel was part of an elite and very powerful class of angel.
- Immortality - Sariel has existed for thousands of years. As standard for an angel, he does not require food or water to survive.
- Angelic Possession - Like all angels, Sariel needed a vessel to walk the Earth. Like other angels, they need the vessel's permission.
- Soul Feeding - Sariel was able to feed on human souls to absorb their heavenly power. Jack stated Sariel had fed on the souls of his patients, who he was supposed to help.
- Invulnerability - As an angel, he was invulnerable to most forms of harm.
- Jack - Jack was able to kill Sariel by ripping out and eating his heart without even using his powers.
- Sariel is the name of a fallen watcher angel from lore.
- Sariel is called Dr. Sariel by Sheriff Evans while the police file on his murder identifies him as Dr. H. Sariel. Its unclear what the H was supposed to stand for.