This article is about a subject that is from official sources but is not considered canon.
Rite of Awakening is a ritual dedicated to Anubis to awaken him from his sleep.
For centuries, Anubis was worshiped by the jakkals as their god. The jakkals, in particular the Monsour family for untold generations, took care of Anubis' body and performed the proper rituals to keep him asleep when Anubis wasn't needed.
If they needed his help, they were able to awaken him from his sleep. Some time in 2016, Kayla and Muriel attempted to awake him, but due to Kayla's impatience, the ritual went wrong and Anubis went berserk, killing her in process.
The ritual is similar to Rite of Renewal. However, it requires a different incantation and a slightly modified spice composition compared to that previous ritual. Like Rite of Renewal, the ritual is very complex, requiring highly advanced potion brewing and spell casting, and require high precision in each step. If it's the botched even slightly, Anubis will be awaken improperly manner and will go berserk in the partial state of being awaken and in dreaming state.
The ritual was very lengthy. How many steps in the ritual is not revealed in detail. But largely, the steps are similar to the Rite of Renewal.
The offering elixir was brewed for offering. The elixir was very complex. The composition material is same, but in different ratio.
A bronze dagger, the Blade of Life Everlasting, was later taken from a ritual bag. The dagger was used to draw the blood. The performer ritualistically takes 10 steps away, to the front of Anubis's Sarcophagus and opening it. The incantation must then be recited prior the blood taken.
The incantation was in Ancient Egyptian, and translated as follows:
- We praise you, Great Anubis, son of Nephthys and Set.
- Lord of the Sacred Land, Protector of the Dead, Guardian of Eternal Shadow.
- As we serve you, we now beg you to serve us.
- Rise from the never-ending darkness in which you dwell.
- Cast off the shackles of sleep, open your eyes, rejoin the land of the living, and let the world once more know your dread might.
The palm of the performer is later slit and the blood must be dropped into the chalice filled with elixir. The elixir will turn from a coppery color to the black and the smell turned from strong spices to quite nasty.
After that, the elixir must be given to Anubis' mummy. Anubis may awoken due to this, signified by his eyes turning red. Anubis will regain his heart beat again after long slumber.
When awakened, the caster proceeded to pray dedicated to him. The prayer recited in ancient Egyptian.
- My lord, thank you for answering our call. Your children have need of your strength and wisdom
The prayer later continued with a wish that addressed to the deity. It can be any. Kayla, in distress prayed this to the Anubis.
- Our family is under attack by a pack of iwiw. You must kill them—kill them all!
Due to prayed to kill them all specifically. Anubis proceeded to kill all of them, including Kayla.
Using a counter incantation can force Anubis to sleep again. The spell must be recited to Anubis softly, while also addressing forgiveness to the awakened Anubis.
- Great Dark One, return to your slumber. All is well.
In Kayla's case, Muriel recited this spell.
- Mighty Anubis, I beg your forgiveness. In her fear, my granddaughter rushed the Rite of Awakening. Great Dark One, return to your slumber. All is - (interrupted, but it should be ended with "well")
If there are some mistakes, even a small one, the ritual will fail. Failure in ritual can leave Anubis berserk.
Wrong and unspecified praying to him can leave Anubis to do exactly as said, even it kills the performer.