|“||Sam: Rakshasa. It's a race of ancient Hindu creatures. They appear in human form, they feed on human flesh, they can make themselves invisible, and they cannot enter a home without first being invited.
Dean: They dress up like clowns, and children invite them in. Why don't they just feed on the kids?
Sam: Not enough meat on the bones, maybe? Apparently, Rakshasa live in squalor. They sleep on a bed of dead insects. And they have to feed a few times every 20 to 30 years -- slow metabolism, I guess.
The Rakshasa is a mischievous and homicidal imp supernatural creature.
|“||Dean: Planes crash!
Sam: Yeah, and apparently, clowns kill.
— Sam and Dean
in Everybody Loves a Clown
Rakshasas are creatures from Hindu mythology, known for their traits of eating human flesh, sleeping on a bed of dead insects and shapeshifting to disguise themselves as humans. Fortunately for humanity, Rakshasas eat very sparingly every couple of three decades due to a very slow metabolism that affects their digestion. A rakshasa cannot enter a house without first being invited and to not draw unwanted attention to themselves, they adopt a life of poverty with some even living as vagabonds. The one in Supernatural appeared as a clown at the fair who would follow children home, get the child to let them into the house and then eat the parents.
The Rakshasa is disguised as the blind knife thrower who works with the circus. It appears to children as a jester, and, when they invite it into their home, it kills their parents. Ellen tells them the creature can be killed with a knife of pure brass. As it pursues them, it becomes invisible, but Sam manages to kill the Rakshasa with a brass pipe from the organ in the fun house.
Powers and Abilities
- Shapeshifting - They can take human form to disguise themselves and can distort their faces to partially reveal their true form.
- Invisibility - They can easily become invisible.
- Invulnerability - They can only be killed by brass, allowing it to quickly and completely recover from being damaged from anything else.
- Super Strength - They are incredibly strong, able to easily overpower and maul humans.
- Super Senses - They possess incredible hearing, as one was able to over hear Dean's entire conversation, despite being outside the range of human hearing distance.
- Super Speed - They move really fast, appearing a mist-like blur.
- Brass - A Rakshasa can be killed with a brass knife. Sam killed the rakshasa in the fun house by breaking off a brass organ pipe and stabbing it with it.
- Invitation - A Rakshasa cannot enter a home without being invited in. The Rakshasa in Everybody Loves a Clown combated this by dressing as a clown so that the children would invite it in.
- Barry Papazian (deceased)
- Rakshasa's eyes are similar to those of Samhain.
- Before Barry Papazian was ousted as a Rakshasa, Mr. S. Cooper was suspected of being one, partially due to the fact that he worked with two circuses that the Rakshasa was believed to work in and that Cooper possessed a great resemblance to his father, who own the previous circus. This implies that the creature has some level of Longevity.