Prometheus is a pagan deity of the Greek pantheon. He is a Titan, described as a 'proto-god'. For a time he was named as Shane, was the lover of Hayley and father of her son Oliver. Prometheus was responsible for bringing fire down from Olympus and giving it to mankind to provide them with light and warmth and to protect them from monsters. For this action, which was considered an offense to the rule of the gods, Zeus chained Prometheus to a mountain and cursed him to die each day and have his entrails eaten by an eagle and then resurrect the next day to endure the process for all eternity.
Prometheus appears as a young adult male with brown curly hair and blue eyes and a beard.
Powers and Abilities
As a deity, Prometheus possesses several abilities that are common for his kind. He was also highly skilled at hand to hand combat, enough to defeat the Greek goddess of the hunt.
- Immortality - Prometheus was over 6,000 years old or older and retains the appearance and health of a young man. He has an infinite lifespan and is not subject to old age.
- Regeneration - After each resurrection, he was completely healed of all injuries.
- Invulnerability - Prometheus was not subject to disease or any other natural cause of death. He was only affected by them due to the curse Zeus placed upon him.
- Super Strength - He was able to overpower Artemis and throw her against a wall with considerable force. Also able to push an arrow through himself and into Zeus behind him.
- Resurrection - He has the ability to come back to life after being killed, although this was due to a curse laid to him by Zeus. Very few things are able to kill him permanently such as Artemis' Blade and Artemis' Bow and Arrows.
- Curse Removal - When Prometheus first demands that Zeus removes the curse on his son, Zeus asks why he doesn't just do it himself, implying that he could before he got amnesia.
Prometheus was responsible for stealing fire from Olympus and gave it to humans. According to Zeus, Prometheus's act was the reason the Greek gods were no longer worshiped and no longer ruling the world. For such actions, Zeus cursed Prometheus to die everyday. The titan was imprisoned in a mountain in Europe, where after thousands of years, he was discovered by a mountain climber named Hayley after an avalanche freed him.
Due to loss of memory, he forgot his past, and was given the name, Shane. He developed a relationship with Hayley, and even fathered a child. His curse passed on to his child as well, forcing him and the Winchesters to summon Zeus to lift the curse. In the confrontation, Zeus proved unyielding, until he managed to convince Hayley to release him from the trap. Zeus then attacked the hunters and Prometheus. Zeus promised to make up for lost time since Prometheus's escape from the mountain and started attacking Prometheus.
The titan was attacked by Zeus with a combination of electrocution and physical beating to the point of death. Meanwhile, Sam used the feelings Artemis was harboring for Prometheus to convince the goddess to put a stop to her father. Artemis threatened to kill her father with an arrow, but Zeus shielded himself from the attack by using the body of the titan. However, Prometheus pushed the bolt through himself into Zeus, killing him. Prometheus died permanently, but the curse on his son was broken. Hayley and Dean later cremated his body.
- Prometheus holds the title of being the first truly benevolent pagan god to appear on the show.
- Prometheus is the second deity that was shown to be killed by another deity, and the second deity to kill another deity.
- Interestingly Prometheus didn't seem aware of his other powers until he re-met Artemis. Suggesting that the danger unlocked them.
- Prometheus was also the god of forethought and crafty counsel.