|“||What was done to the Darkness can be done to God, if he's as weak as you say. And I know how. That's the spell.||”|
In 2019, after God begins trying to bring about the end of their world, the Winchesters and Castiel seek a way to trap God as he cannot be killed without ending everything due to God's mandatory existence. After learning that God has a secret fear that he only shared with his favorite, the Winchesters seek out the help of the archangel Michael who they believe to be God's favorite. After being convinced of God's betrayals and the threat his father poses, Michael provides Dean Winchester and Castiel with the spell, believing that with God weakened by the Equalizer, it will work. However, Michael warns that they will need a Leviathan Blossom which only grows in Purgatory as one of the ingredients. As such, Michael opens a twelve-hour rift to Purgatory for Dean and Castiel, but refuses to aid them any further.
After returning from Purgatory with the Leviathan Blossom, Dean and Castiel prepare the spell which requires someone to take on a Mark to contain God. Castiel intends to take on the Mark, but Sam Winchester refuses to complete the spell after God shows him an alternate timeline where they succeeded and the consequences of it. After finally being able to heal his wound, God is able to harmlessly destroy the spell.
In an alternate timeline that God shows to Sam, the Winchesters and Castiel are successfully able to perform the spell. However, the Mark drives Castiel crazy and he has to be locked in a Ma'lak Box. Monsters begin running rampant across the world, which God reveals is a consequence of using the spell to lock him away: without God there to maintain the balance between light and dark, darkness prevails.
The entity that the spell is being used on must be in a weakened state in order for the spell to work. The spell requires myrrh, cassia, and rock rose, while nectar from a Leviathan Blossom binds everything together. As most of the ingredients are mixed together in a bowl, an Enochian incantation is recited:
- "Zee-loh-dah-rup, ah-lahr, zee-zohp, ah-buh-rah-muh-jzh, ahm-ee-zuh-pee"
Once the incantation is completed, the person who is going to bear the Mark must add their blood to the ingredients. Once the blood is added, a final ingredient is thrown into the bowl causing the spell to take on the form of smoke that is then sucked up into a small orb. Once in front of the entity, someone other than the person taking the Mark must smash the orb which will activate the spell, trapping the entity and placing the Mark on the chosen bearer's arm.
- This is the same method God used to trap the Darkness after the archangels weakened her. Like God, the Darkness had to first be in a weakened state before she could be trapped and Michael knew the spell from when it was cast on the Darkness.
- However, it appears that, as the spell's creator, he can cast it without the ingredients, as shown in We Happy Few. This is also supported by the fact that all the spell's ingredients haven't yet existed when it was originally cast upon the Darkness.
- This is the oldest known spell in existence.
- In a deleted scene for The Trap, in what's possibly supposed to be a vision of the events surrounding the alternate timeline Sam, Dean, Castiel and Eileen, Dean and Castiel are shown arriving at the casino where the Chuck-controlled Eileen attacks Dean before being subdued by Castiel. After a shorter confrontation with Chuck where he and Dean do not exchange dialogue like in the episode, Sam smashes the orb when Castiel sends it to him, causing a rift to open and suck in Chuck, completing the spell. The Mark of Cain then appears on Castiel's arm.