Poltergeists are unique spirits which seek attention through sometimes violent and deadly actions.
Poltergeists are a type of spirit that seek recognition and attention, and will do anything to receive it. However, a Poltergeist is not a human spirit; it is a separate being of its own. Therefore, burning their remains is ineffective (and impossible). However, in John Winchester's journal, he claims that poltergeists can be destroyed the same way a normal hunter would deal with any other ghost, salting and burning the remains, this was later proven, by Sam and Dean (and Gary) while dealing with Maggie Briggs. This would mean Poltergeist were once human like ghosts were too, a possible explanation to this paradox, is that Poltergeists are separate beings, but human spirits can become Poltergeists. Their whole biology/make-up solely encompasses receiving attention, they are always invisible, and do not appear able to become visible.
When in a state of distress, they're strong enough to bench press a piano, they can also be quite powerful, one was able to perform several telekinetic attacks, in different areas of the house it was haunting at the several times, and when concentrated are very powerful telekinetic displays of power, able to throw grown men around like rag dolls. They are sometimes attracted to places where beings of great evil (such as powerful demons) manifested.
Powers and Abilities
- Telekinesis - One Poltergeist was able to throw around Sam, Dean and Missouri Moseley simulanously while they were in different rooms.
- House Purification Ritual - It is possible to use this to destroy a Poltergeist, if it is placed, in all the floors, of the north, south, east and west corners of the building its haunting. However, to stronger Poltergeists this might just wound them.
- Salting and Burning - John Winchester made it clear that poltergeists can be killed if you find its remains and you salt and burn them, that is if a spirit had manifested into a Poltergeist.
- Ghosts - If another ghost fights the Poltergeist then it will destroy both of them.
- Salt - Like all ghosts, salt repels and weakens Poltergeists.
- Iron - It is possible that iron can repel and weaken poltergeists because they are a type of ghost, but it has not been shown yet.
|The Titanic. Yes, well, uh, it was meant to sink, and I saved it.|
This article or section is about a canonical subject but contains information from sources (novels, animated series or comics) that are either not canon or are dubiously canon.
John Winchester's Journal Entry February 2003
Lithobolia: or, the Stone-Throwing Devil. Being an Exact and True Account (by way of Journal) of the various Actions of Infernal Spirits, or (Devils Incarnate) Witches, or both; and the great Disturbance and Amazement they gave to George Waltons Family, at a place called Great Island in the Province of New-Hantshire in New-England, chiefly in Throwing about (by an Invisible hand) Stone, Bricks, and Brick-bats of all sizes, with several other things, as Hammers, Mauls, Iron-Crows, Spits, and Other Domestick Utensils, as came into their Hellish Minds, and this for the space of a Quarter of a Year.
- Hell of a title. 1698 account by Richard Chamberlain of 1682 haunting attributed to the neighbor being a witch. No record of whether neighbor was tried. Other notable American poltergeists-the Wizard of Livington, Virginia, 1797; Bell Witch, Kentucky, 1817; Fox sisters, 1848, were a hoax but initial events might be real.
- Overlap with incubus/demonic possession in Entity and Smurl cases, both in the 1970s.
- Missouri says poltergeists are unquiet spirits, not psychokinetic projections. They want attention and if they don't get it they progress from nuisance to danger. Only way to get rid of them is the same way you get rid of any spirit. Find the remains, or the haunted object, salt and burn, repeat as necessary.
- Season 1
- Season 2
- Hollywood Babylon (mentioned only)
- Season 5