A pentagram, or pentacle, is a symbol or amulet used for protection. Unlike what is commonly believed, pentacles are a very powerful protection against evil.
Pad of DefinitionsEdit
Its content says: "The most common symbol of Neo-Pagan Witchcraft, it has nevertheless been denigrated by movie and publishing industries that try to connect it with Satanism and other malevolent practices. However, like the Roman Cross or Crucifix, it is only when the symbol is INVERTED that it alludes to negativity. In its usual upright position (one point uppermost), the pentagram is an ancient symbol of protection from evil. Also called the endless knot (in its interlaced form), the pentagram was often displayed on doors, windows, and hearths of houses throughout pre-Christian Europe. It can be traced back to Egyptian and Sumerian cultures and has even been found on Native American medicine tools. Sometimes confused with the Star of David, or hexagram (a six-pointed star emblematic of Judaism), the pentagram is sometimes called the Star of Solomon, especially by ceremonial magicians."
In the series, it appears several times. The first one was in "Pilot", where Amy, the girlfriend of the boy killed by the Woman in White, wears a pentagram pendant. She tells Sam and Dean Winchester: "Troy gave it to me. Mostly to scare my parents with all that devil stuff." To which Sam replies "Actually, it means just the opposite. A pentagram is a protection against evil, really powerful. I mean, if you believe in that kind of thing." It appeared again in the same episode, in John Winchester's abandoned hotel room, which has a drawing of a pentagram pinned to the wall.
- In "Dead Man's Blood" and other episodes featuring The Colt, it is shown that it has a pentagram carved into the butt.
- Also, in the episode "All Hell Breaks Loose: Part Two", the Devil's Gate in Wyoming is locked with a pentagram, made by Samuel Colt, the maker of The Colt, which happens to unlock it.
- The pentagram is also used in a couple of versions of the Devil's trap.
- In addition, the Anti-possession symbol that Sam and Dean get as tattoos also features a pentagram.
- Mary is wearing a pentagram charm in the episode In The Beginning.
- Seen as one of the protection symbols carved onto Deans bed in Season 9 "Bad Boys" in the boys home.
A pentacle (or pentacle in Thelema) is an amulet used in magical evocation, generally made of parchment, paper or metal (although it can be made of other materials), on which the symbol of a spirit or energy being evoked is drawn. It is often worn around the neck or placed within the triangle of evocation. Protective symbols may also be included (sometimes on the reverse), a common one being the five-point form of the Seal of Solomon, called a pentacle of Solomon or pentangle of Solomon. Many varieties of pentacles can be found in the grimoires of Solomonic Magic; they are also used in some neopagan magical traditions, such as Wicca, alongside other magical tools.