Patience is the 3rd episode of Season 13. It aired on October 26, 2017.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
When her friend is murdered by a wraith (guest star Jon Cor) with a taste for psychics, Missouri (guest star Loretta Devine) enlists the help of Dean and Jody (guest star Kim Rhodes) to protect her granddaughter, Patience (guest star Clark Backo), who has no idea she shares her grandmother's trait and could be next on the wraith's hit list. Meanwhile, Sam continues to work with Jack on learning how to control his powers.
Held captive by the Wraith, Patience asks what it will do with her as he states he will pluck her brain for psychic abilities. Patience says she's not psychic but he rebukes that as her grandmother believed otherwise and taunts her about her death, just as her father, Dean and Jody barge in. The Wraith retreats with Dean and Jody following him while James tries to free his daughter before he is stabbed through the throat by the wraith, to Patience's horror. The Wraith then ambushes Jody and kills her as it goes after Dean who is promptly overpowered and killed. Patience screams at the sight before it is revealed to be a vision of the future for her as the wraith is taunting her as it did previously.
James, Dean, and Jody then barge in the room as the wraith falls back. When James tries to free his daughter, Patience recalls her vision and warns him to move which he does, allowing him to evade the Wraith's attack. James tries to attack it but is overpowered and knocked to the ground as the wraith goes after Jody but Patience warns her of the attack as she tries to fight back before she too is knocked away. When the wraith attacks Dean, the latter overpowers the wraith and is the one to avenge Missouri by killing the Wraith. With everyone alive, Dean asks Patience how she knew what would happen as she replies she may be psychic.
At the bunker, Sam goes to talk to Jack who casually reveals he used his powers to move the pencil as Sam congratulates him but Jack takes his congrats in stride while revealing Dean's promise to kill him. Sam then tells Jack he won't allow Dean to hurt him as Jack starts to have doubts of himself.
At the Moseley's house, James and Patience return home with Dean and Jody accompany them with Patience speaking to Dean and Jody. She tells them her father gave her the option of living a normal life which he suggested or being a hunter but she is unsure of the path to follow. Dean agrees with her father of having a normal life as one can never get the chance to have it after becoming a hunter. Jody and Patience are surprised by his outlook but Jody gives Patience her number to contact her if she ever faces a dilemma.
Dean returns to the Bunker where he is met by Sam who tells him that he heard of Missouri Moseley's death which Dean casually confirms. Sam then confronts Dean on his treatment to Jack stating he is not evil as Dean becomes angry and states Sam is trying to use Jack to open a rift to the other world while clinging to the lost hope their mother is still alive. Dean goes on by stating Jack was the cause of Castiel's death and how he can't look at Jack without being disgusted. Overhearing this, Jack sadly says Castiel's name as his eyes glow.
In a black realm, the essence of Castiel is sleeping before awakening to hearing Jack's voice calling his name. Castiel then looks around confused at where he is at.
- Jared Padalecki as Sam Winchester
- Jensen Ackles as Dean Winchester
- Misha Collins as Castiel
- Alexander Calvert as Jack Kline
Special Guest Stars
- Clark Backo as Patience Turner
- Adrian Holmes as James Moseley
- Jon Cor as Psychic Attacker
- Chelsey Reist as Dede
- Chanelle Peloso as Ronson
- Karen Khunkhun as News Reporter
- Elijah Silva as Gas Station Attendant
- La'Mya Jackson as Patience Turner
Featured Supernatural Beings
- Nephilim (Jack Kline)
- Prince of Hell (Asmodeus, mentioned only)
- Psychics (Dede, Missouri Moseley, Patience Turner)
- Seraph (Castiel)
- Wraith (Psychic Attacker)
- Missouri Moseley previously appeared in the Season 1 episode, Home. This is the longest gap between appearances for a character with a span of 258 episodes. The Winchesters refer to this when they comment on the fact that it has been more than a decade since they've seen her.
- Jody Mills previously appeared in the Season 12 episode, Who We Are.
- A wraith was previously featured as the monster of the week in the Season 5 episode, Sam, Interrupted.
- Jack watched a video made for him by Kelly Kline in Season 12 episode, All Along the Watchtower.
- The Empty was previously mentioned by Billie in the Season 11 episode, Form and Void.
- The episode was watched by 1.93 million viewers and got a 0.6 rating. This is the show's highest third episode rating since Soul Survivor in Season 10.
- This is the twenty-third episode to be named after a character with Bloody Mary, Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean Winchester, It's the Great Pumpkin, Sam Winchester, Death Takes A Holiday, Lucifer Rising, The Curious Case of Dean Winchester, Sam, Interrupted, Weekend at Bobby's, Death's Door, Party On, Garth, We Need To Talk About Kevin, A Little Slice of Kevin, Everybody Hates Hitler, Dog Dean Afternoon, Alex Annie Alexis Ann, Thin Lizzie, Don't Call Me Shurley, Celebrating The Life Of Asa Fox, Lily Sunder Has Some Regrets, Regarding Dean, Twigs & Twine & Tasha Banes and There's Something About Mary being the first twenty-two.
- Adrian Holmes previously appeared on the series as a demon in the season 3 episode, Time Is On My Side.
- Chelsey Reist also appeared on The CW's The 100.
- Alexander Calvert and Adrian Holmes both made recurring appearances on Arrow.
- This episode marks the first death of a recurring Winchester ally since Eileen Leahy in Season 12. Both Eileen and Missouri were killed by monsters who were targeting them.
- It is revealed that Sam's reason for helping Jack is because of how he felt, and was treated, when he had his own psychic powers from Azazel.
- This is the first episode to feature The Empty.
|“||You have an angel watching over you.||”|
|“||No, there'll be none of that. I've seen how this turns out. I run, you catch me, I die. I stay, I die. But this way, my people, they're going to murder your ass.||”|
|“||This life, hunting, monsters. There's no joy in it. There's nothing but pain, horror and death. So if you get a chance at normal, take it.||”|
|“||You don't have to listen to him, to either of them, if it's not what you really want. I had a daughter, I guess, Claire, and I asked her to stay in line, to fight who she really was 'cause I thought it would keep her safe. It didn't work. It never does. Your gift, you know, maybe you're right. Maybe it'll go away. But if it doesn't... you try to force it down to make someone else happy, you will only make yourself miserable. It's your choice but if you ever need someone to talk to or some place to go, my door is always open.||”|
|“||I know what it feels like, to feel like you don't belong, to feel like there's this darkness inside of you. To be scared of who you are, what you can do. Dean... Cass, my family helped me through that. So now I wanna help you||”|
|“||He manipulated him. He made him promises. Promised him paradise on Earth. And Cass bought it, and you know what that got him? It got him dead! Now you might be able to forget that, but I can't!||”|