This article is about a subject that is from official sources but is not considered canon.
Oblivion, also called Letho, was a greek goddess of memory and forgetfulness. She is self-described as "the great river", and one of the six rivers of the dead in Greek mythology. She appears in the book Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting.
Before the apocalypse was averted, she was under the employ of Heaven. Her job was to erase the memories of someone who had seen something they weren't supposed to see. Usually, these memories are related to supernatural phenomena.
She came across the Winchesters and Bobby Singer when she sought a memory of Bobby. This memory was his chief reason for living through everything he had been through. It was never stated what his memory was though Dean speculates it could be about his unborn child, including the names Bobby was thinking of giving to the child. Oblivion wanted desperately the memory of Bobby. She manipulated and fed from the hunters' memories and even used a Banshee to lure them back to her. As Bobby agreed to give up the memory she wanted, the Winchesters bombarded her with their memories of Hell which she was unable to resist. While Oblivion was distracted, Bobby killed her with a silver knife to the heart, causing all of the memories she'd stolen to return to their owners. Following some advice Rufus Turner once gave him, Bobby chopped Oblivion's body into five pieces to ensure that she was dead.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Immortality - Oblivion has the potential to live for eternity, not succumbing to aging, disease or decay.
- Invulnerability - Like many other deities, Oblivion is unharmed by conventional weaponry that could easily kill mortal beings. However, silver can kill her.
- Memory Manipulation - Oblivion can primarily remove certain memories. However, her abilities are not limited to such. She can also feed from a person's memory or make them relive certain memories. Upon her death, the memories that she stole were returned to their rightful owners.
- Auto-forced Empathy - She could feel the same sensations a person is feeling while she is feeding upon their memories, including pain and horror. This means that if a memory is particularly painful, it could also affect her negatively, as she was severely weakened after Sam and Dean started to relive their memories from Hell.
- Silver - Bobby Singer killed her with a silver knife to the heart.
- Dismemberment - After stabbing her, Bobby chopped Oblivion into five pieces to be sure she was dead following some advice Rufus Turner had given him on an earlier case involving a witch.