This article is about a subject that is from official sources but is not considered canon.
Night Hags are a race of creatures that appear in Supernatural: Night Terror. They were known to create and manipulate nightmares which would then materialize in the real world and go on killing sprees. They were described as a nightmare spirit from Polish folklore and are rare.
Night hags are nightmare spirits from Polish folklore. According to Bobby Singer, if the night hag isn't eventually killed, the nightmare manifestations will outlast the nightmares that spawned them and take on a life of their own. Sam speculates that Eve used night hags or similar beings to generate some of the monsters that hunters have been hunting for thousands of years.
In 2011, Olga Kucharski's grief over her grandson's death in a car accident a year before results in her dreaming of revenge on her grandson's friends who she holds responsible for his death. Her desire for revenge in her dreams was so strong it drew a night hag to the town of Clayton Falls, Colorado where Olga lived. Feeding off of Olga, the night hag manifested her grandson's car who killed two of his three friends and then began feeding off of the town's nightmares which had been augmented by a devastating fire six months before. Hunters Sam and Dean Winchester are drawn to the town where they figure out what they are dealing with and coordinate with the local police to fight the night hag and her manifestations. The night hag initially overwhelms the townspeople and hunters with Nazi zombies taken from the imagination of fourteen year old Trevor Deets, but Trevor's mother discovers the night hag and hits her with a cast iron skillet, injuring the hag and forcing her to retreat, ending the zombie attack. The night hag and her various manifestations kill several people before the night hag faces off with Sam. The night hag is able to paralyze Sam and send a manifestation of his soulless self, his greatest fear after Dean, but Sam allows himself to surrender to the night hag's power, causing the night hag to start feeding from him. While the night hag is feeding and thus vulnerable, Sam stabs her with a makeshift iron spear, killing the night hag and ending her nightmare manifestations.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Life Force Draining - By draining the life force of their victims, the night hag are able to grow stronger and stronger. As a result, their manifestations begin to gain more permanence and according to Bobby Singer, if they aren't stopped, they will gain a life of their own. The night hag's victims, after only one or two feedings, became more exhausted and gain an aged appearance. One victim aged twenty-five years after two feeding and afourteen-year old victim gained two grey streaks in his hair. Once the night hag was powerful enough, she would not eve require direct contact to feed off of her victims' life force.
- Empathy - Night hags can detect those who had the greatest fears and despair to feed off of.
- Mental Manipulation - The night hag would give her victims' psychic nudges into sleep. As she grew stronger, the night hag could keep them from waking up. While feeding off of Sam Winchester, a night hag was able to share images with him of Dean's fight with her Soulless Sam manifestation. Another effect of a night hag's power is that someone in her sphere of influence could experience a "waking nightmare" where, while awake, they saw their worst nightmare come to life.
- Electromagnetic Interference - Whenever the night hag feeds, it resulted in all electronic devices in the vicinity shutting down until the feeding was over. By the end of the night hag's rampage, their feeding results in the power outages having a greater area of effect.
- Reality Warping - Night hags possess the ability to warp reality and make their victims' worst nightmares come to life. As a night hag grows stronger, anyone within their sphere of influence have their nightmares come to life without the night hag needing to directly act on that person. According to Bobby Singer, these manifestations will eventually become real if the night hag isn't stopped. As the night hag grows stronger, their manifestations gain more permanence. The manifestations created from direct feeding usually didn't vanish when destroyed while ones created from indirect influence would vanish. Any time one of her manifestations appeared, a white mist would surround the spot they appeared in.
- Conjuration - Night hags possessed the ability to conjure up manifestations of people's worst nightmares. As a night hag grows stronger, these manifestations gain a greater permanence, lasting longer and regenerating if they come from the person the night hag feeds directly off of.
- Animation - When feeding off of Daniel Barnes, a night hag was able to make the tree outside his window come to life, kill Daniel's father and then collapse in the middle of the road after apparently trying to get away.
- Weather Manipulation - Acting on Roman Messerly's natural disaster nightmares, a night hag caused powerful thunderstorms to hit Clayton Falls. On the final night of her rampage, the night hag was strong enough to create a tornado to attack Clayton Falls with.
- Terrakinesis - While acting on Ehrich Vogel's nightmares of being trapped underground, a night hag was able to create massive sinkholes that consumed parking lots and houses. Due to Alden Webb's fears of a jailbreak, the night hag made the walls of the Falls Federal Supermax wing crack and crumble to release the prisoners.
- Electrokinesis - When releasing the prisoners at Falls Federal Prison, a night hag caused the security cameras to short out along with the stun fences.
- Pyrokinesis - Due to several of the people under her indirect influence having nightmares about the Clayton Falls Apparel Company fire, a night hag's powers caused their homes to catch on fire.
- Invulnerability - The night hag is invulnerable except when she's feeding at which point she takes on solid form and can be killed by iron.
- Iron - As a spirit, Night Hags are vulnerable to iron. However, unless they are feeding, it only hurts them. Being stabbed with an iron weapon while corporeal will kill them.
- Feeding - Like a shtriga, a night hag can only be killed while they are feeding at which point they take on a corporeal form.
Known Night HagsEdit
- Olga's Night Hag (deceased)