|“||I know Naomi and she's complicated but there's nothing she won't do to protect the souls in her charge.||”|
Naomi is a high-tier angel charged with making rebellious angels obedient once more and extracting information from them. Following the slaughter of Raphael's followers at Castiel's hand, Naomi headed one of the many factions of angels vying for leadership of Heaven. She saved Castiel from Purgatory to brainwash him into being her unwitting agent in Season 8. Upon learning of Metatron's plan, she attempted to stop the scribe, only to supposedly be killed by him instead. Years later, Naomi surfaced again revealing that she had survived in secret and is now leading the effort to keep Heaven going.
HistoryFrom her dialogue, it appears Naomi had been an important player in Heaven for thousands of years. She mentioned wiping Castiel's memory so many times, he forgot events of his past, such as the massacre of firstborns in Egypt over three thousand years ago. It was revealed that she worked directly under the archangels, and was supposed to "debrief" Metatron, following God's departing, but he fled before she was able to. Her team alone knew of the operations that modify memories of lower-class angels.
After Castiel confronted Crowley, she whisked Castiel to Heaven. She told Castiel she was responsible for saving him from Purgatory. Naomi asked Castiel to tell her information about the Winchesters, which Castiel did casually and without hesitation, much to his own surprise. Naomi then urged Castiel to help the Winchesters recover the tablet. Before she sent Castiel back to Earth, Naomi made it clear she wanted Castiel to report to her every now and then. She also promised that no one would even know when and if he reports to her. Castiel disagreed, but Naomi disregarded his resistance and merely smiled. True to her word, when she sent him back, he was unable to remember that he had spoken to her.
Near the summation of the episode, she yanks Castiel to Heaven, and has a brief word with him. She tells him she does not want him in Heaven unless she permits it, prompting Castiel to question what he should do, after which she returns the question to him.
When Samandriel inadvertently revealed the existence of a tablet pertaining to angels, she orders Castiel to assassinate the captured angel. Naomi was convinced it had to be done to protect the angels and Heaven. She also wanted Castiel to bring Samandriel's remains to Heaven so she could examine how much information Crowley had extracted from Samandriel.
Naomi worked to indoctrinate Castiel to her control completely by having him kill hundreds of copies of Dean. After ruthlessly and successfully passing her test, Castiel went after the angel tablet. Naomi had Castiel lie that he was searching for the second half of the demon tablet when the Winchesters caught up to him during his mission. Castiel also killed a demon before the demon could tell them the truth. Naomi allowed Castiel to keep Meg alive as the demon knew the location of the angel tablet, but ordered the Seraph to kill Dean after they locate the tablet. She explained to the powerless Castiel that he was "broken" and she "fixed" him when he is unable to stop himself from attacking Dean and tells him to choose between Heaven and the Winchesters. Castiel manages to stop himself from killing Dean and when he picks up the angel tablet, it breaks her connection and control over him. After Castiel leaves to protect the tablet from everyone including himself and Dean, Naomi visited the crypt where it had been located and meets up with Crowley who shows familiarity with her and indicated a possible sexual relationship between them in the past. Though she was not happy to see him, Naomi admitted that Castiel is doing what he was meant to do: protect the tablet even though it apparently meant protecting it from her as well. Crowley began to offer a deal, but an uninterested Naomi left even before the demon could lay out the terms. Naomi is later seen receiving a report that the angels had had no luck finding Castiel.
Naomi approached Dean to try to convince him that she is on his side. Naomi claimed that she periodically met with Castiel, but was not intentionally spying on the Winchesters and that Castiel misinterpreted her orders when he tried to kill Dean. Dean did not trust her, but Naomi informed him that Sam traveled to Hell through Purgatory before disappearing. Later, when Sam tries to release Bobby Singer's soul into Heaven and Crowley stops it, Naomi intervened. Though Crowley warns her the Winchesters will likely lock up Heaven too, Naomi simply told him she hopes he gets locked up and that she will figure out the rest. The annoyed demon labelled her a 'bureaucrat', prompting Naomi to smite him out of spite. Crowley fled and Naomi released Bobby, allowing him to go to Heaven where he belonged. Naomi reaffirmed to Sam and Dean that she wants what they do, Hell closed and then disappeared.
Naomi received word from Ion that they are unable to track Castiel through Biggerson's, so she had him slaughter all the people in one of the locations to draw Castiel out. Once he was captured, she ruthlessly killed Kara and interrogated Castiel for the location of the angel tablet, in turn revealing that he took part in the slaughter of firstborns in Egypt by angels and that she erased his memory of it. She revealed has erased his and other angels memories many times, but Castiel was different, as he never truly followed orders as he was supposed to. Crowley arrived and wounds Ion with a bullet made from an Angel Blade and kills the other angel with her. Crowley and Naomi had a stand-off, in which the angel fled after being shot at by the demon.
Metatron revealed that despite what Naomi claimed, she was not the sole ruler of Heaven, and that she was simply the leader of one of many factions of angels at civil war.Naomi learns that Castiel has teamed up with Metatron. She thus comes to the bar where the two are talking and takes Metatron away. Back in her office in Heaven, Naomi argues with Metatron just before she starts extracting information from him. She then discovers Metatron's true intentions. She rushes to Castiel and informs him of the truth, that Metatron is trying to expel all the angels from Heaven because he wants revenge. She comes to the realization that she was wrong, telling Castiel and Dean that angels were meant to protect God's creation and somewhere they lost sight of their purpose. She warns Dean that if Sam completes the trials, he will die and before leaving, she promises Castiel that if he truly wishes to return to Heaven, she will hear him out. Naomi goes back to Heaven where Metatron kills her by stabbing her in the head with her memory drill. Metatron later confirms to Castiel that she was telling the truth.
Dean (unaware of Naomi's death) was quick to label her and Metatron as the people to blame for Sam's condition and the Angel's falling.
With Naomi's death an angel named Bartholomew, said to be the protégé of Naomi, took charge of the scattered Angels. When Sam and Dean were interrogating the rogue reaper Maurice, the reaper finally revealed to them that Naomi was dead and Bartholomew had taken charge.
When trying to hack Castiel's mind in a similar manner to what Crowley did to Samandriel and Gadreel, Jonah states that he learned how by watching Naomi do it once. However, Efram grows impatient and tries to take over himself. The argument that follows allows Castiel to break free.
Taking a surprised Castiel to her old office, Naomi reveals that the drill couldn't kill her. Castiel admits that he was relieved when he'd believed Naomi to be dead, causing Naomi to comment that they never did see eye to eye. Castiel angrily confronts Naomi over her actions on him such as stealing his memories, threatening to tear him apart, making him repeatedly act out Dean's murder and killing many, many people in front of him. Naomi simply states that "those were simpler times" and explains that after Metatron attacked her, she had a few reliable angels spread the word that she was dead. During the years since, she was recovering from the attack and "taking a few years to put my thoughts back in my skull." Naomi admits that there are still a few holes in her mind, but she's "mostly here" because she has to be.
As Heaven's power flickers, Naomi asks Castiel if he knows what powers Heaven. After he tells her that its angels, Naomi confirms this by explaining that every angel is like "a walking, talking battery." Gesturing to the power flickers, Naomi explains that its what happens when they run out of power. Naomi tells Castiel that there are a grand total of nine angels in Heaven, including the two of them and one or two on Earth "and that's all. We are the last men and women and divine waves of light standing, as it were." Castiel is horrified by the news, having known that their numbers were small, but not that small.
Naomi tells Castiel that they can't help him because no angel can leave Heaven, they are the only thing still keeping the lights on "barely." They need more, especially an archangel. Naomi states that the others thought that any archangel would do and dismisses it as "a long story," but Castiel's news about Gabriel is blessed as with his power, the angels can keep Heaven running. Without Gabriel, the angels will burn out in time, Heaven will crumble and all of the souls in Heaven will fall back to Earth. This would mean billions upon billions of ghosts unleashed upon the world with massive chaos and death.
When Castiel returns to Earth, Naomi accompanies him through the Heavenly Portal. Naomi asks that if Castiel finds Gabriel to let him know about what is happening in Heaven. Naomi promises that if Castiel can't, the angels will do their duty and keep things running for as long as they can. Though Castiel promises that they will find a way to fix the problem, Naomi appears resigned to their fate, suggesting that what is happening is one of the things that simply can't be fixed and "everything ends." Naomi tells Castiel that until the situation is resolved, the Gates of Heaven are closed. After sharing a nod with her brother, Naomi departs through the portal which seals behind her.
In Beat the Devil, Castiel tells Gabriel of how only Naomi and a few angels are running Heaven, which is bad condition. Gabriel was surprised to hear this and didn't know if he was fit to return to Heaven since he abandoned it centuries ago.
In Byzantium, Naomi appears to greet Castiel and Duma inside of Jack's Heaven and reveals that The Shadow has come in search of the Nephilim, seeing the him as its property and wanting to bring him to The Empty. Naomi doesn't see another way besides to give the Shadow what it wants as Heaven will fall otherwise and all of the souls will be freed upon the Earth. Naomi insists that its the only choice and begs Castiel for his help. Castiel refuses and suddenly Naomi begins to be consumed by the Entity. Naomi yells at Castiel to run as it consumes her.
When Castiel emerges from Kelly Kline's Heaven, he is greeted by Naomi, now returned to normal. Naomi thanks Castiel for what he did, though she acknowledges that he didn't do it for the angels. As a reward, Naomi offers Castiel the location of Michael, telling him that the angels think they know where Michael is.
In The Spear, Castiel tells Jack that though Naomi is complicated, he knows that she will do everything in her power to protect the souls in her charge. Later, its revealed that the Winchesters used Naomi's information by sending former hunter Garth Fitzgerald IV, now a werewolf, to act as a spy for them amongst Michael's army.
In Absence, when Castiel travels to the Heavenly Portal to find Mary Winchester's soul, he tries to call Naomi over angel radio but gets no answer. When Castiel continues to call out, Duma appears and tells him that Naomi's location is none of his business. However, Duma allows Castiel into Heaven briefly to see that Mary is at peace.
In Jack in the Box, its revealed that following the Invasion of Heaven, Duma overthrew Naomi and became the Ruler of Heaven herself, using the fact that Heaven was invaded under Naomi's watch and the angels nearly died under her watch. Naomi is now in a very small cell which Duma is surprised that Castiel is not pleased with as he and Naomi weren't fond of each other.
Duma established a reign of terror in which humans were beat into submission, Heaven was stripped of its mercy and Jack was manipulated to solidify her own power unlike Naomi who was focused on keeping Heaven running for as long as possible. Duma's reign of terror was ended when she was killed by Castiel for threatening the souls of John and Mary Winchester.
|“||Our mission was to protect what God created... I don't know when we forgot that.||”|
— Naomi to Dean and Castiel
She valued order and discipline, and worked hard to preserve these qualities. She held angels somewhat highly, and worked for their benefits, but that would not stop her killing them if she felt there was the need. When it came to humans, Naomi was less caring and was willing to savagely murder and torture dozens of them simply to further her goals. However, she was also willing to be civil with them, especially if it benefited her. Like many angels, she hated demons and looked down upon them, although Crowley seemed to imply they had a relationship some thousand years ago in Mesopotamia. Despite this, Naomi still would not strike a deal with the demon, attesting to her strict and businesslike nature. She longed for the gates of Hell to be closed, to the point where she helped the Winchesters to finish the second trial and insisted they could trust her because of that. However, after her change of heart, she revealed that closing the gates would kill Sam, even though she knew it would cause Dean to stop the trials, indicating that with her change of heart she became more compassionate and she developed the desire to prevent others from being sacrificed when there was another way.
Naomi was highly deceptive, and commonly kept others in the dark, often lying to and manipulating them. This deception would, in the end, prove to backfire on her, because Castiel would not believe her when she told him the truth about Metatron and his plans, leading to the Scribe succeeding in getting his revenge.
At the apparent end of her life, Naomi showed remorse for her actions and actually cried, something no other angel has ever been shown to do. She also displayed anger, resentment and pride at times, showing that despite her disdain for humans, she possessed human emotions, something few angels ever display. One issue she was particularly touchy about was being dismissed as simply a "bureaucrat" and she made it clear she saw herself much like most other angels as a warrior.
Following Naomi's return, her personality appears to be greatly changed. Calling the past simpler times, Naomi shows a more defeated and resigned side of herself. She is also clearly horrified by the thought of the chaos all of the souls of Heaven being released upon the Earth would cause. Though she seeks hope in the form of Castiel finding Gabriel, Naomi appears to be resigned to the fact that there is no way of fixing Heaven and that Heaven and the angels will end though she seems to fear exactly how long they have before that happens. Despite their past differences and the angels' general hatred for him, Naomi shows a willingness to put her differences with Castiel aside and work together for the greater good. This was seen when she thanked him for saving Heaven from The Shadow and gave him Michael's location for Team Free Will to defeat him. In return, Castiel seems to accept her behavior as sincere and to put their past behind them as well.
Naomi's vessel was depicted as a woman in a business suit with a dark grey jacket. In this form, Naomi had long dark brown hair she kept back in a ponytail.
After the revelation of her survival, Naomi's attire had changed to a white suit with a light gray jacket. Her hair was short and platinum blonde instead of long and dark brown.
Powers and Abilities
While her exact rank in the Heavenly Host is unknown, Naomi was an undeniably powerful angel with a high degree of authority over Heaven and its denizens. She was capable of easily smiting Crowley like Seraph Castiel, thus she was one of the strongest angels in the series. She possessed all of the basic powers and weaknesses of an angel.
- Compulsion - Naomi could compel other angels to follow her command. During their conversations, Castiel replied immediately and in full to any question she put to him. She later forced Castiel to murder Samandriel, an order he was unable to refuse. She lost this control over him however after their connection was severed by the angel tablet.
- Immortality - As an angel, Naomi had the potential to live forever, even while in a vessel. She had been alive since at least Moses was in Egypt, making her well over 3,000 years old.
- Invulnerability - As an angel, Naomi could not be killed by conventional methods, but she was still vulnerable to angel blades.
- Memory Manipulation - When Castiel was returned to Earth, he was unable to remember speaking with her. It was later revealed that Naomi had erased Castiel's memory multiple times over the several millennia due to the Seraph's constant refusal to follow through with his given commands.
- Apporting - Naomi was able to transport Castiel from Earth to Heaven and then teleport him back to the exact place and time without the Winchesters noticing. She could also prevent Castiel from re-entering Heaven again without her consent. She had also shown the ability to converse with Castiel in Heaven while Castiel himself was also present on Earth. She lost this control over him however after their connection was severed.
- Super Strength - As a high ranking angel, Naomi was much stronger than humans, spirits, monsters, demons, and most angels. She could easily lift Castiel, a Seraph, off his feet and was able to restrain the Angel Scribe of God Metatron with one hand as an angel blade was in her other hand.
- Conjuration - Naomi was able to create hundreds of Dean Winchester clones for her efforts to brainwash Castiel completely to her side. She also conjured exact copies of the real Dean's gun for at least one of the clones.
- Angelic Possession - As an angel, Naomi was able to possess a human to walk on Earth. She of course needs the vessel's consent.
- Teleportation - Being an angel, Naomi was able to instantly teleport from one place to another.
- Holy Photokinesis - Similar to the archangels and Seraphs, Naomi was able to emit a blast of light from the palm of her hand. During a confrontation with Crowley, Naomi tried to blast him with the light, but he fled before she could.
- Spell Negation - Naomi was able to neutralize Crowley's spell to capture Bobby's soul with a simple hand movement.
- Telekinesis - Naomi could move objects with her mind. With a simple finger movement, she snapped a waitress's neck and pulled a chair to her by snapping her fingers.
- Regeneration - Naomi was able to heal from the damage that her own drill caused her. However, it took her several years to pull her mind back together and after nearly five years, she was still only "mostly here."
- Naomi's drill - She was apparently killed by this device in Heaven. While she survived, the damage it caused required years to pull her thoughts together enough to be "mostly here."
- Angel-killing bullets - Naomi fled when confronted by Crowley with a gun loaded with angel blade bullets.
- The Shadow - The Shadow was able to possess Naomi against her will and when it attacked Heaven in search for Jack's soul, it was able to effortlessly defeat Naomi and the other remaining angels.
- Primordial Entities - God, Death, Archangels, and the Darkness can kill Naomi effortlessly.
- Insufficient number of angels in Heaven - Like all angels, Naomi is bound to Heaven and serves as a power source for Heaven while in it. With only less than a dozen angels in Heaven, Naomi and the other angels will eventually burn out in an attempt to keep Heaven running.
- Season 8
- Season 9
- Season 10
- Black (mentioned only)
- Season 11
- Form and Void (mentioned only)
- Season 13
- Season 14
- Naomi's role appeared to be very similar to Castiel's role in Season 4 in that she saved Castiel from Purgatory, just as Castiel saved Dean from Hell.
- Naomi is the secondary antagonist of Season 8 though she redeems herself in the end.
- Naomi is one of the few villains on the series to change sides and show remorse for what they have done. In her case, only Dean believed her but Castiel had been manipulated too much to. Her change of heart and warning proved to be genuine as well and not faked. Castiel, after his stint as God also displayed remorse as did Crowley when being turned human.
- The times she met Dean, she insisted he could trust her as they wanted the same thing. Despite her trying to manipulate him at first by trying to get his help with finding Castiel, she did, in fact, prove to be trustworthy towards him, warning him about how Sam got to Hell, helping save Bobby and warning him of what would happen to Sam if he succeeded in finishing the Hell trials.
- It is implied that Naomi and Crowley had a sexual relationship in Mesopotamia.
- Before Season 8 began, Naomi was described in press releases as being part of a group of angels never seen before. Ion indicated that this group was an intelligence division of Heaven when talking to Castiel. Naomi also indicated this when she mentioned how she had to "debrief" Metatron after God left.
- The name "Naomi" translates into "pleasant" or "my sweet" in Hebrew and "beautiful honesty" in Japanese; this is ironic considering the character's role as a major antagonist who frequently deceives others.