The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|“||The human soul, it can only occupy a body while it retains a certain ... structural integrity and this vessel it was ... It was ripped apart on a subatomic level by an archangel.||”|
Molecular Combustion is the ability to rip a being apart at the subatomic level. Only high-level beings have used this power.
- Castiel (formerly) - When powered by the souls of Purgatory, Castiel was able to use this power to kill Raphael.
- Primordial Entities
- While using this power usually leaves behind a bloody mess, when Lucifer killed Jofiel in Heaven, he seemed to explode into dust and smoke, as well as the two demons Lucifer had killed in Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell. In addition, Amara also disintegrated an angel with use of molecular combustion. However, when an angel is destroyed in this manner, the cloud of dust and smoke they are reduced briefly emanates a bluish white light, while demons emanate an orange light, similar to how they generate a flashing light upon being smote. As two priests killed with this power by Lucifer also turned to dust, this is probably at least partially down to a change in special effects.
- Two of the times Castiel has been resurrected have been after he was killed with this power and they were two of the three times he was resurrected by God. God stated that he had to rebuild Castiel when talking about these resurrections with Metatron.
- The effects of the witch-killing spell are similar to molecular combustion, particularly the Sumerian variant Rowena used. The one taken from Bobby Singer also has similar effects but with the being disintegrating rather than exploding.
- One of the powers of the Lance of Michael is to cause any affected demon to explode into dust, similar to molecular combustion.
- In earlier seasons when this power was used to kill angels, they exploded into a shower of blood and gore as seen with Castiel and Raphael's deaths from the power. Starting in Season 11, angels merely explode into a cloud of dust and smoke as seen when the Darkness, Lucifer and Dagon use the power to kill them.
- When using this power, a glowing red circle appears in the center of Dagon's palm, similar to the glow of the Demon-Killing Knife, and she slams it against her target, causing them to explode into a cloud of dust and smoke. This makes her the only being to use this power that used physical contact with their victim.
- The blast fired by Crowley from the Rod of Aaron caused Simmons to explode in a similar manner to molecular combustion.
- Lucifer has killed the most beings with this power. It appears to be his favored method of killing, at least since his release from his Cage in Season 11.
- Castiel has been killed twice by this power by Raphael and Lucifer respectively and returned the favor by using it to kill Raphael when empowered by the souls of Purgatory.
- When Crowley killed Rowena's cheating fiancé with this power after he was cheating on and using her, Rowena said it was the sweetest thing he ever did for her.
- When Asmodeus kills someone with this power in War of the Worlds, Lucifer visibly flinches at the action.
- This is presumably one of the powers Asmodeus got from injecting himself with Gabriel's grace.
- Whenever someone kills another being with this ability they usually snap their fingers.
- Out of all the characters, Jack and Lucifer have killed the most regular angels with this ability.
- Jack has killed ten angels with this power: one of Kaia's Abductors, the Shipyard Attackers, the alternate Zachariah and three of his henchmen while Lucifer has killed Castiel, Nithael, Jofiel, the Angel Commander and his four henchmen, and the Road Attackers.
- The other characters who have killed angels with this power are Dagon, who has killed five angels, Kaia Nieves, who has killed six angels in conjunction with Jack, and Raphael, who has killed Castiel (who was later brought back by God).
- Jack and Kaia are the only characters so far to have used this ability on a group of characters in conjunction with each other.
- In Gods and Monsters, Lucifer's former vessel Nick snapped his fingers at Castiel like Lucifer did when he would use this power but couldn't seem to remember doing it.
- In Heaven and Hell, when Anna reconsumes her grace, her vessel explodes in light and her wings appear in the form of grace.
- Season 5
- Season 6
- Season 8
- Season 10
- Season 11
- Season 12
- Season 13
- The Rising Son (Lucifer to kill several angels in an alternate universe)
- War of the Worlds (Asmodeus to kill a man in a bar)
- The Bad Place (Jack and Kaia Nieves to kill six nearby angels)
- Good Intentions (Jack to kill Zachariah and three of his henchmen)
- Bring 'em Back Alive (Lucifer on Father Davis and a priest)
- Exodus (Lucifer on a group of angels)
- Season 14
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.