|“||You don't have to like it, you just have to do it. You save my family, you hear me, Dean Winchester?||”|
Missouri first met John Winchester on December 17, 1983, when he came to her for a reading. She said it was 'a few days after' Mary was murdered. Missouri said she was the one who opened his eyes to 'what was in the dark.' John took Missouri to his house, hoping she could tell him what killed Mary. Unfortunately, Missouri could not tell what it was, just that it was "real evil."
In Home, the brothers return to Lawrence following a premonition that Sam has about their old home being haunted again. They search the phone directory for psychics, and Dean stumbles upon her and quickly remembers that his father had mentioned Missouri in his journal. Up until then, Dean had thought that John had meant the state Missouri.
Missouri recognizes Sam and Dean immediately, and surprises the brothers by saying she's sorry about Jessica's death and their father's disappearance. Missouri goes back to Sam and Dean's old house and identifies the spirit as a poltergeist. With the help of Missouri, Sam and Dean try to perform a ritual to banish the poltergeist which has taken up residence in the Winchesters' old home. However, it is Mary's spirit that eventually succeeds in defeating the poltergeist. After the poltergeist is gone, Missouri tells the boys "Don't be strangers!"
Near the end of the episode, it is revealed that John has been at Missouri's house the whole time his boys were in Kansas, but has reluctantly kept himself hidden. Missouri finds it strange that Sam could have premonitions of his old home but could not sense his father in the next room. Missouri tells John to go see his children, but John mysteriously says that he can't, 'not until I know the truth.'
In Patience, Missouri's friend and protégé Dede was killed by a Wraith targeting psychics. Missouri calls Sam who sends Jody Mills to help Missouri. After finding out about the case, Dean comes to help as well. Missouri uses her psychic gifts to determine what happened to Dede but receives a premonition of the Wraith attacking James and Patience. Missouri attempted to warn James, but he hung up on her. Missouri then sent Dean and Jody to save Patience from the Wraith.
After the two leave, Missouri remains behind in Dede's shop when the Wraith arrives. Missouri knows that the Wraith is there to kill her and has predicted what each path she takes will lead to. Displaying no fear, Missouri allows the Wraith to kill her, stating that this path will ensure the Wraith's death.
While sleeping that night, Patience has a nightmarish premonition of the Wraith attacking her. In the premonition, a dead Missouri calls out to Patience. Jody and Dean later tell Patience about Missouri's death and Patience learns that Missouri had always believed her to be psychic as well and that her father lied to her about Missouri since Missouri predicted that his wife would be alright when she became terminally ill but was wrong. Patience remembers seeing Missouri for the last time at her mother's funeral and how Missouri had promised to always be there for her.
After Patience is kidnapped by the Wraith, James uses the divination skills taught to him by Missouri to locate his daughter. Proving that she has indeed inherited her grandmother's psychic gifts, Patience is able to help James, Jody and Dean avoid death, allowing Dean to kill the Wraith and avenge Missouri.
In The Bad Place, James admits that he was wrong to lie about Missouri, but reminds Patience of what happened to her.
In Inherit the Earth, Missouri appears in the flashback sequence.
Powers and Abilities
Missouri Moseley was a very gifted psychic with helpful and powerful psychic abilities.
- Telepathy - Missouri had the ability to read and communicate with others through the thoughts of beings.
- Clairsentience - She also had the ability to perceive the residual information of an object by touching it. This ability allowed her to get flashes of what occurred surrounding the object.
- Precognition - After touching a spot of Dede's blood, Missouri got a vision of the Wraith that killed Dede attacking her son James. She also had visions of the Wraith's attack on her and what would happen depending on the path she took.
- Spell Casting:
- House Purification Ritual: Moseley knew how to manufacture little bags, very similar to hex bags, capable of cleansing a house from the influence of bad spirits.
- Tracking spell: Her son says he learned a tracking spell with her. To be performed, the spell takes special gems, a map, and a photo of the person being sought.
- Season 1
- Season 7
- The Mentalists (mentioned only)
- Season 13
- Season 15
- Inherit the Earth (flashback only)
- Eric Kripke revealed at Paley Fest that Missouri was intended to return in the Season 1 finale to help Sam and Dean, but because Loretta Devine wasn't available, the character of Bobby Singer was created instead.
- Missouri has an expanded role in Supernatural: The Animation, appearing not only in Home but also in the two-parter All Hell Breaks Loose (where she fills the role of Ellen in the live action series.) She also appears in the comic books Supernatural: Origins and Supernatural: Rising Son.
- Missouri is mentioned in the very first sentence of John Winchester's Journal.
- Prior to her death in Season 13, Missouri had been one of few Sam and Dean's allies still alive from pre-Season 4 who had never died. This leaves Jerry Panowski, Cassie Robinson, Kathleen Hudak, Diana Ballard, Deacon, Mara Daniels, Tamara, Lisa Braeden, Ben Braeden, and the Ghostfacers as the only ones left.
- She has the second highest number of seasons between her first appearance (Season 1) and her final death (Season 13) of any character, though only appearing in one episode of each. As of Season 15, Jenny set a new record by appearing only in the first and final seasons.