|“||Yeah. Who'd suspect her? Sweet little girl. So then she kills Isaiah and his family, the old man takes the blame. His spirit's been trying to warn people ever since.||”|
Melanie Merchant was adopted by Isaiah Merchant's family after her biological family was found murdered in their beds, with the sheets soaked in blood. Little did anybody know that it was actually Melanie who had killed her family. Eventually, Melanie killed Isaiah and his family too and then killed herself. Everyone assumed Isaiah had been responsible for the murders.
Melanie's body was cremated but she was resurrected as a ghost to haunt the old Merchant family painting, killing anyone who had a connection with the painting. The ghost of Isaiah tried to warn people by changing and shifting elements in the painting. Melanie was finally vanquished when Dean Winchester burned a strand of hair from a doll of Melanie's likeness from the family Mausoleum. Sarah later ordered the painting burned just to be sure which was now possible that Melanie was gone.
When asked why Melanie committed the crimes she did, Sam remarks that some people are just "born tortured".
Powers and Abilities
Melanie was a somewhat powerful ghost.
- Telekinesis - She had the ability to move objects with her mind.
- Super Speed - Melanie could move extremely fast.
- Teleportation - She could teleport the painting she possessed back to its frame if it was taken from it.
- Material Possession - She was able to possess the painting of her family. She could also take the razor from the painting as a weapon.
- Regeneration - As long as her ghost existed, the painting she possessed couldn't be destroyed and would reform if destroyed.