Mary Worthington, also known as Bloody Mary, was a vengeful spirit.
Bloody Mary, while still human, was known as Mary Worthington. She lived alone in Fort Wayne, Indiana. She was a beautiful 19-year-old girl who had participated and won several beauty contests in her hometown and aspired to be an actress.
However, on a March 29th, someone broke into her apartment and murdered her, cutting her eyes out with a knife. In her final moments, she tried to write the name of her assailant but in vain. She only got around to write "T-R-E" which local authorities suspected was Trevor Sampson, a surgeon. He was, however, never apprehended.
After her death, her spirit lingered on and lived in the mirror in front of which she had died. She went along with the mirror everywhere and while haunting it, killed all those who kept gruesome secrets of unsolved deaths by gouging out their eyes when someone utters "Bloody Mary" three times in front of any mirror.
All those suffer the wrath of Bloody Mary have their eyes taken. The victim's eyes first start to bleed and soon liquify, causing internal bleeding inside the victims head until they die. However, it only happens if the victim is in front of a mirror.
A surgeon called Trevor Sampson was suspected but nothing was ever proven and her murder went unsolved. In revenge, Mary haunts the old mirror, killing people hiding secrets about unsolved deaths.
In the episode Bloody Mary, Sam and Dean Winchester encounter her when she killed Steven Shoemaker and proceeded to kill others. Even though the brothers broke her mirror, she persisted. The brothers then proceeded to show her her own reflection and due to the number of murders she had committed, she was constrained to self-destroy.
Mary Worthington attacks a young girl named Rachel, as she and her friend are trying on make-up, causing Rachel to bleed from her eyes and begin clawing at her face. When Rachel's friend tries to run for help, she is met by Mary standing in front of her bedroom door. When Castiel enters the home to evacuate the residents, he finds Rachel and her friend dead in the room, in a pool of blood. As he leaves the home, Mary appears in a mirror watching him exit.
As Sam and Castiel are leading a mother and daughter to safety, the daughter becomes distracted by a pond, and as John Wayne Gacy and two other ghosts start attacking Sam and Castiel, Bloody Mary appears in the pond's reflection and jumps out to attack the mother and daughter, grabbing the mother's leg. As they break free of Mary's grasp, Mary pulls herself out of the pond, only for Sam to shoot her with rock salt. She soon joins with the other spirits and gives chase to the four, but is stopped when Sam and Castiel get the mother and daughter across the barrier Belphegor created to keep the ghosts inside Harlan, Kansas.
In The Rupture, when Rowena tries to perform the Rafforza l'incantesimo, she has a flashback to Mary's attack in the street along with the actions of several other ghosts and announces that she can't strengthen the barrier as it is too weak and the ghosts are too strong.
Powers and Abilities
Like many other vengeful spirits she was quite powerful. She also possessed some unique abilities that other vengeful spirits don't commonly have.
- Biokinesis - Mirroring the way she herself was killed, her victims eyes would bleed and eventually liquify, causing an accumulate blood within the brain that would kill them. This could be used upon her by showing her her own reflection while she was using the power on a victim. However, instead of just bleeding from her eyes, her entire body would turn into blood.
- Possession - She possessed reflective surfaces, and also could possess people reflections, causing them to move on their own and accuse her victims of their guilt as they died.
- Teleportation - She could appear in any reflective surface near the mirror where she died and wherever anyone summoned her.
- Advanced Super Speed - Out of the mirror, she could move remarkbly fast.
- Mind Reading - Due to being in a mirror, which as the lore said could reveal the secrets of a person, she knew if a person was or at least thought they were responsible for a death.
- Salt - As a ghost, she could not pass through salt lines.
- Lack of Reflections - As she appeared through mirrors, covering any reflective surfaces would keep her from affecting her victims.
- Mirrors - She was not immune to her own power when outside of mirrors. Seeing her own reflection caused it to come to life and confront her about her own killings as a ghost, resulting in her melting into a puddle of blood, permanently dispersing her.
- Season 1
- Season 5
- The Real Ghostbusters (impersonation and mentioned)
- Season 14
- Season 15
- Supernatural: The Men of Letters Bestiary: Winchester Family Edition (non-canon, mentioned only)
Mary Worthington is based on Bloody Mary, an urban legend that says that anyone who chants the words Bloody Mary three times in front of a mirror will summon a vengeful spirit. This spirit has been reported to do a variety of things to the person who summons her, including killing the person, scratching their eyes out, driving them mad or pulling them into the mirror with the spirit – generally referred to as the spirit of a woman or even a witch. This is an old legend, but in 1978 a folklorist named Janet Langlois published an essay on Bloody Mary, which led to the tale becoming a popular slumber party ritual done by girls as well as boys. No one knows the origins of the Bloody Mary legend; over the years, she has been rumored to be anything from a witch that was killed for practicing witchcraft to a modern-day woman killed in a car crash, depending on what part of the country you live in.