Lily Sunder was a professor of apocalyptic literature who fell in love with an angel only to have him and her daughter murdered. After getting her revenge, Lily gave up her magic and sought to ensure her entry into Heaven to be reunited with her daughter.
History[edit | edit source]
Background[edit | edit source]
In the late 19th to early 20th century, Lily was a professor of apocalyptic lore with a daughter named May and studied into angels seriously, eventually becoming fluent in Enochian. Lily's studies led her to a spell that enabled her to summon an angel and when she cast it, Ishim appeared. Ishim quickly grew obsessed with Lily, believing he was in love with her. As a result, Ishim revealed all of the secrets of angels with Lily. However, Lily came to regard that Ishim was a monster obsessed with her.
Following her realization, Lily stopped contact with Ishim and eventually married the angel Akobel so that he could protected her from Ishim as well as taking care of her daughter. Upon learning of Akobel's relationship with Lily, an enraged and jealous Ishim set out for revenge against Lily and her family. In order to do this, Ishim gathered his flight, including Benjamin, Mirabel, Castiel and two unnamed angels, and claimed to them that May was a Nephilim, and she and Akobel needed to be killed. When the angels arrived, Akobel orders Lily to take May and run away from the area while he distracted them, knowing the reason behind Ishim's arrival . As Lily desperately gathered her things, Akobel was killed by Mirabel, and Ishim entered the house to confront her. After pinning a powerless Lily with telekinesis, Ishim accused her of leaving him for Akobel and murders May in revenge. Ishim then leaves Lily to mourn Akobel and May's deaths.
Over the next century, Lily began using her study of Enochian magic to give her immortality and the powers she would need to get revenge on Ishim and his flight. Using Enochian magic in such a way burned away a piece of Lily's soul each time, eventually resulting in her losing the ability to dream. Despite this, Lily pressed on, consumed by her revenge.
Following the fall of the angels, Lily finally saw her chance for revenge and took it. Lily was able to kill two unnamed angels of Ishim's flight with her new abilities and gain their angel blades for her own use.
Lily eventually tracks down the angel Benjamin at the arcade where he was playing games. Lily battles Benjamin who proves to be no match for her, and effortlessly pinned the angel up against a wall. After Benjamin begs for help using distress signal, Lily stabbed him in the abdomen with an angel blade before left the angel's lifeless vessel to be found by the bartender.
After killing Benjamin in the arcade, Lily travel back to her hotel room and spend times mediating on her own . At some points after the Winchester boys and Castiel arrived at the arcade where Lily and Benjamin fighting earlier, Lily bolts up from her bed where she presumably have been mediating for possible assailant and murmurs "Castiel." After pressed a kiss to an old-time photo of her daughter, Lily goes after the three surviving angels of Ishim's flight who took part in the murders of her loved ones, the flight commander Ishim and two angel soldiers Mirabel and Castiel as they meet in a diner to discuss the situation . As Mirabel checks the alley behind the diner, Lily ambushes Mirabel and quickly killed her with an angel blade. Ishim eventually comes out from the diner looking for Mirabel , and was shocked to find Lily who scores a deep wound on his side with an angel blade. Ishim retaliate by attempting to smite Lily, but those new powers Lily gained render her immune to Ishim's smiting. As Lily gains the upper hand against Ishim, Castiel intervened and slashes her with an angel blade, commenting on recognizing Lily from the murder of Akobel and May. When hunters Dean and Sam arrives, and threaten her with their guns, Lily tries to convince them to allow her to get her revenge, not wanting to hurt humans in her quest for vengeance . When they refuse to let her go, Lily lets off a massive blast of light that blinds everyone and flees in her rental car.
Returning to her hotel room, Lily heals her wound, and later departs to find Ishim and Castiel to get her revenge. Much to her surprise, she is confronted by the Winchesters who had managed to track her rental car after Sam remembered the license plate during her escape. When the Winchesters attempt to talk her down as they believe her daughter was a Nephilim, Lily tells them the truth about what happened the day Akobel and May were murdered, bursting into tears as Lily do so . Inclined to believe Lily but needing more solid proof, Dean heads off to confront Ishim while Sam stays with Lily. While they waiting, Lily explain everything from how she uses the fall of the angels as advantage in her quest of vengeance and study Enochian magic instead of making the demon pact, and Sam finally agree to help her so she is willing to be patient further. Concerned by her words, Sam agrees to take Lily to confront Ishim.
Arriving at Ishim's church safe house, the two find Castiel severely weakened and Dean cornered by the rogue angel. Armed with an angel blade, Lily engages Ishim in battle with the two hunters attempting to aid her without success. Having been fully healed by Castiel, Ishim proves to be more than a match for Lily who telekinetically flings him against a wall. However, Ishim warned Lily that she can't hold him there forever and fight through Lily's hold with little effort, slowly advancing on her. As the Winchester boys and Lily helplessly watch, Ishim eventually reaches Lily and prepares to kill her with his angel blade. To everyone's shock, at the last moment, Castiel stabbed Ishim from behind with an angel blade of his own. As Lily stares at him in shock, Castiel tells her that "you held him for long enough."
Following Ishim's death, Lily stares down at his dead vessel and the imprint of his broken wings. The Winchester boys question whether or not Lily will give up on her revenge now that Ishim is dead, but Lily isn't sure whenever she could give up or not as revenge is all she's had for over a century. Dean tried to threaten her but now knowing the truth about what happened in 1901, Castiel stops Dean from going further and apologizes to Lily for his role in the murders of Akobel and May. Castiel states his ignorance wasn't a proper excuse and went on telling Lily if she leaves and finds out she can't forgive him, that Lily can return to get her revenge on Castiel whenever she wanted. In tears, Lily thanks Castiel and leaves the area.
In Byzantium, Sam calls Lily in hopes that she can translate Kevin Tran's notes on the Angel Tablet and find something that can help them to bring back Nephilim Jack from the dead. Lily, now an old woman due to no longer using Enochian magic to keep herself young, is unable to read the notes, but suggests using her magic to save Jack. Lily proposes using a piece of Jack's own soul to sustain his body, but requests that in exchange, the Winchester boys ensure her entry into Heaven. Lily explained to the Winchester boys that she has stopped using her magic as she still has a sliver of her soul left and when she dies, she wants to be reunited with her daughter in Heaven.
As Castiel goes to Heaven to search Jack, the Winchester boys summon Anubis who agrees to judge Lily's soul. Anubis' Abacus determine that Lily will go to Hell upon death and he insists that he can do nothing to change her fate. Anubis explains that a person's own choices during their life determine their final fate and the Winchester boys are forced to let him go. Lily prepares to departed, but Dean begs her to stay and help them so that they won't have to suffer the loss of a child as she did. Lily finally agrees to stay and help them.
As Dean prays to Castiel, Lily performs the ritual to use Jack's soul. After Castiel resurrects Jack, Sam quickly provides him with the incantation Lily wrote out and Jack completes the ritual, curing his condition. Dean thanks Lily but finds out unbeknownst by anyone else, Lily suffers a fatal heart attack right after Jack's resurrection, and Lily quietly sits in a chair and passed away.
In another realm, she is greeted by Anubis in the afterlife much to Lily's confusion as why she end up here. Anubis offers Lily another chance to weigh her soul, and she does so . This time, according to Anubis's scales, Lily's soul is determined to be worthy of Heaven. Anubis implies that Lily knew that helping resurrect Jack would be fatal to her and that her selfless decision to help anyway was what tipped the scales in her favor. Anubis tells Lily to greet May for him, implying that Anubis knows Lily's daughter, and Lily smiles in peace and happiness, as she prepares to be reunited with her daughter at long last.
Power and abilities[edit | edit source]
Lily was undoubtedly a powerful angel hunter who keep honing Enochian magic for revenge, gaining powerful abilities that enable her to beat lower-rank angels . However, each time she uses one, its burned away a piece of her soul, thus taking away her ability to dream. When she stops using this magic, she lost all of the abilities that its granted to her, particularly her immortality, which eventually resulted in her death later on due to heart attack .
- Spell Casting - Lily was able to cast a summoning spell to call upon angels. Using a ritual, Lily was able to remove Jack's fatal condition and save his life at the cost of her own.
- Immortality - Using Enochian magic, Lily was able to make herself immortal. However, this effect only lasted as long as Lily was using her magic, and she began aging rapidly when she stopped.
- Telepathy - Lily was able to hijacked angel radio and listen to what the angels are saying.
- Super Strength - Lily is stronger than most humans and lower-ranking angels, as shown when she effortlessly killed two unnamed angels of Ishim's flight following the fall of the angels before gaining their angel blades for her own use. Lily was able to fight against a full-fledged angel solider Benjamin fairly evenly . During the skirmish near the diner where the three surviving members of Ishim's flight discussing situations, Lily proceed to kicked Seraph Castiel across an alleyway, but caught him by surprise when doing so.
- Immunity - Lily has displayed an immunity to angelic abilities.
- Photokinesis - Lily has displayed the ability to emitted a blinding blast of light to disorient her opponents before fleeing in her rental car.
- Healing - Lily has displayed the ability to heal herself in a similar manner to how an angel heals another being.
- Telekinesis - Lily has displayed the ability to move objects and people without physical contact. Lily was able to tossed angelic flight commander Ishim across a room, but could only hold him back a short time before he fought through it.
- Localization - Lily was able to tracks down a trained angel warrior Benjamin at the arcade where he was playing games, and then later pinpoint Seraph Castiel as she is seen bolts up from her bed where she presumably have been mediating for possible assailant and murmurs "Castiel."
- Expert Hand-to-Hand Combatant - After rigorously trained herself in Enochian magic to obtain revenge, Lily is high proficient at hand-to-hand fighting, showing by how she killed two unnamed angels of Ishim's flight as well taken their angel blades for her own use, and able to fight one-by-one combat with a skilled angel fighter Benjamin. When Ishim emerges searching for the angel Mirabel's whereabouts, Lily was able to easily scores a deep angel blade wound on angelic flight captain Ishim along with being render immunity to smiting before Seraph Castiel intervened.
- Expert Swordsman - Having spent a century training with Enochian magic, Lily became skilled in using an angel blade. Lily is capable of killing two unnamed angels of Ishim's flight while stealing their angel blades for her own use. The greatest extent of her skills are when she proceed to clashes angel blades with angelic flight leader Ishim on her own before she was overpowered.
Personality[edit | edit source]
Lily was once a intelligent and kind-hearted woman who cared for her daughter, May very deeply. Her fascination in angels eventually led her to summoned Ishim, an obsessive and wrathful angel who was obsessed with her. When Lily realizes who Ishim truly was, Lily choose to cut off contact with Ishim forever, and went on to formed a new jovial life with another angel, Akobel , who happens to be the exact opposite of Ishim . However, this peaceful life ends up fueling jealousy from Ishim, who arranged the deaths of both Akobel and May as punishment towards Lily.
From that point on, Lily herself began to change, becoming vengeful and willing to sacrifice her own existence in order to get back at Ishim's flight who took part in the murders of her loved ones. Lily's use in Enochian magic gradually burned away a piece of her soul, turning her into a dreamless and murderous individual who only saw revenge as her only goal for more than a century . After the death of Ishim, Lily admitted she wasn't sure she could give up on her revenge as it had been all she had for so long. In spite of the fact that the last angel she was after, Castiel, saved her life, she still wasn't sure if she could forgive him. After Castiel's apology and offer to allow Lily to return for her revenge against him at a later date if she wanted, which Lily appeared to finally let go of her hatred and vengeance and move on with her life, tearfully thanking Castiel.
In order to enact her revenge, Lily developed a great deal of patience until the fall of the angels potentially giving her the advantage in getting her hands on her desired targets. Despite Lily experienced the increasingly loss of emotions for over a century, Lily still remembered her daughter and Akobel fondly, and could still feel sorrow by the time she encountered Ishim again. She also showed reluctance to harm and kill innocent humans in her quest for vengeance, asking Dean and Sam to step down and later deciding to share in the true story instead of attacking them. With Ishim's death and Castiel's apologies for what he had done, Lily was left to accept that her journey was over and choose move on with the life she had.
Following her time after revenge, she gave up on using her powers and allowed herself to rapidly age as she intended to save a sliver of her soul so as to go to Heaven and see her daughter. She made amends with Castiel, despite hating him for a century and helped in trying to save Nephilim Jack. After Anubis determined Lily going to Hell no matter what happened, Lily felt empty and nearly walked on saving Jack until Dean remarked on her inhumane nature. She related to the Winchesters on losing a child and stayed to help, though it cost Lily on her life. However, she found peace when Anubis gave her another chance and she was happy at the thought of being with her daughter for eternity. Anubis implies that Lily knew she would die if she helped save Jack but did it anyway with the implication that it was this selfless act that allowed her to go to Heaven instead of Hell.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Lily is the first human to knowingly marry an angel.
- It's unknown who the biological father of Lily's daughter, May was or whenever he is alive or not.
- Lily's gradual loss of her soul (and thus, her emotions) resembles Sam during his soulless period. Sam without his soul did not require sleep, let alone dream, and he cared little for the well being of others. Lily's casual remark of Sam losing his brother to Ishim is proof that Lily was becoming more like Soulless Sam.
- Lily shares some similarities with Luther Shrike: both lost a child as a result of the actions of a supernatural being, both wanted revenge, both initially appeared to be the bad guy in their respective episodes but are revealed to ultimately be the good guy and both got their revenge through the actions of a third party. Unlike Luther, Lily lived to see her revenge exacted.
- Lily is one of the few characters to die of natural causes, suffering a fatal heart attack moments after helping to save Jack the Nephilim.
- Despite her incredible knowledge of Enochian magic, Lily appears to be unaware of other kinds of magic or at least what can be done with them. When the Winchesters reveal that they are going to summon Anubis, Lily expresses surprise that a god can be summoned.