Like A Virgin is the 12th episode of Season 6. It aired on February 4th, 2011.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
Dean and Bobby (Jim Beaver) anxiously wait for Sam to wake up to see if Death (guest star Julian Richings) was able to restore his soul without causing Sam to lose his mind. Meanwhile, Dean and Bobby investigate a disappearance of virgins and discover dragons are behind the kidnappings. Bobby sends Dean to a doctor who owns the only weapon in the world that can slay a dragon, but Dean must prove himself worthy enough to take it.
Over Oregon, a couple is in a plane caught in a storm. The girlfriend, Penny Dessertine, looks out the window and notices something outside. Penny looks at her boyfriend Stan, and tells him there's something out there. Stan doesn't believe Penny, and tells to lean back and try to relax. Penny pushes her worries down and leans back and closes her eyes. Its quiet for a few moments and then the plane is ripped open, and Stan is ripped out from the cockpit by something. As the plane goes down, Penny screams in horror.
The scene shifts to Bobby's Panic Room where Castiel emerges after checking on a comatose Sam. Castiel approaches Dean, who was waiting outside the room, and tells Dean that Sam's soul is in place. Dean takes a quick look at Sam and turns to Castiel and asks if Sam is ever going to wake up. Castiel responds by telling Dean he is not a human doctor. Dean continues on by asking if Castiel could take a guess. Castiel turns to Dean and says, "Okay, probably not." Castiel continues on by saying that he warned Dean not to put Sam's soul back in. Dean tells Castiel he wasn't about to let T-1000 (Soulless Sam) walk around and hope he doesn't fire. Castiel walks up to Dean and tells Dean what Sam's soul felt like; like it had been skinned alive. Dean is surprised to hear this, and Castiel angrily tells Dean if he wanted to kill Sam, he should have done it outright. Then Castiel leaves, leaving Dean to think over his words. While thinking, Dean looks at Sam laying prone in the panic room.
Dean heads up stairs and shares a drink with Bobby. They talk about Sam's situation downstairs, and Bobby mentions how much Sam has been through and that Sam always somehow bounces back. Dean mentions that Sam has never been through this. Then Dean notices the case file on Bobby's desk, and asks about it. Bobby mentions that a couple went up in a plane and crashed. The pilot was found 17 miles away, torn to pieces, but the girl wasn't found. As they are about to further discuss it, Dean hears his names called and turns around to see Sam. Sam, very happy to see his brother, gives Dean a big hug, and then sees Bobby and hugs him too. Then Sam asks how Bobby is alive. Sam mention how he felt and saw Lucifer snap his neck. Bobby and Dean realize that Sam probably doesn't remember anything after jumping into Lucifer's Cage. Bobby tells Sam that Castiel brought him back. Sam is surprised and glad to hear that Castiel is alive as well. Dean asks Sam how is he feeling, and Sam answers, that he is hungry.As Sam eats in Bobby's kitchen, Dean asks Sam what he remembers. Sam answers by saying that the last thing was jumping into the cage and then waking up in Bobby's panic room. Bobby is shocked to hear that Sam doesn't remember trying to kill him, and mention this but is cut off by Dean. Sam asks how long he was gone and Dean answers about a year and a half. Sam is shocked by this and comments on how he doesn't remember anything from Hell. Sam continues on and asks how he got back. Dean tells Sam he made a deal with Death and that everything is okay. Bobby comments on this is neat and clean and is once again cut off by Dean. Sam ask Dean if there is anything else that he should know. After a pause, Dean answers no and offers Sam another beer.
Later on, Dean brings Bobby a beer while he is working. Dean talks to Bobby about Sam and Bobby tells Dean how is not comfortable with this. Bobby mentions how he still has misgivings about about Sam due to how soulless Sam tried to kill him ten days ago. Dean mentions how he is not going to look down on this gift, and is practically gonna send Death a fruit basket. Bobby says they could tell Sam the truth. Dean responds by saying that they can't tell Sam the truth and risk breaking the wall that Death created to protect Sam. Bobby warns Dean that Sam will eventually find out about this, but agrees not to tell Sam. He also adds that it won't be pretty when Sam finds out and returns to fixing the car.
Bobby and Dean prepare to head out on the case, and leaving Sam behind to rest. Although Sam is not asleep and insists on coming along as well. Dean tries to talk him out of it, but Sam doesn't budge. Still uncomfortable with Sam, Bobby decides not to come and tells them to go on without him, due to some work that still needed to be done. This raises Sam's suspicions that things aren't as he is being told. When Sam asks about it, Dean responds by saying its just Bobby in a bad mood.
In the Impala heading for Portland, Oregon, Sam confirms that two other girls have vanished and no connection between them, and the plane crash victims. Sam asks Dean if he kept his promise to Sam to go live an apple pie life with Lisa and Ben. Sam also comments that Dean is actually the same as before. Dean tells Sam that he did go live with them for a year, but it didn't work out and got pulled back into hunting.
Sam and Dean first visit Penny's sister, who is reluctant to talk to anymore people. Sam, tells he understands and talks her into letting them in, so they investigate the case further. The sister lets them in, and Dean walks in smiling at the fact that Sam has still has got his mojo. The sister takes them to Penny's room, and talks about Penny. She mentions that Penny only went on the plane because of Stan.
At the motel, Sam is doing research on the missing girls. He figures that the first two girls did church work, but Penny wasn't a Christian. Then Dean reveals he stole Penny's diary from her room. Sam is clearly angry and shocked by this. Dean mentions how he loves that Sam is shocked at this. Sam catches this and asks why wouldn't he be. Dean begins to read the diary, effectively creeping Sam out. From this, they figure out that Penny was a virgin.
At a local high school, Melissa is parting with friends, saying good bye. She is walking across campus on her own, when she hears weird noises. On edge she moves faster. When she looks up in the night sky and sees something descend upon her, and runs for it. Much to her luck, she trips and falls.
The next day, Sam and Dean visit Melissa in the hospital, and they ask her to describe what happened. Melissa tells Sam and Dean that her attacked looked like a giant bat, and then she passed out. When she woke up, it was gone, and had marking on her shoulders where it grabbed her. Melissa shows them where it scratched her. Melissa mentions also that her golden promise ring was stolen. Dean asks her if she really was a virgin, and Melissa angrily admits the boy she had sex with didn't count. As they walk out of the hospital and towards the Impala, Dean makes a joke, and Sam comments on how he has been gone for a year and came back, and Dean's jokes are still not funny.
Back at the motel, Sam has hit a roadblock while trying to figure out what likes virgins and gold, and it all takes him back to World of Warcraft fan sites. Dean is confused and Sam tells Dean it's dragons and it can't be possible. Dean says it might and calls Bobby for a second opinion. Bobby is cooking in his kitchen, when the phone rings. When he picks up, Dean asks Bobby what does he know about dragons. Bobby insists they aren't real, and says he will make some inquiries. He also asks Dean how is the lying to Sam going, but Dean cuts him off and hangs up. While waiting for Bobby's phone call, Sam and Dean look over their files. Sam looks through John's Journal and has a deja vu moment when he sees the Skinwalker page. Sam asks Dean if they took on a skinwalker recently, and Dean lies and insists they haven't. Although this doesn't convince Sam, then Bobby calls. He refers Dean to an expert on medieval studies, Dr. Visyak.
The scene shifts to an underground tunnel, where the captured women are locked up in cages. One of the dragons arrives, shifting to human form, and brings in a new captured girl. The new girl struggles for release, and the dragon breaks her arm, and tosses her in with the others. The dragon closes the door, and using generated heat from his hand, wields the door shut.
Dean arrives at Dr. Visyak's place, and rings the door bell. She opens the door, and tries to get rid of him, but lets Dean in at the mention of Bobby's name. Once in the house, Dr. Visyak tells Dean to kick Bobby in the groin next time Dean sees him, which confuses Dean and Dr. Visyak suggests Dean ask Bobby about it. Dean asks Dr. Visyak about dragons, and she answers its been around 700 years since they were last seen. Dr. Visyak continues on by saying that only way to kill a dragon is to use a blade forged with dragon's blood, but there is only a few left. Lucky for Dean, Dr. Visyak reveals that she had acquired one and its in the basement. They head down to the basement, where Dean sees the sword embedded in stone. Dean attempts to pull the sword out, but is unable to. Then Dean gets another idea, but warns Dr. Visyak she won't like it.
At the motel, Sam calls Bobby asking for help on finding the dragon's lair. Since there are no caves, Bobby suggests that Sam thinks of alternatives. Then it hits Sam - sewers, since Dragons like dark hidden areas. Sam thanks Bobby, and then asks Bobby if he is okay. Bobby lies (since he promised Dean he won't tell Sam) and insists nothing is wrong in the last year and a half that involves Sam, and hangs up. This leaves Sam further curious, so he attempts to summon Castiel. To his luck Castiel appears, telling Sam how good it is to see Sam, and attempts to hug Sam but he sits down. Sam tells Castiel he would hug Castiel, but it would be awkward. Sam goes on to talk about how its been a crazy year and how he just talked to Bobby about it. Castiel is unaware that Dean and Bobby didn't tell Sam he was soulless, and Sam catches on that he wasn't told everything. Castiel then asks Sam whats it like to have his soul back, and Sam is surprised by this, but plays along to get more information. Sam asks Castiel to fill in the blanks for him.
Dean is laying down the final preparation to blast the stone away from the sword using explosives. Dr. Visyak is concerned for the sword's safety, and Dean reassures her he knows what he is doing. She gives in due to they have no other choice. Dean sets the charge, closes the door and backs away. When ready, Dean hits the detonator button, and an explosion is heard from the other room. Now safe, they head back in the room, and see the stone broken in pieces, and the sword still there. Dean pulls the sword out though, but only to discover that he had broken it. Dr. Visyak looks at the remnants of the sword in horror.
Dean returns from Dr. Visyak's to the motel room and Dean shows Sam whats left of the blade. Sam tells Dean he had found with Bobby's help, the location of the dragon's lair, which is the sewers. As Dean prepares to leave, he notices Sam hesitating, but Sam tells Dean its nothing.
In the sewers, they begin to wonder if they are lost, until they find a pile of gold, signaling they are nearing the dragons' lair. Sam soon finds a chamber with a table with candles and an old book on it. Sam grabs the book, and then the boys hear women screaming and ran to investigate. Sam and Dean find all the missing women trapped in cages, and Sam tries to free them. The women warn Sam and Dean that the dragon will be back any moment. Then the dragon appears in human form, and attacks. Sam gets stunned, and Dean cuts the dragon with the sword. The dragon knocks the blade out of Dean's hand, but is stopped by the dragon. Sam lends a helping hand, and distracts the dragon while Dean goes for the blade. Then the second dragon arrives and attacks Dean. Then Sam goes for the sword, and manages to grab it, and stabs the second dragon. Seeing the death of his brother, the first dragon flees.
After the case is finished, they head back to Bobby's Place, and Dean is looking at the gold they got from the dragon's lair. Sam comments that Dean should just roll in it. Dean resorts that he rarely has wealth. Then Sam gets serious and apologizes to Dean. At first Dean tries to hide it, and then asks who told Sam. Sam tells Dean Castiel told him, and Dean comments on how Cass is such a child. Sam angrily points out that Dean should have told him. Sam continues on by saying that he feels responsible for what he did when he was soulless, and he should make amends. Dean points out that it wasn't Sam, but Sam rebuts saying it was still a part of him. Sam asks Dean what he did. Dean tells Sam it could be dangerous due to Death putting a wall in Sam's head between him and the things he doesn't remember. But Sam points out that Dean would do the same thing if he were in Sam's shoes. Then Bobby calls Sam and Dean in. He tells the boys he has been translating the journal Sam found in the dragon's lair, and tells them it's very old (the pages are made from human skin). Bobby tells them the book describes a place of blood and bone, filled with the souls of all the monsters slain.
The dragon that got away meets up with more of its kind, telling them what happened. The other dragon reassures him that they have enough virgins to meet their need. They move towards the van full of young virgin women, and grab one out, and drag her to a nearby cave. Bobby explains book is talking about Purgatory, and its like a how to manual to open a door to it. Although there is one page, with specific instructions, is missing from the book.
The dragon brings the virgin to the edge of the chasm and reads the inscription from the page ripped from the book. Fires ignite below, and the dragon cuts his arm and lets the blood drip down. Then the dragons grab the girl and toss her head first into the chasm and finish the spell. Bobby tells Sam and Dean that the book explains the ritual can bring something from Purgatory, but he doesn't what it is exactly. All Bobby can get from the book is a name: Mother of All. The dragons watch as the girl rises from the chasm and floats down, with her eyes glowing with power. The dragons greet her, and she answers they have much to do and its time to get started.
- Kim Johnston Ulrich as Eleanor Visyak
- Julia Maxwell as Eve's vessel and Eve
- Jodi Balfour as Melissa
- Darla Taylor as Penny Dessertine
- Zach Martin as Stan
Featured Supernatural Beings
- Archangel (Lucifer, mentioned only)
- Dragons (Cloverfield, Dragon Enforcer, Dragon Kidnapper)
- Eleanor Visyak's Species (Eleanor Visyak)
- Part-Leviathan (Eve)
- Loch Ness Monster (mentioned only)
- Seraph (Castiel)
- Skinwalkers (mentioned only)
- Antagonists: Eve and Dragons
- This is the first new Supernatural episode airing in 2011. This is also the first new episode to air in February.
- It was originally supposed to be aired on January 28th but was postponed for February 4th, after CW executives decided to push it back in order to air repeats of The Vampire Diaries and Nikita, which were up against American Idol, thus, garnering less viewers.
- The opening of this episode very closely resembles the opening of the series premiere of Batman: The Animated Series, "On Leather Wings", in that a passenger in an aircraft asks the pilot if they "saw that" outside the window that looked like a large bat. It is likely in regards to this, that Batman is later mentioned in the episode.
- Harry Potter and The Neverending Story are both referenced in this episode.
- The building that serves as Dr. Visyak's home is the historic B.T. Rogers mansion, also known as "Gabriola," located in Vancouver's West End. It is said to be haunted. The stained glass window seen behind Dean and Dr. Visyak as they descend the stairs is titled "The Three Graces."
- J. R. R. Tolkien's Middle Earth from Lord of The Rings is also referenced in this episode.
- Dr. Visyak tells Dean that the prized sword in her house is the Sword of Bruncvik. According to Czech legend, the knight Bruncvik of Prague set out on a pilgrimage and while on it, acquired a magic sword that was capable of killing on its own. One day he happened upon a battle between a lion and a 9-headed dragon and joined the lion in its fight. Together they slayed the dragon with the sword. The grateful lion became Bruncvic's faithful companion and accompanied him on his return home. After Bruncvic's death, the lion died of grief on his grave. The sword disappeared after the knight's death, but legend has it that it lays buried in the structure of the historic Charles Bridge in Prague, where a statue of Bruncvic has been erected.
- The video game "World of Warcraft" Is mentioned briefly when Sam searches for Fire, flying, claws, virgins and gold on the internet he claimed World of Warcraft fan sites popped up. However, dragons in World of Warcraft have no interest in virgins or gold.
- At first Sam and Dean assume that Eve is only the "Mother of Dragons", a name that the Game of Thrones character Daenerys Targaryen is sometimes called.
- The CW's official summary for this episode does not cite Jim Beaver as a guest star.
- The episode title Like A Virgin is also the name of a song by Madonna from her second album of the same name. It was released on November 6, 1984. The official music video can be found here.
- Dean speculates that the monster rejected Melissa because "she was already de-hymenated". In reality, the hymen does not work as an indicator of virginity. This was likely just Dean's own terminology as he referred to himself as "re-hymenated" in Season 4's Monster Movie when he believes that Castiel's resurrection of him restored Dean's virginity.
- "Back In The Saddle" by Aerosmith
- "New Day Yesterday" by Jethro Tull
- Dean: What do you know about dragons?
- Bobby: What? Nothing.
- Dean: Seriously.
- Bobby: Well, they're not like the Loch Ness monster, Dean. Dragons aren't real.
- Dean: Could you make a few calls?
- Bobby: To who? Hogwarts?
- Dean: (talking to a stone) You rocks think you're so smart!
- Sam: So what kind of thing likes virgins and gold?
- Dean: P. Diddy?
- Sam: You know, it's comforting.
- Dean: What's that?
- Sam: I died for a year, came back, and you're still not funny.
- Dean: Shut up, I'm hilarious.
- Dragon: Where did you get that?
- Dean: Comic-Con.
- It Was A New Day Yesterday, But It's An Old Day Now - Synopsis and Review
- German: Wie man einen Drachen tötet (How to kill a dragon)
- French: L'épée De Bruncwik (The Sword Of Bruncvik)
- Hungarian: Széplány ajándékba (Pretty girl as a gift)