|That's all, folks!|
This article is about a character appearing in the animated series, which is not canon. You may be looking for the live-action series counterpart, if any.
|“||The Kappa are said to be friendly, and not hostile towards humans. [...] It warns of danger in exchange for food.||”|
Originally believed to be attacking the people in a small town, Sam and Dean happened to be stuck in. The brothers investigated and thought it was an aquatic demon called a "Yam" but after more investigation it was uncovered that creature was not harming anyone, it was actually saving lives. It had protected a couple from a car accident, saved a man from a fatal heart attack and saved a group of hunters from both a landslide and a lightning strike. It took food from all the people it saved and had a particular fondness for sweets. After Sam tells the towns people that the creature was actually helping them, they all agree to stop hunting it and let it be free.
They are covered with scales, and have webbed hands and feet with sharp claw like fingers. Humanoid but turtle and frog-like in appearance, they also have big eyes and a large toothy smile.
Powers and Abilities
- Precognition - They can see future events that would cause humans harm, such as a landslide, lightning strike and a car accident. One was even able to see that a man was going to have a fatal heart attack.
- Underwater Breathing - They live and thrive underwater but can walk on land and breathe air as well.
- Longevity - One of them was well over 100 years old.
- Super Strength - Kappa have strength superior to humans. One managed to drag a full-grown man through the woods effortlessly.
- Super Speed - Kappa can move at superhuman speed both on land and underwater.
A kappa (河童, river-child)—also known as kawatarō (川太郎, "river-boy"), komahiki (駒引, horse-puller), kawatora (川虎, river-tiger) or suiko (水虎, water-tiger)–is an amphibious yōkai demon or imp found in traditional Japanese folklore. They are typically depicted as green, human-like beings with webbed hands and feet and a turtle-like carapace on their backs.