|“||A serial killer clown. I mean this is like the best worst thing that's ever happened to you. You know because you love serial killers but, but you hate clowns.||”|
|“||John Wayne Gacy's ghost. Well, that's one for the record books.||”|
John Wayne Gacy (born March 17, 1942 - May 10, 1994), also known as the Killer Clown, was an infamous serial killer.
In life, John Wayne Gacy was an infamous serial killer known as the Killer Clown who raped, tortured, and murdered at least thirty-three boys and young men. He was eventually captured and executed for his crimes, but his ghost became attached to his cigar box. At some point, his cigar box fell into the hands of Terry.
In Lebanon, after Terry's death, his cigar box was taken by hunters Sam and Dean Winchester who were unaware that Gacy's ghost was in the box. After the Impala was stolen by Max, the cigar box was taken to an abandoned house along with the rest of Terry's collection where the partying kids left the box unlatched. Gacy's ghost was released from the box as a result.
When Ethan went to wash his hands in the bathroom, Gacy terrorized the boy by fogging over the bathroom mirror, appearing in it when he wiped away the fog and then lunging out of the mirror at Ethan. Having tracked the Impala to the house, the Winchesters arrived in time to witness the terrified Ethan running away and were told of his encounter with the ghostly clown.
After clearing the house, Sam spotted the cigar box and realized that they were dealing with Gacy's ghost while his breath became visible, confirming the presence of a ghost. Sam quickly put the cigar box into the house's fireplace and began trying to burn it. As Sam struggled to light his Zippo, Gacy caused the lights to flicker and appeared nearby. Gacy attacked Dean and threw him into a couch, but Sam finally managed to ignite the cigar box. Gacy's ghost went up in flames and was destroyed as the local kids rushed in in time to witness his destruction.
In Back and to the Future, Gacy chases a mother and daughter at the birthday party after slaughtering everyone else. The two manage to hide and escape Gacy.
When Sam arrives looking for people not yet evacuated, he finds the mother and daughter. Gacy appears and attacks Sam with a knife, wounding and nearly killing him. However, Castiel dispatches the deranged serial killer with a rock salt blast and heals Sam's wound. As the four try to escape, Gacy, Mary Worthington, Lizzie Borden and another ghost attack, trying to kill them. Gacy focuses his attack on Sam who gets disarmed and can't reach his shotgun. Finally, Castiel is able to break free and dispatch the ghosts with rock salt.
As the ghosts regroup, Belphegor's spell goes into effect, creating a barrier nearby that Castiel and the two ladies run for while Sam tries to hold off the ghosts. Discovering that he is out of ammo, Sam is forced to run as well, carrying the daughter to safety. The ghosts catch up and Gacy tries to stab Sam, only to hit the barrier created by the spell which traps the ghosts within a one-mile radius. Gacy screams at Sam in rage, causing Sam to order the psychotic clown to shut up. Shocked, Gacy complies and glares after Sam, Castiel and the two victims they rescued from him as they escape.
In The Rupture, when Rowena tries to perform the Rafforza l'incantesimo, she has a flashback to Gacy's attack in the street along with the actions of several other ghosts and announces that she can't strengthen the barrier as it is too weak and the ghosts are too strong.
Powers and Abilities
John Wayne Gacy was a somewhat powerful ghost.
- Invisibility - As a ghost, he was naturally invisible though he could become visible at will.
- Thermokinesis - As a ghost, Gacy's presence dropped the temperature in a room and caused the breath of everyone in his vicinity to become visible. Additionally, he was able to purposefully fog over a mirror.
- Electrokinesis - Gacy caused the lights to flicker while trying to stop the Winchesters from destroying him.
- Super Speed - Gacy's ghost was able to rush at Dean incredibly fast.
- Super Strength - Gacy was able to shove Dean into a couch hard.
- Season 2
- Simon Said (referenced only)
- Season 5
- Sam, Interrupted (referenced only)
- Season 14
- Season 15
- John Wayne Gacy is the second famous serial killer that the Winchesters have faced as a ghost. In Season 2's No Exit, they faced the ghost of Henry H. Holmes, America's first serial killer.
- In real life, John Wayne Gacy was cremated after his execution, explaining why his spirit could be destroyed by burning his cigar box.
- As pointed out by Dean, Gacy is a combination of Sam's favorite and most hated things: serial killers and clowns.
- It is unknown how Gacy's ghost became trapped in his cigar box. When released, he appeared first as a cloud of gray smoke before taking the form of a ghostly clown. This cloudy form was similar to Chester Johnson's form when he was expelled from someone that he was possessing in Plush.
- Gacy is actually referenced in Season 2's Simon Said. After seeing Andrew Gallagher's van, Dean comments "not exactly a serial killer's lair, though. There's no... clown paintings on the walls, or scissors stuck in victims' photos. I like the tiger." Dean mentioning clown paintings is a reference to Gacy, who was known to paint portraits of his alter ego "Pogo the Clown" while incarcerated.
- He's also referenced by Dean in Season 5's Sam, Interrupted. When looking Martin Creaser's clown drawings, Dean asked if they were "original Gacy's," referring to Gacy's tendency to paint portraits of his clown alter-ego "Pogo the Clown" while he was in prison.
- Interestingly, Sam didn't seem to be afraid of John Wayne Gacy even though he's a clown and Sam is actually afraid of clowns.
- He's one of the only seven characters to be based on real people, the others being H.P. Lovecraft, Eliot Ness, H.H. Holmes, Samuel Colt, and Kate and Margaret Fox.
- IMDB lists him as Ghost Clown in Lebanon, Pogo the Clown in Moriah and Clown Ghost in Back and to the Future.