Iron is a metallic element that possesses strong supernatural properties, and is thus used mostly by hunters, when combating against supernatural creatures.
Creatures that Iron effects
- Demons- to touch iron burns a demon, they also can't cross iron, much like salt. Their weakness to iron is so strong, that even Azazel, one of (if not they) most powerful demons ever to exist, who was immuned to many other demon weakness, was still affected by Iron. The only known demon to be immune to Iron is Samhain.
- Ghosts- To be stabbed or shot by iron, will temporalily make the ghost disappear, they also can't cross iron, much like demons. Sam and Dean considered cold iron to be the best way to repel vengeful spirits.
- Fairies- All fairies are weakened by iron, although powerful ones like Leprechaun's can shrug it off.
- Phoenix- Iron burned the Phoenix's skin, and it couldn't touch Iron, or if imprisoned by it, escape.
- Leshi- The only way to kill a Leshi, is to cut of its head, with an iron axe.
- Shtriga- Iron is the only thing that can kill a Shtriga
Iron also effects humans, who enter full astra state, exactly the same as it does to ghosts, they can be imprisoned by it, to touch it causes them pain, and makes them temporaily disappear, although like ghosts, the only reappear inside the iron prison.