The Loop (TV)
Do you like this video?
|“||Don't worry. Most creatures I meet can't get it up for iron. It's a common monster problem.||”|
Iron is a metallic element that possesses strong supernatural properties and is thus used by hunters when combating certain supernatural creatures.
Creatures Affected by Iron[edit | edit source]
- Demons - Touching an iron will burn most demons.
- Wendigos - The Pad of Definitions mentions that wendigos can only succumb to a few metals, one of them is iron, although it dosen't states that it can in fact kill them.
- Fairies - All fairies are weakened by iron, although powerful ones like Leprechauns can shrug it off.
- Ghosts - Shooting or stabbing a ghost with iron will temporarily make the ghost disappear. Ghosts also can't cross iron. Sam and Dean consider cold iron to be the best way to repel vengeful spirits. If a person possessed by a spirit touches something made of pure iron the spirit will be forced out of the human.
- Hellhounds - Iron can harm them as demonstrated in the episode "Abandon All Hope..." in which Ellen and Jo sacrifice themselves to attempt to kill the attacking hellhounds by detonating a propane bomb filled with iron nails and rock salt.
- Leshi - The only way to kill a Leshi is to cut off its head with an iron axe.
- Phoenixes - Iron burned the Phoenix's skin, and it couldn't touch Iron, or if imprisoned by it, escape.
- Shtrigas - Consecrated Iron bullets are the only known thing that can kill a Shtriga.
- Witches - Although Iron doesn't hurt witches, it blocks their powers, as Dean used it to restrain James Frampton and he was unable to escape from them or astral project. Olivette was also bound by Iron when Crowley captured her for his mother Rowena and was left powerless. However, a sufficiently powerful witch such as Rowena proved able to eventually break free from the iron chains Sam placed on her and even noted that iron won't hold her for too long. Iron’s ability to block a witch’s power isn’t absolute as it doesn’t prevent certain spells such as removing the Mark of Cain.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- In many cultures and religions, iron is something that keeps evil and/or supernatural forces at bay.
References[edit | edit source]
See Also[edit | edit source]
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.