|“||When the oil burns, no angel can touch or pass through the flames, or he dies.||”|
Holy Oil is a very rare substance that can be found in Jerusalem. A circle of burning holy oil is so far the only way to trap a celestial being. Utilized properly, it is also one of the few substances that can kill all angels but Michael, and possibly the other archangels. It also has a level of effectiveness against demons, killing lower demons and causing severe pain to higher demons. It can work as a cure for Rabids. It is also part of the ritual to create new bullets for the Colt and the ritual to seal a rift in space and time.
The angel will not be able to leave the circle, or both it and its vessel will face certain death. It should be noted that a circle of holy fire is not the equivalent of a devil's trap: while inside the circle, the angel can still use of some of their abilities and are able to move; they merely choose not to leave the circle out of fear of touching or passing through the holy fire. If an angel touches or passes through/over holy fire, then not only will the human vessel be destroyed and die, the angel will be killed as well. However, if an angel is burned by holy fire merely to the brink of death and doesn't die right away, another angel can heal them of their injuries.
Michael, however, is resistant to the holy fire and could not be killed by it. The Holy Fire is still extremely painful for him and can temporarily banish him. Holy Fire is capable of holding at least Gabriel and Raphael, though the latter somehow escapes without being released. It was also recently shown to be capable of holding Lucifer for a short time.
Holy Fire can kill demons if they are in it long enough, otherwise, it will just cause them extreme pain, as demonstrated when Castiel threw Meg into Holy Fire and it caused her pain but failed to kill her.
According to the Demon Tablet, hellhounds can be seen through an object scorched with Holy Fire. This is shown to be true when Dean scorches two pairs of glasses with Holy Fire and he and Sam are able to see and kill a hellhound.
When he was searching for a cure for rabids, Sam found a reference in the Bible to holy oil being used for purifications. Having learned that he is "unclean in a biblical sense", Sam used a sponge doused in holy fire on himself and the rabid infection burned away. Mere proximity to holy fire was also proven to be enough to cure rabids, as a group was cured when Sam trapped them in a ring of holy fire.
Crowley later states that even when combined with warding, holy fire can only contain an archangel for a few minutes. However, as it was shown to easily hold both Raphael and Gabriel, this may be in relation to Lucifer who is more powerful than the other two.
In an attempt to free Castiel from Lucifer's possession and send him back to the Cage, the Winchesters, Crowley and Rowena summoned Lucifer into an angel trap surrounded by holy fire. Eventually, the warding and the holy fire failed and Lucifer was released.
While battling the Prince of Hell Ramiel, Sam, Dean and Mary Winchester used a circle of holy fire to contain him. Ramiel simply commented that it was "toasty" and broke free easily minutes later using the Lance of Michael.
After discovering that the British Men of Letters possess the Colt, Sam tells Mick Davies that he will need to create a tincture of holy oil, sage and myrrh as part of the ritual to create new bullets for the Colt.
When faced with the Apocalypse World Michael, Dean turned the container of holy oil from the Impala's trunk into a makeshift Molotov cocktail that created a line of holy fire that blocked Michael's way, allowing the Winchesters and Castiel to escape. Michael appeared to have to wait until the fire ignited a nearby gas pump to be able to escape.
While facing off against the alternate Michael in Dean's body, Sam hits him with a holy fire cocktail setting Michael on fire briefly. Michael quickly manages to extinguish the flames, but it allows Castiel to get him with the Supernatural Handcuffs.
After convincing the Main Universe Michael to meet with him, Castiel traps the archangel in a ring of holy fire, shocking Michael. The Winchesters then enter with the handcuffs which they use to restrain Michael before he is removed from the holy fire and taken to the bunker.
- Season 5
- Season 6
- Season 8
- Season 9
- Season 10
- Season 11
- Season 12
- Season 13
- Season 14
- Season 15
- Dean once referred to holy oil as "Jesus juice".
- The Winchesters and Castiel have utilized holy oil against all of the archangels they have come across.
- Dean and Castiel use a ring of holy fire to trap Raphael in Free To Be You and Me.
- Sam and Dean use a ring of holy fire to trap Gabriel in Changing Channels.
- Castiel uses a holy fire Molotov cocktail to temporarily banish Michael in Swan Song.
- Holy fire is part of the warding around the cage in Limbo where Sam meets with Lucifer in O Brother, Where Art Thou?.
- Sam, Dean, Rowena and Crowley use a ring of holy fire as part of their warding to trap Lucifer while they try to expel him from Castiel in Hell's Angel.
- Dean uses a holy fire Molotov cocktail to hold the Apocalypse World Michael at bay in Let the Good Times Roll.
- Sam and Castiel use a holy fire Molotov to distract Alternate Michael in Nihilism so that they can capture him.
- Castiel traps the Main Universe Michael in a ring of holy fire in Our Father, Who Aren't in Heaven so that he can be taken captive.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Free To Be You and Me
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 Form and Void
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 The Raid
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 All Along the Watchtower
- ↑ Stairway to Heaven
- ↑ Swan Song
- ↑ The Third Man
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 Hell's Angel
- ↑ Abandon All Hope...
- ↑ Sacrifice
- ↑ Soul Survivor
- ↑ Trial and Error
- ↑ Stuck in the Middle (With You)
- ↑ Scoobynatural
- ↑ Let the Good Times Roll
- ↑ Stranger in a Strange Land
- ↑ Nihilism
- ↑ Our Father, Who Aren't in Heaven