The Analytics Dashboard is a feature available on all Fandom and Gamepedia wikis that provides web analytics information. The Dashboard is accessible to administrators through the analytics page, available on the list of special pages.
The Dashboard was developed first for Gamepedia in 2018, after the 2017 Gamepedia Editor Survey identified it as one of the most requested features. The Dashboard was ported to Fandom in 2019, in response to requests for better access to web analytics.
The information we gather through our various systems can give a lot of insight into how each wiki is being used. Information such as Top Pages, Most Viewed Images, or Top Search Terms can help our admins and top editors to identify popular content, learn more about how users use the wiki, and prioritize high traffic pages.
For example, growing your wiki is much easier with this data:
- You can identify which pages receive large volumes of traffic. These pages can be given extra attention to make sure they are easy to use and navigate.
- You can identify what search terms your users prefer. This can be used to improve navigation and even rename pages to make them easier to find both through the wiki's search tool and on search engines.
- You can identify how users browse your wiki. If a substantial share of users visit your wiki on mobile devices, then you can focus on improving mobile main page and ensuring templates work properly on them.
Data usage policy and examples
Data provided through the Analytics Dashboard is shared as a courtesy to help our admins and editors gain insight into their individual wikis. However, it remains sensitive information. Data such as specific traffic numbers should not be widely shared, to prevent abuse.
In short, exercise due care when choosing how to share information from the Analytics Dashboard with your communities:
- DO share statistics with other active editors on your wiki (eg. high traffic pages or most popular search terms)
- DO use statistics in discussions on-wiki about content development decisions (eg. deciding which pages to improve first)
- DON'T use public image hosts (such as Imgur) to share screenshots (eg. graph showing traffic changes)
- DON'T share specific statistics in public forums, discords, or other spaces (eg. number of page views over the last week)
If you have any questions about how these statistics should be used, please reach out to staff on the #analytics channel on our Official Discord server.
- How do I get X feature added?
- Please to request a new feature. Be very specific about the feature specifications and the use cases it would support.
- Where is this data drawn from?
- Data is taken from various sources including Google Analytics and standard MediaWiki logging.
- How often is this data updated?
- Data is updated a maximum of once per day.
- What should I do if I know someone is abusing the Dashboard and sharing information in a way I think may be against this policy?
- Please so that we can look into the situation. Generally, except in extreme cases, we will simply remind the user to review these policies. We reserve the right to take other actions as the situation warrants.