|“||I believe we are hunting a Gorgon. An ancient, cursed being, with an affinity for snakes and a hunger for human flesh.||”|
A Gorgon is a type of demigod.
Powers and Abilities
- Paralyzing venom - Gorgons possess a powerful paralyzing venom, the source of the myth about their turning people to stone. This venom is so potent that it can even affect a wingless Seraphim.
- Super Strength - Gorgons possess an incredible degree of strength, able to overpower humans with ease.
- Telepathy - One gorgon showed the ability to read the mind of one of his victims and taunt him with his thoughts as the man attempted to deny what was happening to him.
- Animal Communication - Gorgons can understand and communicate with snakes.
- Invulnerability - Gorgons can only be killed by being decapitated with a silver blade.
- Immortality - Being a race of demigods, they can potentially live forever.
- Precognition - By eating the eyes of a human, a gorgon could see glimpses of the near future. By looking at a person, they could see their fate. Their power to see the immediate future was limited to that of humans and with a Seraphim and a Nephilim, one could not see them even when the Seraphim was standing next to a human in the event he foresaw. However, he could apparently foresee the future of the Nephilim when he was in front of the gorgon.
- Master Hand-to-Hand Combatant - He easily defeated Sam, Dean, Castiel and Jack without missing a single blow.
Gorgons possesses very few weaknesses.
- Decapitation with a silver blade - The only known way to kill a gorgon is cut their head off with a silver blade.
- Season 8
- Remember the Titans (mentioned only)
- Season 9
- Blade Runners (Medusa, portrait)
- Season 13
- The Scorpion and The Frog (fossilized tooth and mentioned)
- Season 14
- The Gorgon in Greek myth were the three sisters, Stheno, Euryale, and Medusa, who had the power to turn anyone who looked at them to stone. All three had once been beautiful women until they were cursed by the goddess Athena after Medusa was raped by the sea god Poseidon in Athena's temple. Medusa was the only mortal out of the three, and was killed by the Greek hero Perseus, when he turned her power against her with a mirror, turning her into stone, and then cutting off her head.
- The portrait shown in Blade Runners is Medusa a c.1618 painting by the Flemish painter Peter Paul Rubens, showing the severed head of Medusa. The snakes in the painting have been attributed to Frans Snyders. It is in the collection of the Kunsthistorisches Museumin Vienna. Another copy is held in Moravian Gallery in Brno.
- In Ouroboros, Rowena reveals that Medusa was in fact real but calls the stories about her exaggerated.