Funeralia is the 19th episode of Season 13. It aired on April 19, 2018.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
Sam and Dean must stop Rowena (guest star Ruth Connell), who is on a deadly mission. Meanwhile, Castiel looks to heaven to recruit angels for an impending invasion but is shocked by not only what he finds, but who.
Team Free Will are doing their best to locate Gabriel, after he decided to leave instead of helping. Castiel arrives at the Heavenly Portal, finding it unguarded before he finds the guard Indra trying to get drunk. Castiel tells Indra that he is not, he just wants to get into Heaven. To Castiel's shock, Indra's only response is to ask who is stopping Castiel.
Surprised by Indra's response, Castiel admits that it wasn't the welcome he was expecting, causing Indra to tell him that they are all having to learn to live with disappointment lately. Indra admits that he could "get it together" to fight if Castiel wants and the angels aren't pleased with Castiel's "ongoing adventures," but dismisses the idea and takes a drink instead. Castiel is shocked to see that Indra is drinking and he admits that he wants to "take the edge off." Annoyed, Castiel tells Indra that guarding the Gates of Heaven is an important responsibility, but Indra is incredulous that Castiel thinks guarding the portal is an important responsibility. Indra suggests that Castiel can say they fought and kill him right now which "would be okay." Castiel is stunned by this request and asks if its a joke. Growing more serious, Indra asks if it is a joke and simply tells Castiel to see for himself rather than explaining what he means or his behavior. Sitting on a seahorse, Indra wishes his brother luck "for what its worth" and watches as Castiel enters Heaven and continues to drink.
Castiel enters Heaven where he meets Duma and two other angels, he tells them he knows they want to kill him but he states he needs the angels' help in finding the archangel Gabriel who he reveals is still alive, to their surprise. He also explains he needs them in fighting an Alternate Michael who wants to invade and conquer their world. Though wary, Duma hears Castiel out and decides that maybe they can help each other after all and leaves Castiel sitting in Heaven's Throne Room for a long time.
Investigating the scene, the Winchesters discover controversy of the victim before noticing burn marks of a figure. They see no report of a second casualty but learn that it resembles a reaper. Acting on a hunch, Dean calls on Jessica who appears and he questions her about the reapers dying and she states this was why she was sent and would have told them had Sam not sent her off, to his annoyance. She states Rowena is killing reapers and explains what consequence that Rowena's actions will cause and how they should stop her since Billie ordered the reapers not to get involved directly. Jessica brings up Dean seeing his shelf of permanent deaths and soon reveals that for Rowena it always has one constant involving Sam. Jessica reveals he is always the one to kill Rowena permanently, which shocks the brothers.
In Heaven, Castiel sits bored as the lights flicker before Duma returns, asking about Gabriel and getting him to Heaven. When Castiel admits that he doesn't know where Gabriel is and asks Duma to send a few angels to search for him, Naomi arrives and explains that Duma can't. Seeing Naomi, Castiel becomes surprised and angry before he questions her survival as she reveals that the drill couldn't kill her. She takes Castiel to her old office to speak with him. Castiel brings up his previous relief of her death as she mentions they never did get along. Castiel confronts her over her actions such as manipulating him and his memories, act out Dean's murder several times and killing many humans in front of him.
As Heavens power flickers Naomi asks Castiel if he knows what powers Heaven and Castiel tells her it's the angels. Naomi confirms this stating that every angel is like a walking talking battery and the flickering lights is what happens when the angels run out of power. Naomi explains that there are now only nine angels in Heaven including Naomi and Castiel and one or two on earth and that's all we are the last men and women and divine waves of light still standing as it were. Castiel is horrified by the news, having known their numbers were small but not that small. With so few angels left in creation Heaven is running out of power. Naomi explains that the few angels left can't help him as none can leave Heaven as they're the only things still keeping the lights on barely. As less than a dozen Angels isn't enough to properly keep Heaven running, the angels will eventually burn out in an attempt to maintain it, and with nothing left to power it, Heaven will subsequently die, releasing the billions of spirits it contains to earth as ghosts causing massive chaos and death. Their only hope to save Heaven and stop this from happening is for Castiel to find Gabriel and return him to Heaven, as his immense power as an archangel can keep Heaven running otherwise they don't have much time left.
After severely injuring another person, his reaper Martin, appears and Rowena spots him and asks to meet his boss but he says Death doesn't deal with witches. Annoyed, Rowena sets her victim ablaze and it happens to his reaper as well. Sam and Dean arrive too late and watch Jessica mourns her fellow reaper before they get a call from Rowena who wants a meeting with him. At a restaurant, they question her motives as Rowena revealed she was doing all this to get Death's attention so she would resurrect Crowley for her, as she went onto state it was her fault as to how he turned out. The brothers state it won't be possible and threaten her to stop by revealing that they have learned Sam is always the one to permanently kill her. Rowena is mildly surprised to learn this, though runs off with her associate Bernard after leaving an astral projection behind. Sam chases her and tries to get through to her but she refuses to be deterred and dares him to kill her to stop, he reluctantly shoots though she stops it and knocks him out for his actions.
Rowena takes Sam to her hideout where she tortures him before Billie shows up. Rowena recognizes her, as Billie brings up their last meeting when she was merely a reaper. Billie tells her to stop but Rowena threatens to kill Sam but Billie is unfazed as Rowena attacks her but she isn't affected. Rowena breaks down as all she wanted was her son back as Billie tells her that there is natural order to things and though it may hurt they all have to accept it. She continues to cry as Dean and Jessica enter, Billie acknowledges Dean and says she'll see him again before everyone watches as Billie and Jessica disappear.
After accompanying Castiel back to earth, Naomi asks Castiel to tell Gabriel what is happening in heaven if he finds him. She promises that if he can't find Gabriel the Angels' will do their duty and keep things running for as long as they can. Though, Castiel insists that they will find a way to fix this even if Gabriel can't be found, Naomi is skeptical believing that it may be one of the things that cannot be fixed and everything ends. She states that until the situation is resolved the gates of Heaven are closed, as the siblings share a nod before she returns to Heaven, closing the heavenly portal in the process.
Afterwards, Rowena sits with the brothers and is comforted by Sam before she is told Lucifer is back and they may need her help in stopping him, which agrees to, pointing out that she now knows Lucifer won't be the one to ultimately kill her. Both brothers express hope that Rowena can be redeemed for her actions and that they can help her change her fate.
- Erica Cerra as Duma
- Kayla Stanton as Jessica
- Luc Roderique as Indra
- Franckie Francois as Martin
- Blake Stadel as James Melford
- Jason William Day as Bernard
- Sherilyn Allen as Elizabeth Mahler
Featured Supernatural Beings
- Angels (Naomi, Indra, Duma; Metatron, mentioned only)
- Archangels (Lucifer, Michael, Alternate Michael and Gabriel, mentioned only)
- Crossroad Demon (Crowley, mentioned only)
- Nephilim (Jack, mentioned only)
- Reapers (Jessica, Billie, Elizabeth Mahler's Reaper and Martin)
- Seraph (Castiel)
- Witch (Rowena MacLeod)
- Rowena MacLeod previously appeared in Various & Sundry Villains.
- Jessica and Billie previously appeared in Advanced Thanatology.
- Team Free Will is looking for Gabriel after he left in Bring 'em Back Alive.
- Naomi previously appeared in Sacrifice.
- The Heavenly Portal was previously featured in Devil's Bargain.
- A witch was previously featured in Various & Sundry Villains.
- A reaper was previously featured in Advanced Thanatology.
- The anti-possession tattoo was previously featured in The Rising Son.
- Death's ring was previously seen in Advanced Thanatology.
- The Diminishing Spell was previously used in the Season 11 episode We Happy Few.
- The Astral Projection Spell was previously used in the Season 11 episode Hell's Angel.
- Castiel mentions Naomi's control of him, which took place in Goodbye Stranger.
- Sam sees Billie as Death for the first time, after learning of it in Advanced Thanatology.
- Naomi is revealed to have survived Metatron's attack in Sacrifice. She had a few reliable angels spread the news of her death while she spent years "putting my thoughts back in my skull." According to Naomi, even after nearly five years to heal, she is still only "mostly here" and has only returned due to the dire situation the angels are in.
- Rowena recalls her meeting with Billie in Alpha and Omega.
- This episode was watched by 1.38 million viewers and got a 0.5 rating. This is the third least watched episode of the season.
- It is revealed in this episode that in every possible version of Rowena's ultimate death, Sam is the one who kills her.
- As of this episode, there are only less than a dozen angels left alive. According to Naomi, at the time of her conversation with Castiel, there were only nine angels left in Heaven, herself and Castiel included and one or two on Earth "and that's all."
- Castiel learns that if the situation doesn't change soon, the remaining angels will burn out and Heaven will crumble, releasing all of the billions upon billions of souls onto the Earth as ghosts.
- Upon seeing Naomi, Castiel has flashbacks to Naomi going after him with her drill in Torn and Frayed and Naomi's "corpse" in Sacrifice.
- This episode marks Jessica's second appearance on the series, making her the third most-recurring reaper with Tessa and Billie (before she was reincarnated as Death) being the first two.
|“||Sometimes life is unfair, and sometimes we lose things, and sometimes we make mistakes. And some of these things can never be fixed, no matter how powerful you become, some things just are. And everyone has to live with that.||”|
|“||Everything ends, Castiel.||”|
- Naomi's revelation that Heaven is powered by the presence of angels contradicts events in season 9. After the Fall, only Metatron was left in Heaven, and although he still had his wings, he was just a regular angel, yet Heaven didn't collapse.
- When Rowena tears open Sam's shirt, his anti-possession tattoo is shown and the patch of the fake tattoo used for filming is apparent.
Behind the Scenes