|“||I don't know what everybody's getting so worked up about! 'Cause it's just a couple of angels having a slap fight! There's no Armageddon. Everybody knows, when the world comes to an end, the Great Serpent Jörmungandr rises up, and I myself will be eaten by a big wolf! [laughs]||”|
Under his alternate name of Fenris, Fenrir was worshipped by a werewolf cult known as the Maw of Fenris that believed he would bring about werewolf domination of the world when Ragnarok occurred. In 2014, remnants of this cult were encountered by hunters Sam and Dean Winchester who killed all of the active members.
In 2010, following his escape from Lucifer at the Elysian Fields Hotel, the archangel Gabriel approached Fenrir's father Loki for help in hiding. Loki, Fenrir, Narfi and Sleipnir took Gabriel in, but the four betrayed him on Loki's orders in revenge for the death of Odin. While Gabriel was sleeping, Fenrir and his brothers ambushed Gabriel, bound him and sold Gabriel to the Prince of Hell Asmodeus.
In 2018, having escaped Asmodeus, Gabriel tracked down Loki and his family in Central City, Colorado for revenge. Gabriel confronted Fenrir outside of a liquor store, armed with a wooden sword specifically crafted to kill Fenrir due to Gabriel's depleted grace. In the fight that followed, Gabriel managed to impale Fenrir through the heart with his sword, killing him. However, Fenrir succeeded in clawing open Gabriel's side.
Due to his brief appearance in the series not much is known about Fenrir's personality. But looking at the flashback of Gabriel's story, it can be seen that he is fair to play cards, as well as what his brother Sleipnir says once Fenrir has died, or it can be presumed that he likes alcohol very much. It is also remarkable that Fenrir does not fear death, since if he knew that Lucifer had killed at least a dozen pagan gods he would also know that as the archangel, Gabriel will murdered him easily, despite this, he faced him without fear, even made a comment that he should apologize. It is seen that he is very faithful to his father Loki. It can also be assumed from the comment he made before confronting Gabriel that, despite being destined to devour him, he always loved his grandfather Odin.
Powers and Abilities
As a wolf deity, Fenrir possessed characteristics similar to those of werewolves, however to a much greater extent, as well as all the common characteristics of deities.
- Astral Projection - Fenrir revealed his true face, appearing as a wolf's face in an astral form before he attacked Gabriel.
- Immortality - As a pagan god, Fenrir is immortal, and is immune to aging and disease, and has been around for thousands of years.
- Invulnerability - Fenrir cannot be killed by conventional means.
- Super Strength - Fenrir was able to hold his own and fight Gabriel for a short amount of time, and claw open his sides, though Gabriel was low on grace at the time.
- Shapeshifting - Similar to a werewolf, he could morph into a combination of wolf and human.
- Claws and Fangs - Fenrir possessed werewolf-like claws and fangs. His claws were strong enough to badly hurt a severely weakened Archangel, enough to cause him to bleed rather heavily. Odin believed Fenrir would eat him during the end of days in Asgard.
- Magic - Fenrir was able to capture Gabriel using a spell.
- Archangels - At full power, an archangel such as Gabriel is easily capable of killing him. Even while weakened, Gabriel still proved able to (eventually) overpower him.
- One of Gabriel's Swords - The wooden sword Gabriel crafted specifically for Fenrir could kill him when stabbed through his heart.
Fenris, also called Fenrir, is a wolf who is the son of Loki and the giantess Angrboda. The deities learned of a prophecy which stated that the wolf and his family would one day be responsible for the destruction of the world. They caught the wolf and locked him in a cage. Only the god of war, Tyr, dared to feed and take care of the wolf. On the day of Ragnarok, Fenrir will break his chains and join the giants in their battle against the deities. He will seek out Odin and devour him. Vidar, Odin's son, will avenge his father by killing the wolf.
- Season 2
- Crossroad Blues (mentioned only)
- Season 5
- Hammer of the Gods (referenced only)
- Season 9
- Sharp Teeth (mentioned only)
- Season 13
- Members of the Maw of Fenris awaited the day that Fenrir would devour Odin, though Odin had been killed by Lucifer during The Apocalypse and Fenrir was later killed by Gabriel.
- Fenrir was first on Gabriel's death list.
- Fenrir was described by Gabriel as more of a 'god-begotten monster' than an actual Norse deity (i.e. a God-Monster hybrid).
- All though being referenced twice in past seasons, he didn't make his first proper appearance until season 13.
- Sandy Robson also portrayed Red in the Season 6 episode The Man Who Would Be King