Exodus is the 22nd episode of Season 13. It aired on May 10, 2018.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
Bobby tells the boys that everyone, himself included have decided to evacuate with them to Earth. Though relieved, they wonder how to move out before Dean spots an old bus and asks Bobby about it. Spending the next few hours, they repair the vehicle to get it moving and are successful. Dean has Lucifer drive while Gabriel is confused by this choice but Dean says Cass is watching him. Sam helps everyone load up before he notices Jack walking off and asks Jack where he is going Jack wanted to kill Michael before he left as Sam tries to talk him out of it but to no avail. Lucifer notices this and goes to talk with his son him out of it and Jack is swayed when Lucifer intervenes since his plan was dangerous and he conceded.
Using the bus and land vehicle, the group arrive at the rift which they see is closing and become worried. On the other side, Rowena finds the spell in prolonging it and is able to keep it open for the group.
The Winchesters see this and order everyone to form a single file before they cross over. Arthur jumps through first and shares a glance with Rowena who is not too fazed to see him as more survivors cross over, including Mary, Bobby, Jack, and Castiel. Charlie shares a friendly banter with Sam and Dean as she crosses over. Lucifer tries to go next but Sam stops him as he is needed to remain with Gabriel in case something happens.
After most everyone is through the rift, Michael suddenly flies in in the form of an angelic comet, his explosive landing killing Andy and two other hunters. Walking away from the scene, Michael greets his surprised foes who are at a loss of words at finally seeing him in person. Lucifer confronts Michael who taunts him over his previous defeat and the latter hits him with an energy blast, knocking Michael back slightly, but otherwise leaving him unharmed. Michael returns fire with two energy blasts of his own, knocking Lucifer to the ground and severely weakening him. This display leaves the spectators in shock as Michael walks past the fallen Lucifer.
Turning his attention to the rift, Michael stops after being surprised to recognize Gabriel. Gabriel orders the Winchesters, the last ones left, to go while he buys them some time. Despite their objections, Gabriel chooses to fight instead of running as he has always done in the past. Both Gabriel and Michael draw archangel blades and engage in hand-to-hand combat. Though Gabriel lands a few hits on Michael, he proves to be no match for the stronger archangel. Michael quickly overpowers Gabriel and stabs him in the abdomen with his archangel blade, killing Gabriel to Sam and Dean's horror.
At Sam's urging, Dean quickly heads through the rift before Sam goes through, he realizes that the weakened Lucifer is trying to follow him and physically restrains him with Lucifer too weak to shake off Sam's hold. Though Lucifer begs Sam to let him go as he's wounded, Sam asks how Lucifer thought it would end and shoves the weakened archangel to the ground.
Michael turns his attention to Sam, who enters the rift. With the Winchesters having crossed over, Rowena is able to stop her prolonging spell. Michael races to the rift, but the rift closes before he can reach it, trapping Lucifer and Michael in Apocalypse World.
With the refugees having reached safety in the Main Universe, they celebrate their newfound safety and freedom. Sam thanks Rowena for her actions while stating he owes her as she has she will collect very soon as they share a drink. Sam and Dean then inform Castiel of his brother's sacrifice though assure him that Gabriel practically saved them from certain death. Castiel inquires about Lucifer as Dean states Sam handled it. Bobby announces a toast to Sam and Dean before he vows that someday they will return to their world and free everyone that is left. As this happens, Jack is sulking about his father.
Meanwhile in Apocalypse World, Gabriel's dead vessel is seen on the ground as Michael and Lucifer are conversing. Michael is skeptical of Lucifer's trustworthiness but the latter told Michael of the ingredients for the ritual and they can cross over together. Michael asked what Lucifer wanted, the latter wanted his son while Michael states he gets everything else and questioned if they had a deal while Lucifer is seen with a look of regret on his face.
- Jared Padalecki as Sam Winchester
- Jensen Ackles as Dean Winchester
- Mark Pellegrino as Lucifer
- Misha Collins as Castiel and Alternate Castiel
- Alexander Calvert as Jack Kline
Special Guest Stars
- Samantha Smith as Mary Winchester
- Richard Speight Jr. as Gabriel
- Ruth Connell as Rowena MacLeod
- Felicia Day as Alternate Charlie Bradbury
- David Haydn-Jones as Arthur Ketch
- Christian Keyes as Alternate Michael
- Katherine Evans as Maggie
- Alexander Cendese as Angel Commander
- Jeffrey Joseph as Andy
- James Lafazanos as Resistance Traitor
- Patrick Carlos as Fake Prisoner
Featured Supernatural Beings
- Angels (Road Attackers, Arthur and Charlie's Captors, Alternate Castiel)
- Archangels (Lucifer, Gabriel, Alternate Michael; Michael, mentioned only)
- Ghoul (Dave Mather, flashback only)
- Nephilim (Jack Kline)
- Primordial Entity (God, mentioned only)
- Prince of Hell (Asmodeus, mentioned only)
- Seraph (Castiel)
- Witch (Rowena MacLeod)
- Arthur Ketch and Alternate Charlie Bradbury previously appeared in Bring 'em Back Alive.
- Alternate Bobby Singer and Alternate Michael previously appeared in Good Intentions.
- A version of Jimmy Novak previously appeared in the Season 10 episode Angel Heart.
- Arthur Ketch was previously on Earth in The Thing.
- Jack was previously on Earth in The Bad Place.
- Mary Winchester was previously on Earth in the Season 12 episode All Along the Watchtower.
- An Angel's Wings were previously featured in Unfinished Business.
- Angel-killing bullets were previously featured in Bring 'em Back Alive.
- Rufus previously appeared in Good Intentions.
- Jack mentions Michael torturing him in Good Intentions.
- Lucifer mentions Michael torturing him in War of the Worlds.
- Michael mentions defeating Lucifer in The Rising Son.
- The episode was watched by 1.30 million viewers and got a 0.4 rating. This is the second least watched episode of the season with War of the Worlds being the lowest.
- The episode was originally titled Apocalypse Now but was later changed for unknown reasons.
- The title refers to the exodus of the resistance to the Main Universe.
- This episode marks the first time since Season 7 where Jim Beaver appears in multiple episodes.
- This is the third episode of the season to feature all the main characters with Lost & Found and Beat the Devil being the first two.
- This is the first episode to feature three Archangels, albeit with two from the main reality and one from the Apocalypse World.
- This is the sixth time a character faces another version of their character in the same scene with Dream A Little Dream Of Me in Season 3, The End in Season 5, The Man Who Knew Too Much in Season 6, The Big Empty and Unfinished Business being the first five.
- This episode marks the first time Sam, Dean and Gabriel meet Alternate Michael.
- This is the first episode to feature multiple Archangel Blades.
- This is the first episode where Mary Winchester kills an angel.
- This is the second episode to have a character kill their counterpart from another universe with Wayward Sisters being the first one when Alternate Kaia killed Kaia Nieves.
- This is the second episode where Castiel meets another version of himself with The Big Empty being the first one when he met the Cosmic Entity.
- This is the first episode since the Season 10 episode Dark Dynasty to feature a version of Charlie Bradbury in the Main Universe.
- This is the first episode since the Season 11 episode Safe House to feature a version of Bobby Singer in the Main Universe.
- This is the second episode where Sam kills an angel with Lost & Found being the first one.
- Alternate Kevin Tran's revelation in Unfinished Business that he has perfected the Alternate Reality Rift Opening Ritual from the Angel Tablet for Michael is revealed to have apparently been a hoax and part of the trap Michael used Kevin to lay for Jack as Michael is shown to still lack a way to open a rift before Lucifer provides him with the ritual from the Demon Tablet.
- Alternate Bobby is revealed to have his own Singer Salvage Yard. However, unlike the Main Universe Bobby Singer, his is not located in Sioux Falls which this Bobby feels is too cold to live in.
- Alternate Castiel is the first counterpart of a recurring angel to use the same vessel as their Main Universe counterpart.
- The majority of the fight with the angels who captured Arthur and Charlie, including the death of the alternate Castiel, takes place at a Gas-n-Sip. Castiel briefly worked at one when he was human in Season 9's Heaven Can't Wait.
- Arthur Ketch goes "its about bloody time" while discussing Dean rescuing him. This is a reference to the fact that Arthur rescued the Winchesters in War of the Worlds and Devil's Bargain but the Winchesters have never returned the favor for him previous to this episode.
- This is the first time Sam has met a version of Charlie Bradbury since her death in Season 10's Dark Dynasty. After rescuing Charlie, Sam hugs her to Charlie's confusion.
Behind the Scenes