Exile on Main Street is the season premiere of Season 6. It aired on September 24th, 2010.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
It's a year later and Dean has given up hunting and is living with Lisa (guest star Cindy Sampson) and her son Ben (guest star Nicholas Elia). Mysteriously freed from his cage in hell, Sam finds Dean and tells him he needs to rejoin the fight and introduces Dean to a world-a family-he never even knew existed: the Campbells, his mother's family, lead by none other than their Grandfather Samuel (Pileggi).
The episode begins with Dean having a nightmare about the events that changed his life forever. He wakes up lying in bed with Lisa Braeden and goes about his normal day. Dean has a day job, hangs out with his friends and seems to have a perfect life. One night, as he leaves a bar after having a drink with his friend Sid, he hears a woman scream. Dean whips out a gun and goes into the building from where the scream came from and finds scratches and blood on the walls. He returns home and searches the police records for a missing persons report but finds nothing.
The next morning, as he travels towards work, he finds similar scratch marks around a house. Dean investigates further and finds sulfur near the doors. His hunter instincts kick in and he quickly makes his way back to his garage where his old car and hunting gear are safely stored. Instructing Lisa to take Ben to the movies and to stay out of the house, he goes through all his old gear. Dean notices that the lights were flickering and immediately picks up a shotgun. Looking around the room, he doesn't find anything. Suddenly, Azazel shows up and Dean shoots him, but it has no effect. Azazel pins Dean against his car and tries to kill him until, out of nowhere, Sam shows up and stabs Dean in the chest with a syringe with white fluid inside. Dean passes out and wakes up to find Sam looking over him. Sam tells Dean that he got pulled out of Hell and he has been trying to figure out who did it. He reveals to Dean that he has been out of Hell for nearly a year and he did not come to Dean because he knew that Dean would leave the life that he had built. Dean gets extremely upset with Sam and does not agree with Sam's logic. Sam tells Dean that he had been poisoned and that it was not Azazel that he had seen but merely a hallucination. Sam tells Dean that he's been hunting with their mom's family, the Campbells. Sam introduces Gwen, Christian and Mark Campbell to Dean as his third cousins and a distant relative. Samuel Campbell appears and tells Dean that he was the one who brought the family together and that he was pulled out of Heaven.Sam and Samuel tell Dean that djinn were hunting them to take revenge for their fallen brethren. Dean and Sam hurry towards his home where he believes Lisa and Ben are in danger to find that the hunter watching over the house has been killed. Dean and Sam look over the house and find nothing. Then Lisa and Ben come through the door and Dean hurries them to pack their bags. Dean takes them to Bobby's place where he finds that Bobby knew that Sam was back. Dean tries to tell both of them how horrible his life has been for the past year knowing that his brother was trapped in a box in hell. Both Bobby and Sam tell Dean that his life is as good as a hunters life can be. Dean tells Lisa that he has to leave them because he thinks that their life together wasn't good. But Lisa tells Dean that the past one year has been the happiest in her life and that all she ever wanted was a good role model for her son, Ben.
Sam, Dean, Samuel, Gwen, Christian and Mark plan to bait the djinn with Sam and Dean and they return to Lisa's house. Samuel tells Dean that the Campbells have been hunting even during the times of the Mayflower and that hunting is in Dean's blood. Mark informs them that three djinn were on the trees waiting for the brothers to be alone. Sam and Dean stay behind while the other hunters leave. They instruct Sam and Dean to call them as soon as the djinn show up. Dean notices that his neighbors are choking and immediately rushes towards them with the antidote to the poison that Samuel created. He finds both Sid and his wife dead. Suddenly, a male djinn grabs and holds him while a female djinn, the waitress from the bar, comes and passes poison into his system. Meanwhile, Sam is attacked by the third djinn whom he kills with Dean's golf club. Sam is then attacked by the other two djinn while Dean hallucinates Azazel killing Lisa. Sam is nearly overpowered when Samuel comes in and stabs the male djinn. Samuel asks Sam to go find Dean while he faces the female Brigitta. While they stare each other down, Christian Campbell comes and places a bag over the djinn and ties her up. Samuel instructs him to carry her over to the van before Sam and Dean come back.
The next day, Dean tells Sam that he's going back to Lisa and Ben and that he's changed his mind. Sam advises Dean to rethink as he thinks that Dean will only put them in danger. Dean replies by saying that he's already done that and he can't leave them alone unprotected. Sam says that he could really use Dean's help because of how Dean rushed out to help Sid and his wife while he himself wouldn't have done that. Sam tells Dean that he cares a lot about people unlike himself. Dean offers Sam his car but Sam refuses the offer because he's got his own car now. Sam drives off and Dean waves a goodbye not knowing what to say.
- Jim Beaver as Bobby Singer
- Cindy Sampson as Lisa Braeden
- Mitch Pileggi as Samuel Campbell
- Fredric Lehne as Azazel
- Nicholas Elia as Ben Braeden
- Corin Nemec as Christian Campbell
- Jessica Heafey as Gwen Campbell
- David Paetkau as Mark Campbell
- Russell Porter as Sid
- Laura Mennell as Brigitta
- Brendon Zub as Johnny Campbell and Male Djinn
- Lisa Sanson as Sid's wife
Featured Supernatural Beings
- Djinn (Brigitta, Brigitta's Brothers)
- Primordial Entity (God, referenced only)
- Prince of Hell (Azazel, hallucination)
- This episode begins a year after "Swan Song".
- Samuel Campbell was last seen in "In The Beginning".
- When reuniting with Sam, Dean wondered if Castiel was behind it but didn't get an answer, he was proven right later in "The Man Who Would Be King".
- Dean is still living with Lisa since the end of The Apocalypse.
- Antagonist: Brigitta
- The title of this episode references the Rolling Stones album of the same name.
- This is the first episode to air when Eric Kripke isn't showrunner. The new showrunner is Sera Gamble.
- Fredric Lehne returns to portray Azazel in this opening episode. Mitch Pileggi, the actor that portrays Samuel Campbell is back in this season.
- Azazel returned as a hallucination of Dean's nightmare after being overdosed by a Djinn's poison.
- It appears as not all of the Campbell family are not dead and some were all hidden for a reason.
- 3rd season premiere to feature Azazel, and the second such occurrence where he's portrayed by Fredric Lehne.
- Dean isn't wearing his signature Leather Jacket in this episode. In September 2010, new promo shots were being done for the upcoming Season 6. The shoot was in L.A. and the wardrobe was flown down from Vancouver a few days before, and was stolen somewhere along the way. Items taken included one of Castiel's trench coats and Dean's Leather Jacket. Although the wardrobe had replacements for Castiel's trench coat, Dean's Leather Jacket was sadly one of a kind.
- This was the second episode filmed, following "Weekend at Bobby's", which aired fourth.
- When Sam introduces Dean to the Campbells he tells him Christian and Gwen are their third cousins and Mark is their "something, something twice removed".
- "Beautiful Loser" by Bob Seger
- Dean: You've been back practically this whole time?! What, did you lose the ability to send a friggin' text message?!
- Sam: You finally had what you wanted, Dean.
- Dean: I wanted my brother, alive!
- Sam: You wanted a family. You have for a long time, maybe the whole time. I know you. You only gave it up because of the way we lived. But you had something, and you were building something. Had I shown up, Dean, you would have just run off. I'm sorry. But it felt like after everything, you deserve some regular life.
- Sam: I was expecting, I don't know, a hug? Some holy water in the face? Something.
- Dean: That woman and that kid—I went to them because you asked me to.
- Sam: Good.
- Dean: Good for who? I showed up on their doorstep half out of my head with grief. God knows why they even let me in. I drank too much. I had nightmares. I looked everywhere. I collected hundreds of books, trying to find anything to bust you out.
- Lisa: Yeah, well, the guy that basically just saved the world shows up at your door, you expect him to have a couple of issues. And you're always so amazing with Ben. You know what I wanted, more than anything was a guy that Ben could look up to like a dad. So, you're saying it's all bad, Dean? 'Cause it was the best year of my life.
- German: Normalität als Exil (Normality as Exile)
- French: L'Adieu Aux Armes (The Farewell To Weapons)
- Hungarian: A számkivetett (The exiled one)