Ephraim was an angel hailing from a special class, Rit Zien. He fell to the earth from heaven due to a spell cast by Metatron. Upon arrival, he took the vessel of a man who had recently become very religious. While on earth, he continued his work as a medical angel--healing the sick and, more importantly, bringing swift and virtually painless death to the gravely injured or emotionally despondent by smiting them. His first victim was his vessel's wife. He came across Castiel, who Ephraim wanted to help by ending his pain once and for all. With the help of Dean, Castiel killed him with an Angel Blade when he tried.
Ephraim met Castiel many years ago. Ephraim envied Castiel's fame and power.
He makes his first appearance in Heaven Can't Wait.
Powers & Abilities
Ephraim possessed the standard powers of an angel.
- Angelic Possession - As an angel, Ephraim required a human vessel to take on corporeal form. He needed the vessel's permission to possess him.
- Super Strength - As an angel, Ephraim dramatically increased his vessel's strength to the point where he could easily overpower the vessels of lesser black-eyed demons. He single-handedly overwhelmed a graceless Castiel, nearly breaking the latter's arm.
- Telekinesis - He could move objects without touching them. He sent Dean against of wall with only a wave of his hand.
- Unique Smiting Touch - As an angel of mercy, Ephraim possessed a special form of angelic vanquishing that manifested as a bright pink glow from his hand and which caused the target to explode instantaneously at the molecular level, leaving only a pink liquid substance composed of the remains of the target in the vicinity.
- Pain Detection - As a rit zien, Ephraim could home in on pain and suffering.
- Healing - As one of the healing class of angels, Ephraim possessed the power to heal both angels and humans.
He possessed the standard weaknesses of an angel.
- Angel Banishing Sigil - An angel banishing sigil could banish him as it could any angel.
- Angel Blade - He was slain by an angel blade.