Ephraim was an angel hailing from a special class, rit zien. He fell to the earth from heaven due to the spell cast by Metatron. Upon arrival, he took the vessel of a man who had recently become very religious. While on earth, he continued his work as a medical angel--healing the sick and, more importantly, bringing swift and virtually painless death to the gravely injured or emotionally despondent by smiting them. His first victim was his vessel's wife. He came across Castiel, who Ephraim wanted to help by ending his pain once and for all. With the help of Dean, Castiel killed him with an Angel Blade when he tried.
Ephraim met Castiel several years ago. Ephraim envied Castiel's fame and power, he admitted he knew Castiel failed more often than he succeeded but he always went big.
He makes his first appearance in Heaven Can't Wait. He took possession of a man who had become deeply religious, so much so that he drove his wife away. Blinded by religious fervor and a desire to serve God, the man let Ephraim into his body. Ephraim began a killing spree, using his abilities of pain-detection to track down the gravely injured or emotionally despondent and using his healing abilities to heal them or his special smiting abilities to give them a quick and virtually painless death, ending their misery. He was killed by Castiel.
Powers & Abilities
Ephraim possessed the standard powers of an angel.
- Angelic Possession - Ephraim possessed the body of a devout Christian who immediately let the fallen angel possess him.
- Super Strength - He single-handedly overwhelmed a graceless Castiel, nearly breaking the latter's arm.
- Telekinesis - He sent Dean against of wall with only a wave of his hand.
- Unique Smiting - As an angel of mercy, Ephraim possessed a special form of angelic vanquishing that manifested as a bright pink glow from his hand and which caused the target to explode instantaneously at the molecular level, leaving only a pink liquid substance composed of the remains of the target in the vicinity.
- Pain Detection - As a rit zien, Ephraim could home in on pain and suffering.
- Healing - As one of the healing class of angels, Ephraim possessed the power to heal both angels and humans.
- Telepathy - He could listen in on "angel radio".
He possessed the standard weaknesses of an angel.
- Angel Banishing Sigil - An angel banishing sigil could banish him as it could any angel.
- Angel Blade - He was slain by an angel blade.
- Metatron's Spell - Metatron's spell cast Ephraim to earth.