|“||Boo-hoo, cry me a river, you nancy. Tell, are all hunters as soft as you in the future? Everybody loses everybody. And then one day, boom, your number's up. But at least you're making a difference. So enjoy it while it lasts, kid. 'Cause hunting's the only clarity you're gonna find in this life. And that makes you luckier than most.||”|
— Eliot to Dean Winchester
in Time After Time
Eliot Ness was a hunter who worked as an investigator from the 1940s.
Years later he ran into a hunter from the future, Dean Winchester. Eliot walked into the interrogation room Dean was being held in and began questioning him. Once Dean figured out that Eliot is a hunter, the two began working together to hunt down Chronos who Eliot had been investagating. He takes Lila Taylor hostage and when Dean starts to disappear with Chronos through time, tosses him the stake that will kill the god.
- He's one of only eight characters to be based on real people, the others being Samuel Colt, H.P. Lovecraft, Kate Fox, Margaret Fox, Robert Johnson, Henry H. Holmes and Adolf Hitler, Mary Shelley.
- Eliot Ness was a real law enforcement officer who joined the U.S. Treasury Department in 1927, working with the Bureau of Prohibition, in Chicago. He was involved in targeting gangster Al Capone. His refusal to accept a bribe led to Ness's team becoming known as "The Untouchables." Brian De Palma's 1987 film The Untouchables starring Kevin Costner, Robert De Niro and Sean Connery, which was based on Eliot Ness' memoir of the same name.
- Dean makes several references to The Untouchables while working with Ness, but Ness just shows confusion anytime Dean imitates a scene or a line from the movie.
- In the episode, Ness reveals that a big part of the reason he went after Al Capone was all the good liquor Capone made which Ness enjoys.
- When Ness tosses Dean the stake, he calls Dean "Untouchable."
- In Scoobynatural, the Winchesters and Castiel use Ness's method of bringing down Al Capone for tax evasion to take down a shady real estate named Jay leading Dean to comment "good enough for Capone, good enough for you."
- ↑ Time After Time After Time