|“||A Daeva. It translates to "demon of darkness" -- Zoroastrian demons, and they're savage, animalistic, nasty attitudes -- kinda like demonic pit bulls. These daevas, they have to be summoned. Conjured. These suckers tend to bite the hand that feeds them... and the arm and the torsos.||”|
A Daeva is an ancient demonic creature of shadow, a special type of demon, that can be summoned by other demons. Similar to hellhounds and unlike most demons, these demons do not need a host to attack humans.
Little is known about this type of demon. Like hellhounds, daevas are beings used by demons as invisible killers. While they are invisible, daevas appear as humanoid shadows. They are known to turn on those who controlled them once that control is lost. Meg summons the daevas using a black altar. Caleb tells Dean Winchester that the Zoroastrian symbol, shaped like a Z with a circle in the middle, is a sigil for a daeva and is ancient magic, possibly ranging from two thousand years before Jesus Christ.
Meg has some control over the daevas, but when her black altar is destroyed, the daevas seem to turn on her and pull her through a window, causing her to fall several stories. However, this was likely all an act, as Meg revealed a pendant with the daeva sigil that allowed her to control them a very short time later. After her apparent defeat lured John Winchester out of hiding, she used the daevas to maul all three Winchesters until Sam Winchester repels them using a flare gun, as "shadow demons" cannot manifest in a room filled with light.
Power and AbilitiesEditDaevas are a powerful and unique type of demon that functions differently from most other demons. They do not need a vessel to walk the earthly plane, As from that, That can make them quite dangerous.
- Invisibility - They are naturally invisible, and only their shadows can be seen, which they require to manifest.
- Teleportation - They seem to be able to move from place to place like regular demons and can be summoned to appear and certain locations through a ritualistic altar and amulet.
- Claws - Used to rip and tear through flesh.
- Super Strength - Much stronger than any man, they are also stronger than higher black eyed demons.
- Flight - It is possible they can fly as they only need light to roam freely.
Being a unique demon, their vulnerability was also unique.