Clap Your Hands If You Believe is the 9th episode of Season 6. It aired on November 19th, 2010.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
While Sam and Dean are investigating a UFO sighting, Dean is abducted from a crop circle. However, when he awakens, he discovers he isn't dealing with aliens, but fairies! Unfortunately, only Dean can see the fairy that keeps attacking him which makes tracing and stopping them difficult. The brothers become even more perplexed when Sam's investigation leads them to a world full of elves, gnomes and a leprechaun.
Dean and Sam go to Elwood, Indiana to investigate the disappearances of four people. Due to reports of crop circles and bright lights in the sky, rumors have spread that the disappearances are the work of aliens. Dean and Sam go to visit a watchmaker, Mr. Brennan, who is the father of the first abductee, Patrick Brennan. He acts strange, so Sam stays in the city to watch him while Dean goes out to the cornfield that Patrick disappeared from.
While in the field, Dean gets a call from Sam. Sam tells him that he hasn't seen Mr. Brennan do anything suspicious just as Dean sees a bright light in the sky. Dean, still on the phone, starts running through the corn and screaming about UFOs and close encounters, but he is unable to escape and disappears in a flash of light. Sam goes to investigate the scene of Patrick, and now Dean's, disappearance and finds only Dean's cell phone on the ground. His next stop is the UFO follower camp—a collective of RVs and trailers covered in alien paraphernalia that has Wayne Whittaker, a famous UFO chaser, at its center. Sam goes up to Wayne and asks him how to hunt the aliens, but is disgusted when all Wayne can give him are pages and pages of useless interviews with people who have had close encounters. He tells Wayne that he sucks at hunting UFOs and leaves with a young woman, Sparrow Jennings, who seems interested in him and the story of his brother's disappearance.
Hours later, Dean reappears in the field in a flash of light, knife and gun brandished. He heads back to their motel and finds Sam and Sparrow in bed together. Dean thinks he's only been gone an hour and is upset that Sam was having sex instead of out looking for him, but Sam tells him that it's 4am and that Dean has been gone all night. After his abduction, they seem convinced that aliens are at the center of Elwood's disappearances. Sam researches them at the library while Dean stays at the motel and checks sources online. Dean's alone when the door to the motel bursts open and a "little, glowing, hot, naked lady" flies in and starts hitting him. He traps her in the microwave and cooks her, but when he tries to show Sam her remains, Sam can't see them. Sam puts together the clues and determines that all of the recent UFO encounters were actually the cause of Fairies.
Dean and Sam go to visit Marion, a woman they interviewed earlier who had said that fairies were behind the disappearances. She tells them all about fairies, including that they like cream and that they must count every grain of salt or sugar that is spilled in front of them. After they leave, they see Mr. Brennan loading boxes of cream into his car. Dean breaks into his shop and sees elves working on watches for him. He tells Sam, who confronts Mr. Brennan and learns that the man summoned a Leprechaun and tried to make a deal with him to save his watchmaking business. Unfortunately, the consequences were the kidnapping of his and then other firstborn sons in the city. Sam resolves to help Mr. Brennan reverse the ritual he used to summon the leprechaun.
Meanwhile, Dean is being stalked by a fairy, a Red Cap in particular, and he mistakenly tackles a little person and is arrested for a hate crime. He is in jail when Sam and Mr. Brennan go to the shop to get what they need to banish the fairies. Mr. Brennan starts to read the ritual, but is killed by Wayne Whittaker, who is actually the leprechaun that Mr. Brennan made his deal with. The leprechaun then tries to make a deal with Sam to give him his soul back, but Sam refuses. They fight until Sam spills salt in front of him, and he is forced to start counting the grains. Sam then reads the ritual and all of the fairies are banished back to their realm. Dean, who was being beaten by the Red Cap in his jail cell, is saved in time and is released from jail the next morning. The little person, who was also the district attorney for Tipton county, dropped the charges against him.
- Robert Picardo as Wayne Whittaker
- Linden Banks as Mr. Brennan
- Devon Weigel as Sparrow Jennings
- Trish Allen as Marion
Featured Supernatural Beings
- Aliens (mentioned only)
- Angels (mentioned only)
- Archangels (Lucifer, mentioned only)
- Boggarts (mentioned only)
- Brownies (mentioned only)
- Demons (mentioned only)
- Ghosts (mentioned only)
- Gnomes (mentioned only)
- Goblins (mentioned only)
- Hobbits (mentioned only)
- Leprechauns (Wayne Whittaker)
- Skinwalkers (mentioned only)
- Smurfs (mentioned only)
- Spriggans (mentioned only)
- Sprites (mentioned only)
- Tinks (Unnamed Tink)
- Trolls (mentioned only)
- The opening titles is a play on the X-Files opening credits. In the X-Files the credits say "The Truth Is Out There" but Supernatural changed that to "The Truth Is In There."
- The title of this episode comes from the play Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie, during which the audience is told to "Clap your hands if you believe in fairies" in order to revive the dead Tinkerbell.
- Most of the episode deals with fairies as a play on Peter Pan. However, Sam and Dean make quite a few references to Pinocchio.
- At a convention Jared had said that he felt it strange Sam had the salt all along and didn't think to use it, so after pouring the salt he ad-libbed the line, "Why didn't I do that before?"
- Misha Collins is shown in the opening credits but is neither seen nor mentioned at all in the episode.
- In the opening credits you see a scene where Sam and Dean are seen putting on sunglasses. This is a parody of the show CSI: Miami. The scene was from Season 5 Episode 08 - Changing Channels.
- "Space Oddity" by David Bowie
- Marion: "Of course it's not UFOs. It's fairies."
- Dean: "Fairies?"
- Dean: "Okay. Uh, well, thank you for your input."
- Sam: [to Marion] "What? Flying saucers not insane enough for ya?"
- Marion: "What newspaper did you say you work for?"
- Sam: "Okay, if you wanna add glitter to that glue you're sniffing, that's fine, but don't dump your whack-a-doo all over us. We'd rather not step in it."
- Dean: [grabbing Sam by the arm] "Okay, we we're done—"
- Sam: [still to Marion] "The only thing you're missing is a couple dozen cats, sister."
- Dean: [now yanking Sam away; to Marion] "Yeah, it's a blood-sugar thing—my apologies..."
- Sam: "What?""
- Dean: "What?" You gotta ask?"
[Sam just motions his hand to say yes.]
- Dean: Right, yes you do have to ask."
- Dean: "Sam, by the way, it's not the lady's fault she took the brown acid."
- Sam: "Yeah? So?"
- Dean: "Empathy, man. Empathy."
- Dean: [on the phone with Sam] "UFO! UFO!!"
- Sam: "Whoa, dude, stop yelling. You're breaking up. I didn't catch that last part."
- Dean: [running through the cornfield trying to escape the white light] "Close encounter! Close encounter!"
- Sam: "Close encounter? What kind? First? Second?"
- Dean: "They're after me!"
- Sam: "Third kind, already! You better run, man. I think the fourth kind's a butt thing."
- Dean: "Empathy, Sam. Empathy!"
- Sam: [looks over papers; displeased] "This is it?"
- Whittaker: "Well, I'd say that 30 years of eyewitness accounts speak for themselves as incontrovertible proof."
- Sam: "Yeah, right. My brother was abducted, so I'm pretty good on the whole proof part."
- Sparrow: "Your brother was abducted?"
- Sam: "Yeah."
- Sparrow: "Oh, my God!"
- Sam: "It's fine. I mean—I've had time to adjust."
- Sparrow: "Did it—did it happen when you were kids?
- Sam: "No, like, half an hour ago." [to Whittaker] "So, you've been hunting UFOs for over three decades and you basically have no concrete data and zero workable leads...?"
- Whittaker: "Well, I—"
- Sam: "Have you considered the possibility that you suck at hunting UFOs?" [walks away]
- Dean: "Our reality is collapsing all around us and you're trying to pick up our waitress?"
- Sam: "Yeah. Okay, look. That brings up a question. So, say you got a soul and you're on a case, and your brother gets abducted by aliens—"
- Dean: "You do everything to get him back."
- Sam: "Right, you do, but, what about when there are no more leads for the night? I mean, are you supposed to just sit there in the dark and suffer, even when there's nothing that can be done?"
- Dean: "Yes!"
- Sam: "What?"
- Dean: "Yes. You sit in the dark and you feel the loss."
- Sam: "Absolutely. But couldn't I just do all that and have sex with the hippie chick?"
- Dean: "No!"
- Sam: "It would be in the dark."
- Sam: [over phone] "Library's closing up soon. I'm almost done."
- Dean: "You find anything?"
- Sam: "Yeah, way too much. Everyone on the planet believes in UFOs, and they will not stop writing books about it."
- Dean: [reading a blog] "Yeah, well at least books have punctuation."
- Dean: "...Nipples?"
- Dean: [after fairy explodes in microwave] "Ha, ha!"
[cut to black]
- Microwave: "Ding!"
- Sam: [looking into empty microwave] "See what?"
- Dean: "'S-see what?' See the blood. [looks into microwave covered in exploded fairy guts] "See all the-the blech!"
- Sam: "Sorry, man. [looking into empty microwave] I'm not seeing it."
- Dean: "You don't see the ech?! It's right there!"
- Sam: "Okay, let's go with you see it and I don't. What the hell was it?"
- Dean: [stares into the gory microwave in disbelief, slams it] "It was a-- A little naked lady, okay?"
- Sam: "It was-- A what?"
- Dean: "It was a-- It was a little, glowing...hot...naked lady, with nipples and... and she hit me."
- Sam: [beat] "I'm not supposed to laugh, right?"
- Sam: "Hey, you're the one who pizza-rolled Tinker-Bell, I'm just doing the math."
- Dean: "Why are the fairies abducting people?"
- Marion: "Hmm. There is much theory and little fact. We know they only take first-born sons—just like Rumpelstiltskin did. Personally, I think they're taken to Avalon to service Oberon, king of the Faerie."
- Sam: [after dramatic pause] "Dean? Did...you...service Oberon, king of the fairies?"
[Dean glares at him]
- Dean: [standing to leave Marion's home] "Uh, thank you."
- Marion: "Oh, stay. Finish your tea."
- Dean: [nods awkwardly then picks up his cup to sip from it awkwardly, then, awkwardly about Marion's decor:] "I gotta say, I-I-I love the feel. It's uh, it's-it's—"
- Sam: [into his teacup] "It's like Sedona, Arizona crapped in here."
- Dean: "—'Pewter-rific,' is what it is."
- Sam: [after sipping his tea] "Do you have bigger cups?"
- Dean: God, is it on me? I feel like I've got the crazy on me."
- Sam: "No, you-- You did sit in some glitter, though."
- Dean: "Makes me wanna believe in UFOs again."
- Sam: "Did I ever mention how beautiful your work is?"
- Brennan: "...What?"
- Sam: "The watches. Just stunning. But what I can't figure out is how one man can put out that much product. I mean, hell! If I didn't know any better, I'd say you had a bunch of elves working for you...Except--" [grabs Brennan's arm] "--I do know better—and you have a bunch of elves working for you."
- Sam: "What do you want me to do? Fake it?"
- Dean: "Yes, absoutely. Fake it. Fake it till you make it."
- Sam: "What happened to you wanting me to be all honest?"
- Dean: Hey, you want to be a real boy Pinocchio, you gotta act the part."
- Sam: I was faking it Dean. Ever since we got back on the road together I-I was picking every frickin' word. It's exhausting."
- Dean: "Okay, all right. But until we get you back on the soul train, I'll be your conscience, okay?"
- Sam: "So you're saying you'll be my... Jiminy Cricket?"
- Dean: "Shut up. But yeah your freakin puppet. That's exactly what I'm saying."
- Sam: "What do you think?"
- Dean: "I think he's hiding something. Why don't you stay and watch watchmaker, see what happens when the sun goes down. I'll go check out the crop circles."
- Sam: "Okey dokey."
- Dean: "But do not engage with, maim, or in any way kill Brennan. In fact I don't want you making any judgement calls whatsoever. Anything happens, call me."
- Sam: "You know Jiminy, I was on my own for a whole year. I did fine without you."
- Dean: "Yeah. I don't want to know your definition of fine."
- Dean: [gets arrested] FIGHT THE FAIRIES! YOU FIGHT THOSE FAIRIES! FIGHT THE FAIRIES!
- Italian: Se ci credi, batti le mani! (If You Believe, Clap Your Hands!)
- German: Kleine grüne Männchen (Little Green Men)
- French: Rencontre Du 3e Type (Close Encounter Of The Third Kind)