|“||What human myth have mistaken for "cupid," is actually a lower order of angel. Technically it's a cherub, third-class [...] They're all over the world. There are dozens of them.||”|
— Castiel, discussing Cherubs
in My Bloody Valentine
Cherubim, also called Cupids by humans, are a type of angel that seem to be at the very bottom of Heaven's hierarchy. They are tasked with pairing important bloodlines together by supernatural means, as it is their chore.
Though not seen tussling, they possess an amazing skill over manipulating emotions, which inarguably no other angel type possesses. One is featured in My Bloody Valentine. Within the episode, Castiel thought that a cupid was the one making people kill each other for love. He appears as a naked man in the series. Their "handshake" is hugging someone very tightly and apparently nobody likes it, as stated by Castiel.
They are under the service of Heaven, particularly serving Michael. In their occupation, they are responsible for manipulating affection in certain, special bloodlines like with Dean and Sam Winchester. There are hundreds of them stationed on Earth, according to Castiel.
Strangely for Angels, they're incredibly emotional creatures, openly cheerful, optimistic, and easily saddened. One displayed a great deal of rage at the expulsion of angels from Heaven and wanted revenge against Metatron and Castiel for it.
The Cupids' bow is one of the ingredients for the spell to banish all angels from Heaven.
Powers and Abilities
- Possession - Cherubs require vessels to manifest safely on Earth and must bear their permission to do so.
- Pathokinesis - Cherubs can cause people to fall in love with each other. With it, they can manipulate affection in humans, and cause selected people to fall in love with each other. They use their bows to catalyze the affection amongst humans.
- Invisibility - Cherubs can turn themselves invisible to the physical realm, however other angels and demons can still see them.
- Teleportation - Cherubs can instantly teleport anywhere that isn't sigil-guarded.
- Immortality - Cherubs can live forever, but can be killed with an angel blade.
- Invulnerability - When punched in the face by Dean, the Cherub only showed a momentary discomfort - hurt more emotionally than physically - while Dean was wincing from the recoil, showing a greater physical endurance.
- Super strength - Although a relatively weak type of angel, Cherubs possess great supernatural strength. One was able to squeeze Dean tight and lift him off his feet. The same one squeezed an occupied vessel, causing the angel inside some discomfort. Another one was able to overpower Castiel, albeit after catching him by surprise and he wasn't close to at full power due to his diminishing stolen grace.
- Archangels - Archangels can easily annihilate cherubim.
- Leviathan - Leviathan can slaughter cherubim.
- Angels - Being of higher order, Castiel was able to telekinetically subdue a cherub.
- Sigil markings - Like all angels, they cannot enter Enochian protected places.
- Angel Blade - Angel Blades can harm and kill cherubim as shown when Metatron killed one to save Castiel.
- Archangel Blade - Stronger version of the angel blade.
- Angel Sword - Sword version of an angel blade.
- The First Blade - Can kill any being.
- Death's Scythe - Can kill anything in existence except The Darkness and possibly God.
- Season 5
- Season 6
- The Man Who Knew Too Much (mentioned only)
- Season 8
- Season 10
- In lore, their true form is made up of a human stature, the face of an eagle, ox, lion, and a human, feet of a calf, and four wings. Whether they're like this in Supernatural or not is unknown.
- In Christian Lore, Lucifer is considered, in fact, a Cherubim