|“||What human myth have mistaken for "Cupid" is actually a lower order of Angel. Technically it's a Cherub, third-class[...]They're all over the world. There are dozens of them.||”|
— Castiel, discussing Cherubs
Cherubs, or Cupids, are a lower class of angel. They are responsible for binding individuals who are destined to be together.
Though Cupids have few powers in terms of fighting, they do possess some amazing powers over manipulating emotions, that seemingly no other type of angel possesses. One is featured in My Bloody Valentine. Within the episode, Castiel thought that a cupid was the one making people kill each other for love. He appears as a naked man in the series. Their "handshake" is hugging someone very tightly and apparently nobody likes it, as stated by Castiel.
They are under the service of Heaven, particularly serving Michael. In their occupation, they are responsible for manipulating affection in certain, special bloodlines like with Dean and Sam. There are hundreds of them stationed on Earth, according to Castiel.
Strangely for Angels, they're incredibly emotional creatures, openly cheerful, optimistic, and easily saddened.
Powers and Abilities
As third-class angels, they're relatively weak, ranking lower than average angels. They are still celestial beings, however.
- Pathokinesis - A power seen in only the cupid. With it, they can manipulate affection in humans, and cause selected people to fall in love with each other. John and Mary Winchester were an example of this, as the Angels needed Sam and Dean to be born. They use a Cupid's Bow to catalyze emotions and relationships among humans.
- Body Materialization - Unlike angels that need to possess a human to be active on earth, Cupids can make thier own body and pass themselves as humans.
- Invisibility - Cupids are naturally invisible to the naked-eye, unless they choose to reveal themselves.
- Teleportation - Cupids can instantly teleport anywhere that isn't sigil-guarded.
- Immortality - Cupids, like every other celestial being, aren't subject to time and disease.
- Invulnerability - When punched in the face by Dean, the Cupid only showed a momentary discomfort - hurt more emotionally than physically - while Dean was wincing from the recoil, showing a greater physical endurance.
- Super strength - Cupids possess great supernatural strength. One was able to squeeze an occupied vessel, causing the angel inside some discomfort.
- Angels - Being of third class, they're under the authority and power of other Celestial beings.
- Telekinesis - Therein, they can be imprisoned in an telekinetic force field.
- Sigil markings - Like all angels, they cannot enter Enochian protected places.
- Limited teleportation - Their range of teleportation is rather low.
- Angel Killing blade - They could presumably be killed with this weapon.
- Season 5
- Season 6
- The Man Who Knew Too Much (Mentioned only)
- Season 8
- In lore, their true form is made up of a human stature, feet of a calf, and four wings. Whether they're like this in Supernatural or not is unknown.