Celebrating the Life of Asa Fox is the 6th episode of Season 12. It aired on November 17th, 2016.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
When hunters gather together to celebrate the life and tragic death of one of their own, Sam, Dean and Mary (guest star Samantha Smith) must take action when a demon starts picking off hunters one by one.
It starts with Mary Winchester saving a young boy from a werewolf, Asa Fox. Asa adores Mary for saving his life, writes letters to her, and eventually becomes a hunter. He is hung by a demon, later to be revealed as once he killed years ago.
Dean and Sam go to visit Jody, and to check on Alex and Claire, but they are at a concert. Jody offers to feed them, but is upset because Asa has been killed. The Winchesters and Jody go to Canada for Asa's wake. A party filled with Hunters and everyone gets to reminisce. Mary walks in, to the surprise of her sons, and joins the party. Asa's mother is not pleased to meet Mary because she's the who got Asa into hunting, his mother sabotaged his stuff so he wouldn't go hunting. While having a short family tiff, a hunter is killed. Sam tries to get everyone out, but then the house goes on lockdown and is fully warded.
A demon starts killing people in the party, possessing various people to torture them. Dean, who was locked outside manages to get in with the help of Billie the Reaper. It's eventually revealed that Bucky accidentally killed Asa and framed the demon. Once the truth comes out, the Demon leaves, everyone can leave again, and they burn the hunter's bodies.
The next day, Lorraine apologizes to Mary and says her son did live a good life and had a family. Lorraine decided to bond with her new grandchildren. Mary and Jody talk about her boys, who Jody says are the best of the best, but Mary says she knows that, that "they aren't the problem" .
Mary talks with her sons and they note she still sounds unsure of herself, as Billie reveals herself again and remarks on Mary's nature. Seeing her, Sam and Dean are surprised and they tell Mary about Billie. The Reaper says Dean owes her one, and she wants Mary. She thinks what dies should stay dead, but isn't here to hurt her. She is offering mercy, to take her back to heaven where she belongs. Mary considers it, but then says Billie will have to wait since Reapers don't kill people. Billie vanishes and Mary agrees to come home with the boys, but not right now.
Dean offers to buy her breakfast with "All the bacon".
- Kara Royster as Alicia Banes and Jael
- Kendrick Sampson as Max Banes
- Shaine Jones as Asa Fox
- Laurie Paton as Lorraine Fox
- Mac Brandt as Bucky Sims
- Billy Wickman as Elvis Katz and Jael
- Darren E. Scott as Randy Bull
- Jack Moore as Asa Fox
Featured Supernatural Beings
- Archangel (Lucifer, mentioned only)
- Crossroad Demon (Jael)
- Ghosts (cameo)
- Ghouls (mentioned only)
- Reaper (Billie)
- Wendigo (mentioned only)
- Werewolf (flashback)
- Witch (Max Banes; Tasha Banes, mentioned only)
- Billie previously appeared in the Season 11 episode, Alpha and Omega.
- Jody Mills previously appeared in the Season 11 episode Don't You Forget About Me.
- Mary Winchester previously appeared and reunites with her children after leaving in The Foundry.
- The episode was watched by 1.80 million viewers and got a 0.7 rating.
- The CW's official summary for this episode is missing a comma between Sam and Dean's names.
- According to Jody Mills, she first met Asa Fox when he came through Sioux Falls on a ghoul hunt during which time he identified himself as FBI Agent Fox Mulder. Fox Mulder was one of the protagonists of the show X-Files where he and his partner Special Agent Dana Scully investigated aliens and other paranormal phenomena.
- Sam described Dean as someone who prefers anime porn or hentai. This was revealed in the Season 7 episode, Meet the New Boss.
- Garth Fitzgerald IV is mentioned in this episode. Somehow, he became aware of Sam's possession by Lucifer and had passed on this information to other hunters.
- Ellen Harvelle is mentioned in this episode. Dean recognises Asa Fox as someone Ellen used to tell stories about, particularly about him killing five wendigos in one night.
- This episode is the first time a full exorcism has been performed since the Season 9 episode, Mother's Little Helper. While Sam exorcised Crowley in the Season 11 episode, Hell's Angel, he didn't return to Hell but rather his usual vessel. It was also to rescue Crowley, not to defeat him.
- In the flashback, Mary was shown driving a blue car. This same car appeared in Bobby Singer's dream world in the Season 3 episode, Dream A Little Dream Of Me.
- Mary is revealed to have continued hunting even after Dean was born. However, she referred to it as "tying up a few loose ends" and made it seem like she only went back temporarily.
- This is the first time Sam and Dean visit Canada in the current reality. However, this is the second time overall as they were thrown to the other universe in the Season 6 episode, The French Mistake.
- This is the first episode to feature a crossroad demon other than Crowley since the Season 11 episode, Beyond the Mat.
- While trying to determine who Jael is possessing, everyone acts like it could be Dean. However, due to having the anti-possession tattoo, Dean can't be possessed.
- The others did not know that Dean had the tattoo, so from their knowledge he was still a suspect. It is unknown however why Sam didn't point out that it couldn't be Dean.
- In the flashback to 1980 there is a mid-90's GMC Sonoma pickup parked in front of Asa Fox's house.
- Asa Fox
- Elvis Katz
- Randy Bull
- Five wendigos (mentioned only)
- A First Nations Native American girl (mentioned only)
- Marlene and her kid (mentioned only)
- Hungarian: Megemlékezés Asa Fox életéről (Remebering of The Life Of Asa Fox)