- You may be searching for Bloody Mary (Character) ...
Bloody Mary is the 5th episode of Season 1. It aired on October 11, 2005.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
In suburban Ohio, a group of partying high school teens jokingly dare their friend Charlie (guest star Marnette Patterson) to look into the mirror and repeat "Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary," not knowing this will unleash a series of mysterious murders. Sam and Dean realize that Bloody Mary has the power to travel through all reflective surfaces when she is hunting a victim. Worried that teens are accidentally summoning Bloody Mary, Sam and Dean race to destroy the violent spirit before she can kill again.
In Toledo, Ohio, three young girls are playing truth or dare. Lily's dare is to say "Bloody Mary" three times in front of the bathroom mirror. The other girls scare her by banging on the door, and then Lily's father, Steven Shoemaker, appears and tells them to be quiet. As he returns to his bedroom, a figure appears in every mirror he passes. When he looks in the bathroom mirror, his eyes start bleeding. His eldest daughter, Donna, later discovers him dead in a pool of blood.
In the Impala, Sam wakes from another nightmare about Jessica, which he won't speak about. He and Dean visit the morgue and bribe the attendant so they can view Steven Shoemaker's body. While the cause of death is unclear, his skull was full of blood and his eyeballs had liquefied.
Visiting the Shoemaker house following the funeral, Sam and Dean speak to Shoemaker's daughters and Donna's friends, Jill and Charlie. Lily reveals she feels responsible for his death after invoking Bloody Mary.
The boys look for clues in the bathroom, when Charlie finds them. They admit they think there is something suspicious about Steven's death, and Sam gives Charlie his cell number in case she thinks of anything helpful.
Later that night, while on the phone to Charlie, Jill jokingly says "Bloody Mary" three times in front of the mirror. Soon after, Jill sits in front of a mirror and the eyes in the reflection in her mirror start bleeding and the reflection says "You did it. You killed that boy." Jill's own eyes start bleeding, and she dies.
Charlie reports Jill's death to Sam and Dean and helps them get into Jill's bedroom. On the back of her mirror they find the name "Gary Bryman." Research shows that he was a young boy killed in a hit and run – and the description of the car involved matches Jill's car. At the Shoemaker house, they find the name "Linda Shoemaker" inscribed on the mirror, which was the name of Steven's wife who died suspiciously after a sleeping pill overdose.
Dean starts researching all deaths of women called Mary who died in front of a mirror and finds the death in Indiana of Mary Worthington. The brothers travel to Indiana and speak to the police detective who worked on her case.
Mary was 19 when someone broke into her apartment, murdered her, and cut out her eyes with a knife. Before she died in front of a large mirror, she tried to spell out her killer's name but only managed the letters T-R-E. A surgeon named Trevor Sampson was suspected but nothing was ever proven and her murder went unsolved.
Although she was cremated, the boys postulate that Mary's spirit was trapped in the mirror, which they found has been recently sold to a shop in Toledo.
Meanwhile, Donna and Charlie are in the school bathroom, where Donna says "Bloody Mary" three times. Charlie begins seeing the figure in reflective surfaces. Distraught, she seeks out Sam and Dean. She had a boyfriend who once threatened to kill himself if she left him. When she left, he committed suicide. Sam and Dean remove or cover all reflective surfaces in their motel room so Charlie can stay there.
Sam and Dean decide that to destroy Mary they need to summon her. Sam offers to do it because she seems to be targeting people associated with deaths who keep secrets. Dean argues that his guilt over Jessica's death is misplaced and he's not keeping any secrets, but Sam says Dean does not know everything.
After summoning Mary, she appears, and Sam's eyes start to bleed. His reflection accuses him of being responsible for Jessica's death and reveals that he had nightmares about how she would die for days before the event, but failed to warn her.
Dean smashes the mirror, but Mary emerges from the frame, and advances on Dean and Sam. Finally Dean shows Mary her own reflection, who accuses her of killing people, causing her to self-destroy. Dean smashes the mirror and she disappears.
The boys take Charlie home, and Sam tells her not to feel guilty over her boyfriend's death because she couldn't have prevented it. Dean tells Sam it's good advice. As they leave, Dean asks Sam what his secret was, but Sam refuses to tell him. Just then he sees Jessica, standing on a street corner in a long nightgown, before she disappears.
- Genevieve Buechner as Lily Shoemaker
- Marnette Patterson as Charlie
- Jovanna Huguet as Mary Worthington
- Kristie Marsden as Donna Shoemaker
- Duncan Minett as Steven Shoemaker
- Chelan Simmons as Jill
Featured Supernatural BeingsEdit
- Antagonist: Bloody Mary
- Genevieve Buechner, who played the girl Lily Shoemaker who first summoned Bloody Mary also played Samantha in the episode "Mint Condition" in Season 14, Episode 4.
- The episode is set in Eric Kripke's hometown. Some names of characters in the dialogue are shout-outs to his friends.
- The anime episode "Till Death Do Us Part" is loosely based on this episode.
- "Sugar, We're Goin Down" by Fall Out Boy
- "Rock of Ages" by Def Leppard
- "Laugh, I Nearly Died" by The Rolling Stones
- "This House is a Hotel" by The Wind and the Wave
A great deal of the aesthetic of the villain in this episode is taken from the Japanese horror film and American remake, (The) Ring.
Sam: Hey, night vision. Thanks. Perfect.
Dean: Do I look like Paris Hilton?
- Reference to Paris Hilton's infamous sex video, which made the rounds of the internet. It possibly also a bit of meta, as Hilton and Jared Padalecki worked together in the film House of Wax. Ironically, four years later, Paris Hilton appeared in Season 5's "Fallen Idols".
|“|| Sam: Why'd you let me fall asleep?|
Dean: 'Cause I'm an awesome brother. So what did you dream about?
— Sam and Dean
- Czech: Krvavá Mary (Bloody Mary)
- Brazil: Maria Sangrenta (Bloody Mary)
- Finnish: Verinen Mary (Bloody Mary)
- French: La Légende de Bloody Mary (The Legend of Bloody Mary)
- German: Bloody Mary
- Polish: Krwawa Mary (Bloody Mary)
- Romanian: Maria Cea Sângeroasă (Bloody Mary)ââ
- Hungarian: Véres Mária (Bloody Mary)
- "Supernatural: "Bloody Mary" Review", IGN review.