Bloodlust is the 3rd episode of Season 2. It premiered on October 12th, 2006.
|There was something about being there... It felt pure.|
This episode summary is an official CW press release. It may contain errors.
DO NOT CHANGE!
Sam and Dean meet Gordon (guest star Sterling K. Brown), a fellow demon hunter who has been systematically killing vampires in a small town, and Dean immediately bonds with the older man. However, after Sam meets with the lead vampire (guest star Amber Benson) and discovers they are actually peaceful creatures who survive on cattle blood, he decides not all supernatural beings are evil and forces Dean to choose whether he will side with Sam or Gordon.
THE WOODS:A girl is running through the woods, apparently being chased by something. She trips once but gets back up and keeps going. She then hides behind a tree. She doesn't hear anything, so she starts to come out from behind it. There's nothing there. Suddenly, she turns around and there's someone standing behind her, holding a long curved knife. The hooded person chops the girl's head off, and the body falls down.
THE IMPALA:Dean and Sam are driving down the road in the Impala - Dean whoops and comments on how the engine sounds so sweet. Sam says, "You know, if you two want to get a room, just let me know, Dean." Dean tells his car not to listen, as Sam doesn't understand them. Sam then says that Dean's in a good mood. Dean asks "Why shouldn't I be? I got my car, got a case, things are looking up." Sam comments that you give Dean a couple of severed heads and a pile of dead cows and he's Mr. Sunshine. Dean laughs and asks him how far it is to Red Lodge. Sam answers that's it's about another 300 miles.
SHERIFF'S OFFICE:The sheriff is telling the boys that the murder investigation is still happening, and that's all he can share with them. Dean and Sam are in suits again, pretending to be working for a paper. Sam asks him if he found the last severed head last week, and the sheriff nods. The other one was found two days ago. A girl comes in and taps her watch, and the sheriff says the time's up, they're done. Dean quickly jumps in with one more question. He asks about the cattle that were split open, drained, and apparently there were over a dozen cases. Sam asks him if he thinks there's a connection. He says that the cattle mutilations and severed heads sound like ritual stuff. "Like satanic cult ritual stuff?" Dean puts in. The sheriff looks at them, then laughs, then realizes they're serious. He tells them the cattle aren't being mutilated. He says that if a cow drops dead and it stays in the sun for 48 hours, it splits open itself, and it looks so clean it could be surgical. He asks them what paper they work for again, and Dean stumbles over the name and gets it wrong, while Sam corrects him. Dean quickly says he's new, but the sheriff doesn't believe them and tells them to get out of his office.
MORGUE:Dean and Sam are in a morgue, dressed in white lab coats. They go into a room and there's another guy there. Dean tells him that the doctor needs to see him in his office right away. The guy says that the doctor's on vacation, but Dean says, "Well he's back, and he's pissed, and he's screaming for you, man. So if I were you I'd -" The guy quickly leaves, looking worried. Dean then asks Sam if the satanists in Florida marked their victims. Sam replies yes, on the forehead. They pull out a box, and Dean tells Sam to open it. Sam won't though, and Dean calls him a wuss. He opens it himself. They don't find any mark on the head in the box, and Dean suggests they look in her mouth to see if the murderer stuffed anything down her throat. Sam tells him go ahead, and Dean replies he can, and Sam says, "I'm the wuss?" Sam starts to reach into the mouth and he says, "Dean, get me a bucket?" Dean asks him if he's found something but he says no, he's going to puke. Sam pulls his hand out but then Dean says he thinks he saw something. He reaches back in and sees a hole in the girl's gums. Dean presses near it and a fang comes out. "A retractable set of vampire fangs, you've got to be kidding me," he says. Sam says, "This changes things," and Dean replies sarcastically, "You think?"
THE BAR:Sam and Dean go into a bar, and head up to the counter. They order a couple of beers, and Sam tells him they're looking for someone. They hand him some money and they tell him that these people would have moved here about six months ago, and would sleep all day, party all night. Meanwhile, we see a man in a corner watching them. The bartender tells them he has seen some people like that, noisy drinkers, and they've come in once or twice. Dean and Sam thank him and leave, and as they do we see that the man in the corner is gone.
OUTSIDE OF THE BAR:The boys walk out and behind the bar. We see the man from the bar follow them. He goes around the back of the bar after them, but they're gone. He turns around, and nothing. He turns back around, and Dean and Sam are right there, and Dean has a knife to his throat. They ask him to show them his teeth, and the guy replies he's not a vampire. He says he heard them talking inside, and he knows how to kill vampires. When they don't move back, he shows them his teeth and then they let him go. Then he asks them who they are. "Sam and Dean Winchester," the man, whose name is Gordon, says while pulling out a big rack of weapons from his car. "I can't believe it. You know I met your old man once? Hell of a guy. Great hunter. I heard he passed. I'm sorry." He seems to know a lot about their family, and he tells them that word travels fast. "You know how hunters talk," he says, and Dean says they actually don't. Gordon says he guesses there was a lot their dad never told them. Sam asks him if the two vampires that were killed were his. He replies yes. Dean asks him where the nest is, and he tells them that he has this one covered. He tells them he's been there for two weeks. He found a vampire in Austin and tracked it all the way here and found the nest. He says he'll finish it himself. Dean says they can help, but he declines, saying he'd rather do it alone. Dean tells him he's been itching for a hunt, but still Gordon says no. He tells them about a Chupacabra they can take care of, and then gets in his car. "It was real good meeting you though. I'll buy you a drink on the flip side." He drives away. THE MILL: A man is sitting in a mill, and suddenly he hears something. He gets up and walks outside. He looks around cautiously, and suddenly Gordon is behind him, and they start to fight. The man's teeth come out - he's a vampire. Gordon is soon overpowered and the vampire puts his head under a saw he turned on and starts to pull it down. Suddenly Gordon is pulled out from under it by Sam, and Dean starts to attack the vampire. He stabs it in the chest and then brings the saw down on its neck, killing it. Gordon says, "So, I guess I gotta buy you that drink."
BAR:Sam, Dean, and Gordon are all sitting around. Dean and Gordon are drinking, but Sam is just sitting there. Gordon compliments Dean on how he killed the vampire, and Dean thanks him. Then he asks Sam if he's all right. Sam says he's fine. "Have another one, Sammy," says Gordon, and Sam replies that Dean is the only one who's allowed to call him that. Gordon says he didn't mean any offense, he was just celebrating. Sam says that decapitations aren't his idea of a good time, and Gordon says it's not as if it was human. He tells Sam he's got to have some more fun with the job. Dean says he's been trying to tell him that, and he could learn a thing or two from Gordon. "Yeah, I bet I could," says Sam, and he says he's going back to the motel. Dean tosses him the keys. Gordon asks if it was something he said, but Dean replies that Sam just gets that way sometimes.
MOTEL: Sam goes to the motel and puts the keys on the desk.
BAR:Dean is telling Gordon about something he killed when he was only sixteen. "So I pick up this crossbow. And I hit that ugly sucker with a silver-tipped arrow, right in his heart. Sammy's waiting in the car. Me and my dad, we take that thing into the woods, burn it to a crisp. I'm sitting there looking into the fire and I'm thinking to myself, 'I'm sixteen years old. Kids my age are worried about pimples, prom dates. I'm seein' things they'll never even know. Never even dream of.' I guess that's when I sort of..." "Embraced the life?" puts in Gordon, and Dean nods, then asks him how he got started. Gordon tells him that he saw his first vampire when he was eighteen. He says he was home alone with his sister, and it came into her room. He says he got his dad's gun and ran in and tried to get it off her. "Too late. So I shoot the damn thing. Which is of course just about as useful as snapping it with a rubber band." He says that it flung him across the room, and knocked him out cold. He says when he woke up, the vampire was gone, and his sister was gone. He says he left home, looked around for information about how to kill them, and then he found the vampire. "It was my first kill," he says. Dean says he's sorry about Gordon's sister. Gordon says it was a long time ago, and then says, "Your dad - it's gotta be rough." Dean replies, "Yeah. He was one of those guys - took some terrible beatings. But he never gave up. So you're always saying to yourself, 'He's indestructible. He'll always be around, nothing can kill my dad.' And then just like that -" Dean snaps his fingers - "he's gone." He looks at Gordon. "I can't say this to Sammy - gotta keep my game face on. But - uh - the truth is, I'm not handling it very well. I feel I have this..." "Hole inside you?" Gordon says. "And it just gets bigger and bigger and darker and darker? Good. You can use it. Trust me. There's plenty out there that needs killing and this'll help you do it. Dean - it's not a crime to need your job."
MOTEL:Sam calls Ellen. She says it's good to hear from him and asks if everything's okay. He says everything's fine and asks her if she knows a man named Gordon Walker. She says she does, and he's a good hunter. She asks him why he's asking. He tells her they ran into him on a job and they're kind of working together. She tells him not to do that, as Gordon is dangerous to everyone and everything around him. She says if he's working on a job then they'd better just let him handle it and move on.
BAR:Gordon and Dean are still talking. Gordon says he loves this life because it's all black and white. There's no maybe. You find the bad thing, you kill it. He says most people spend their lives in shades of grey, but not them. Dean says he's not sure Sam would agree with him. Gordon says he doesn't think Sam is much like them. Dean looks at him and Gordon says, "I'm not saying he's wrong. Just different. But you and me? We were born to do this. It's in our blood." Dean looks unsure.
OUTSIDE OF THE MOTEL:Sam is outside at a drink machine. He hears something in the bushes and quickly goes back to the motel. He gets inside and then laughs at himself a bit. He puts down his drink and suddenly someone attacks him from behind. He's defending himself pretty well until suddenly he's hit over the head with a phone from behind. He's knocked out.
THE NEST:Sam wakes up with a bag over his head, tied up and gagged. The bag is pulled off and he recognizes the bartender from the bar they were in. His fangs come out, he's a vampire. He starts to come at Sam when suddenly a girl's voice says, "Wait." The vampire pulls back and there's a girl standing at the doorway. She comes over and takes the gag off Sam, saying "My name's Lenore. I'm not going to hurt you. I just want to talk to you." Sam says he might have trouble paying attention to anything but Eli's teeth. She says he won't hurt him either, he has her word. Sam doesn't believe her, as she's not the first vampire he's met. She tells him they're not like the others. They don't kill humans, and they don't drink their blood. They haven't for a long time. Sam asks if it's some sort of joke, and she says, "Notice you're still alive." Lenore tells him that they've found other ways to eat, cattle blood. She says it's disgusting, but it allows them to get by. She says if there's no deaths, no missing locals, then there's no reason for people like Sam to come looking for them. Eli starts getting mad, saying that tonight they murdred Conrad, and they're celebrating. She tells him that's enough, what's done is done. Sam asks why she's talking to him and she says she'd rather not, but she knows his kind. They'll just keep tracking the vampires. She wants them to stop following them. She says they have a right to live, they're not hurting anyone. Sam asks her why he should believe her, and she says fine, she's going to let him go. Sam is taken back out of the house blindfolded and they drive him back to the motel.
THE MOTEL:Dean and Gordon are looking at a map, Gordon is showing him where he thinks the nest is. Dean checks his watch and wonders where Sam is. Gordon says he probably went out for a walk, as he seems like that type of guy. Dean says he is. Suddenly Sam walks in the door. Dean asks him where he's been, and Sam asks to talk to him alone. Dean goes outside with him, leaving Gordon inside.
OUTSIDE OF THE MOTEL:Sam tells Dean they have to rethink the hunt. He tells him that he was at the nest. Dean asks him how many he killed, and Sam says none. Dean says, "They didn't just let you go!" "That's exactly what they did," replies Sam. He tells Dean he doesn't know where it is though, as he was blindfolded. He does know that they went over the bridge outside of town, though. He tells Dean that he doesn't think they're like other vampires. He tells him that the vampires are the ones doing the cattle mutilations, that's how they live. Dean doesn't believe him. He says they have to find them and kill them. Sam says no. Gordon is standing just outside the door and listening, but they don't see him. Dean tells him if it's supernatural, they kill it, it's their job. Sam says no, their job is hunting evil, and these things aren't evil. Dean replies that Gordon has been on the vampires for a year, he knows. Sam tells him that Ellen says he's bad news. Dean says he's not listening to Ellen, they barely know her. Sam says, "Right, 'cause Gordon's such an old friend. You don't think I know what this is?" "What're you talking about?" asks Dean. "He's a substitute for Dad, isn't he? A poor one." Dean starts to walk away but Sam follows him. "You know, you slap on this big fake smile, but I can see right through it. 'Cause I know how you feel, Dean! Dad's dead! And he left a hole, and it hurts so bad you can't take it, but you can't just fill up that hole with whoever you want! It's an insult to his memory." Dean starts to turn away and then he punches Sam in the face. Sam tells him he can hit him all he wants, but it's not going to change anything. Dean tells him he's going to the nest, he'll find it himself.
THE MOTEL:They go back in, and find that the keys to Dean's car, and Gordon are gone. They go after him by hotwiring the Impala. Sam says the bridge was four and half minutes from their farm, he counted. He knows all the directions. Dean tells him he's good. A pain in the ass, but good.
THE NEST:Lenore is packing. Eli says they have to stay and fight, but Lenore says no. She says there's more where those three came from. She says she's not giving up hope. She says if they can change, then the hunters can change. She tells him to gather the others, they're leaving before sunrise.
ON THE ROAD:Gordon is driving to the nest. Sam and Dean are close behind him.
OUTSIDE OF THE NEST:Lenore is packing the truck. She hears something, and looks around. Gordon is behind her. He stabs her in the chest with a knife. "Dead man's blood," he says.
THE NEST:Gordon has tied Lenore up, and he is cutting her with the knife, dipped in dead man's blood. Dean and Sam come in. Gordon says he's going to get Lenore to tell him where the rest of them are. He tells them they can help, just grab a knife. Dean says they should just chill out. Sam tells Gordon to put the knife down, and Gordon says it sounds like it's Sam who needs to chill. Sam tells him to stop. Gordon says Sam's right, he's wasting his time. She'll never talk. He might as well put her out of her misery. He pulls out a long knife. Sam comes forward and Gordon points the knife at Sam. Dean tells him stop. He says that the vampire that killed his sister deserved to die, but - Gordon tells Dean that the vampire didn't kill his sister, it changed her. And he hunted her down and killed her. Dean is shocked. Sam realizes that Gordon knew all along that the vampires weren't killing anyone. Gordon says that vampires don't change. He says he can prove it, and grabs Sam's arm and cuts it. Dean aims a gun at Gordon, but Gordon says he isn't going to kill Sam. He just wants to make a point. He puts Sam's arm over Lenore's mouth and his blood drips onto her. Her vampire fangs come out, and she is growling and hissing. Gordon says they're all the same, evil, blood thirsty. Lenore's fangs retract and she says, "No, no..." Sam pushes Gordon away. "You hear her?" He unties Lenore and takes her out. Dean says that he thinks Gordon and he have some things to talk about. Dean says if he wants the vampires, he has to go through him. Gordon puts down his knife, and Dean puts away his gun. They start to fist-fight. Gordon grabs his knife again anyway and comes at Dean, but Dean manages to knock it out of his hand. Gordon says that Dean's not like his brother, he's a killer, like him. They're still fighting, and Dean gets the upper hand. He ties up Gordon and says, "You know, I might be like you, and I might not. But you're the one tied up right now." It's morning now. Sam comes back in. Dean is still standing with Gordon. Sam asks if he missed anything, and Dean replies nothing much. He says that he'll call someone in a couple of days to come and untie him. Sam asks if he's ready to go, and Dean says not yet. He punches Gordon one more time, and then says he's ready to go. OUTSIDE OF THE NEST: The boys leave the nest, and Dean says to Sam that he can hit him. He says Sam can have a freebie. Sam says Dean looks as if he just went twelve rounds with a block of cement, and he'll take a raincheck. Dean says he wishes they never took this job. Sam asks him why, and Dean says he wonders how many things they have killed that didn't deserve it. "I mean, the way Dad raised us..." Sam says that after Mom died, Dad did the best he could. Dean says he knows, but the man wasn't perfect. "He raised us to hate those things, and man, I hate them. I do. When I killed that vampire at the mill I didn't even think about it. Hell, I even enjoyed it." "You didn't kill Lenore," says Sam. "Yeah but every instinct told me to. I was gonna kill her, I was gonna kill them all." "Yeah but Dean you didn't. That's what matters," says Sam. "Yeah," says Dean. "'Cause you're a pain in my ass." Sam smiles. "Guess I might have to stick around and be a pain in the ass then," says Sam. He starts to get in the car. "Thanks," says Dean. "Don't mention it," says Sam. Dean looks back at the house for a few seconds, and then he gets in the car. They drive away.
Special Guest StarsEdit
- Samantha Ferris as Ellen Harvelle
- Sterling K. Brown as Gordon Walker
- Ty Olsson as Eli
- Janene Carleton as Christina Flanagan
Featured Supernatural BeingsEdit
- This is the first appearance of Gordon Walker.
- This is the first appearance of Lenore.
- Ellen Harvelle previously appeared in Everybody Loves a Clown.
- Dean again makes mention of the "hole" inside him, which Gordon misinterprets for bloodlust and vengeance.
- Gordon Walker later returns as a recurring antagonist before ironically getting turned into a vampire himself and killed.
- Lenore briefly returns in Mommy Dearest before being mercy killed by Castiel at her own request.
- Despite Bobby believing the the Impala was damaged beyond repair during "In My Time of Dying", Dean has fully repaired it by this episode. The case in this episode is apparently the first time he's driven it since its repairs given the comments he makes.
- First episode with mention of the Winchester brothers notoriety.
- This is the first time Sam and Dean encounter friendly monsters.
- Antagonist: Gordon Walker
- It was actually in this episode that Jared Padalecki broke his hand. He fell wrong on his hand in the scene where Sam is hit over the head with a telephone.
- Ty Olsson, the actor that later plays Benny Lafitte in Season 8, plays Eli, who makes his first appearance at the 7:10 mark. Ironically, both characters he plays are vampires of a similar type: ones that don't feed on humans though Eli feeds on cows while Benny feeds on bagged blood.
- Amber Benson, who plays the vampire Lenore in this episode, has a recurring role as the witch Tara in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
- When Sam and Dean corner Gordon in the alley, he tells Sam, "Whoa, easy there Chachi." He is referring to the title character from the 1980s TV sitcom "Joanie Loves Chachi" which was a spin-off of the 1970s sitcom "Happy Days."
- When Dean kills a vampire, blood is sprayed on his face, mostly on his right cheek. In the next shot the pattern is different, and notably the right cheek is almost clean.
- After Gordon cuts Sam's arm, two drops of blood fall onto Lenore's face. When Sam later helps her up, his blood is gone from her face.
- When Sam is led out of the vampires house with the bag over his head to the car after he is captured, just before he is put into the car you can briefly see his hands that are meant to be tied behind his back. There is nothing tying his hands, he is just holding his hands together. I assume that his hands were meant to be hidden in the shot so they cut corners, but they accidentally were visible showing that they were not actually tied.
- "Back In Black" by AC/DC
- "Wheel In The Sky" by Journey
- "Time And Time Again" by Long John Hunter
- "Golden Rule" by Lil' Ed and The Blues Imperials
- "Funny Car Graveyard" by Lee Rocker
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)
- Dean has Sam check the beheaded woman's mouth for anything inside, like the moth in The Silence of the Lambs. Dean then quotes "Put the lotion in the basket." Later, when Sam asks Ellen about Gordon being a good hunter, she says, "Yeah, and Hannibal Lecter's a good psychiatrist."
Happy Days (1974) (TV Series)
- Gordon calls Sam "Chachi".
The Lost Boys (1987)
- Dean quotes the Lost Boys tag line, while speaking with the bartender "Sleeps all day, parties all night."
Queen - Another One Bites the Dust (1980) (Song)
- Gordon toasts the death of the vampire by saying "another one bites the dust".
- Dean: "I might be like you, and I might not. But you're the one tied up right now."
- Sheriff: "What newspaper did you say you worked for?"
- Dean: "World Weekly News."
- Sam: "Weekly World News."
- Dean: "World..."
- Sam: "Weekly World News."
- Dean: "Wor... I'm new."<
- Sheriff: "Get out of my office."
- Sam: (while examining a severed head) "Dean, get me a bucket."
- Dean: "You find something?"
- Sam: "No, I'm going to puke."
- Sam: (about Gordon) "I - I thought you said he was a good hunter."
- Ellen: "Yeah, and Hannibal Lecter's a good psychiatrist."
- Gordon: "Well, lighten up a little, Sammy."
- Sam: (about Dean ) "He's the only one who gets call me that."
- Gordon: (pulling out knife to kill a vampire) "I just sharpened it so it's perfectly humane."
- Lenore: "My name is Lenore. I'm not gonna hurt you. We just need to talk."
- Sam: "Talk? Yeah, okay, but I might have a tough time paying attention to much besides Eli's teeth."
- Lenore: "He won't hurt you either. You have my word."
- Sam: "Your word? Oh yeah, great, thanks. Listen, lady, no offense, but you're not the first vampire I've met."
- Lenore: "We're not like the others. We don't kill humans and we don't drink their blood. We haven't for a long time."
- Sam: "What is this some kind of joke?"
- Lenore: "Notice you're still alive."
- Sam: (laughs) "Okay uh... correct me if I'm wrong here but shouldn't you be starving to death?"
- Lenore: "We've found other ways, cattle blood."
- Sam: "You're telling me you're responsible for all the..."
- Lenore: "It's not ideal. In fact, it's disgusting. But it allows us to get by."
- Sam: "Uh... okay, why?"
- Lenore: "Survival. No deaths, no missing locals, no... reason for people like you to come looking for people like us. We blend in. Our kind is practically extinct. It turns out we weren't as high up the foodchain as we imagined."
- Eli: (to Lenore) "Why are we explaining ourselves to this killer? We choke on cow's blood so that none of them suffer. Tonight they murdered Conrad and they celebrate it!"
- Lenore: "Eli, that's enough!"
- Sam: "Yeah Eli, that's enough."
- Lenore: "What's done is done. We're leaving this town tonight."
- Sam: "Then why did you bring me here? Why are you even talking to me?"
- Lenore: "Believe me I'd rather not, but I know your kind. Once you have the scent, you'll keep tracking us. It doesn't matter where we go... hunters will find us."
- Sam: "So, you're asking us not to follow you?"
- Lenore: "We have a right to live. We're not hurting anyone."
- Sam: "Right. So you keep saying. But give me one good reason why I should believe you."
- Lenore: (leans in very close to Sam's face) "Fine, you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to let you go. Eli, take him back ... not a mark on him."
- Finnish: Verenhimo (Bloodlust)
- Brazil: Sede de Sangue (Thirst of Blood)
- French: Au-delà des Apparences (Beyond the Guise)
- German: Blutrausch (Bloodfrenzy)
- Polish: Żądza Krwi (Bloodlust)
- Italian: Vampiri (Vampires)
- Hungarian: Vérszomj (Bloodlust)
- Supernatural: 'Bloodlust' IGN review