This article is about a subject that is from official sources but is not considered canon.
Aswang are a race of Filipino monsters featured in Supernatural: Fresh Meat.
Aswang appear to be large, bird like creatures. They have a long proboscis through which they suck out organs out of humans. It does not need to feed regularly, so initially it sucks out organs that are unnecessary for a human's survival, keeping them alive for a long time. Then the important ones are removed. Sometimes the Aswang removes the organs from a large group of people and fits all kinds of organs into one person. Though that person is already dead, they walk and re-unite with their family. But that person is unable to stop walking. Eventually that person tires and collapses and can be assumed to be dead once and for all.
In the Philippines, aswangs terrorized many villagers who eventually came up with a way to kill one: a specially created whip that could drag an aswang to the ground and kill it. A Spanish missionary recorded tales of the aswang in a journal which eventually fell into the hands of a hunter named Marta.
In 1863 an aswang made its way to America on a Spanish missionary ship. This aswang was likely seeking hunting grounds where fewer threats to it existed. After arriving, the aswang made its way slowly east across the North American continent, emerging to feed after long periods of time. In 2011 the aswang began working on laying its eggs and thus began consuming more victims. However, its victims were found and eaten by a wendigo who had set up in the area. To neutralize the threat to its meals, the aswang disguised itself as a hunter named Jason and enlisted the help of Sam and Dean Winchester and Bobby Singer to kill the wendigo. After the wendigo's death, the aswang was able to resume its activities unhindered but drew the attention of Sam, Dean and Bobby. To get rid of them, the aswang took a young wannabe-hunter named Jimmy to a nest of vampires and set the vampires after the Winchesters and Bobby. The aswang itself continued in its guise as Jason to keep close to Dean. The aswang was revealed and nearly killed Dean but a now-vampire Jimmy distracted it long enough for Sam and Bobby to rescue Dean. The three hunters then attacked the aswang, eventually managing to drag it to the ground with the whip that they made from the Spanish missionary's book. As the other two hunters restrained the aswang, Dean pierced its heart with the whip's stingray barb, killing the creature. The aswang's body then burned to ash. The three hunters were able to locate its eggs and used the whip to destroy them as well.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
- Super Strength - Able to carry Sam 15 ft into the air and rip off the head of a vampire with ease.
- Shapeshifting - Can take on human appearance at will.
- Invulnerability - Can only be killed by the Aswang whip. Though it can sustain serious injuries, they can't kill it.
- Regeneration - Sucking in organs can give strength to an Aswang and help it heal even near-fatal wounds.
- Paralysis - The saliva of an Aswang can paralyse and knock a person unconscious for hours.
- Spice Concoction - A concotion made from various rare spices can burn an Aswang's skin.
- Aswang whip - A whip that is coated with the above-mentioned liquid, having a sting ray barb tip for a hook and an enchantment cast on it can kill an Aswang. This whip is the only weapon that can destroy an Aswang's eggs too. Another condition for the whip is that, it has to be made of 2 parts hemp and 1 part seaweed.
- Cold - According to the hunter turned vampire Jimmy, an aswang is negatively effected by cold. However, cold doesn't appear to be enough to kill one.
- Aswangs lay eggs only once in their life. To do this, they must feed much more than usual.
- Another peculiar thing about Aswangs is their wings. If the Aswang's wings sound like they are far off, it actually means that the Aswang is getting closer. As the monster flies away, the sound becomes louder and louder until it disappears without warning.