|“||Archangels are fierce. They're absolute. They're Heaven's most terrifying weapon.||”|
Archangels are the first and most powerful celestial beings created by God. God created them before any other type of angel, such as seraphim and Cupids, or any other creatures, although Leviathans predate them. Archangels are at the top of the celestial hierarchy, answerable only to God, although Death is likely more powerful than them. They were created in this order: Michael, Lucifer, Raphael, and Gabriel.
Lucifer was God's most beautiful and beloved angel, Michael his mightiest warrior, Gabriel his greatest messenger, and it is unknown what Raphael was, but it is believed that he could have been God's strongest healer.
After creating the first beasts, the Leviathans, and locking them away in Purgatory, God created the four great Celestial beings known as Archangels. They were created in this explicit order: Michael, Lucifer, Raphael, and Gabriel. They distinctively met and interacted with their father. In Heaven, Michael personally raised his little brother Lucifer, but following the creation of man, God asked all his children to kneel before them. Although the other three Archangels complied, Lucifer refused, and led a rebellion trying to overthrow God. Michael, on God's command, defeated Lucifer, and banished his beloved brother out of Heaven and into Hell. During the turmoil, Gabriel escaped to Earth to avoid taking sides and Raphael chose to side with God and Michael.
After God's departure from Heaven, the Archangels, according to Metatron, ferociously whined and wailed. Over time, however, they began to shift their attention into ruling the universe. Although very powerful themselves, to rule the universe, they would need the Words of God. However, Metatron, the Scribe of God, predicted the Archangels' decision, and proceeded to leave Heaven to protect the tablets. Lucifer, however, was able to take possession of the Angel Tablet sometime after.
According to Castiel, they are known in Heaven as absolute, precise and wrathful creatures, as Castiel has called them, "The most fearsome wrath of Heaven". Like all angels, their true forms are very intense, and have proven not only harmful but also fatal to humans. Their presence on Earth outside a vessel is often visualized as a blinding, pure white light, and their arrival can cause minor tremors, as shown by Lucifer when the Chapel shook as he escaped the Cage, and by Raphael while intervening to protect the prophet Chuck Shurley from Lilith. Their true voice also emits a piercing sound, which has proven to be excruciatingly painful to humans. During a subsequent appearance, Raphael caused the entire Eastern Sea Board to experience a black out and generated strong winds and heavy rainstorms. Shortly before his defeat, Lucifer's presence caused the temperature to drop drastically in Detroit.
It has been stated that Archangels are tethered to prohpets. Raphael seemed to be the one who monitored and protected prophet Chuck Shurley. Before his fall, Lucifer was God's most beloved angel; he was considered beautiful, and was well respected in Heaven.
Archangels view themselves as the highest authority over all of creation since God's departure from Heaven. As leaders in Heaven, Michael and Raphael commanded the Host of Heaven, issuing orders to the "Senior Management" who were responsible for deploying angels to Earth. They did not share all their plans, especially their intention to allow Lucifer to be freed, to avoid rebellion in the lower ranks. Most of them showed little respect while interacting with humans, although Gabriel eventually confessed his appreciation of humanity.
The relationships between Archangels and their vessels can be complex. Holding an Archangel is damaging to a human; Raphael's vessel Donnie Finnerman was left a drooling, catatonic mess after possession. Lucifer's continued presence in Nick, an alternate vessel, causes the human's body to breakdown, as evidenced by burn-like marks, scarring and tears on his skin. Lucifer's vessels can be strengthened with demon blood to better survive the ordeal. Despite his contempt and hatred for humanity as a whole, Lucifer showed some sympathy toward Nick, and toward Sam Winchester, his true vessel. Michael, though condescendingly, was willing to explain his position to Dean Winchester while occupying his father, and promised not to leave Dean a "drooling mess" after his service.
Powers and Abilities
|“||No one gives us the right; we take it.||”|
As the highest-ranking angels, the Archangels possess the powers and abilities that are inherent in all angels, but at a higher level, with increased strengths and powers commensurate with their rank.
Imbued with immense and unimaginable power by God, the Archangels are four of the most powerful beings in all of creation. They are held in high esteem by angels, being looked upon as "fierce" and "absolute". All Archangels have tremendous power over other supernatural beings. God and Death are more powerful than them, as was Castiel when he temporarily gained god-like powers from Purgatory's souls (at least over Raphael). It is unknown if Leviathans are immune to their powers.
Michael and Raphael (and perhaps Gabriel) were said to be responsible for eliminating the Knights of Hell, a group of special demons handpicked by Lucifer himself. Only Abaddon was shown to have escaped.
- Immortality - Archangels aren't underneath time, affected by age or diseases, and don't need to breathe, eat, or sleep to sustain themselves. They are some of the oldest things in all of Creation. They're nearly indestructible, but an Archangel blade can kill and hurt them.
- Angelic Possession - By God's law, even Archangels require vessels to manifest physically on Earth. Unlike average angels, Archangels are highly particular about their vessels; any vessel that an Archangel such as Michael or Lucifer possesses that is not part of Cain and Abel's bloodline will burn up and deteriorate over time.
- Holy White Light - Being imbued with holy white light, they can generate this light as intense burning energy through their vessels' hands, and it is capable of destroying almost anything. This power can also be controlled as Raphael could choose who or what was affected by his and how much it hurt them (if he chose not to kill with it).
- Invulnerability - Archangels cannot be hurt, damaged, or penetrated by most weapons. However, Lucifer experienced pain when shot by the Colt, and Raphael's vessel could be affected by Lot's Stone. Archangel blades can permanently kill them, and they can hurt each other.
- Super strength - As the first, oldest, and highest-ranking celestial beings in all of God's creation, Archangels are astronomically strong, being physically much stronger than pagan god deities, angels, seraphs, demons, spirits, and monsters.
- Super-stamina - Archangels need nothing to maintain strength, to strive, or operate, as they are self-sufficient. Unlike most angels (except for Seraphs), they don't get their power from Heaven, and as such, "falling" or being banished doesn't affect their powers at all.
- Telekinesis - Archangels are mentally influential on beings and objects. Being refined in this power, Archangels have greater power and range with this than other beings.
- Teleportation - Archangels are masters at teleportation; they can move in and out of a place instantly, and they have great speed and agility. They can transverse across the entire universe.
- Telepathy - Archangels can hear, read and feel/sense the thoughts and emotions of humans.
- Precognition - Archangels can see into the future, although they do not always see the full picture; as Michael has apparently been "wrong", and neither Lucifer nor Gabriel foresaw their defeats.
- Summoning/Banishing - Archangels can summon and banish angels at their command. This was demonstrated by Michael.
- Memory Manipulation- Archangels can erase, fabricate and restore memories of people.
- Shapeshifting - When not occupying a vessel, Archangels can change form, as Lucifer did when he appeared to Nick using Sarah's visage.
- Enhanced Reality Altering - Like Seraphs, Archangels can alter reality, albeit to a greater degree. Gabriel can create anything he wants out of thin air and can even put people in a TV universe. He learned this ability from Lucifer.
- Time Manipulation - Archangels can travel and send themselves, and/or others, backwards or forwards through time.
- Resurrection - Archangels can revive the deceased with a touch or thought without strain.
- Power Granting - Archangels can grant protection or powers to other beings as shown when Raphael made Crowley immune to Castiel's angelic killing touch.
- Nigh-Omnipotence - Archangels have a vast supply of power and can change reality, being able to do and create things out of thin air such as illusions, fantasies, portals, beings, etc. Having great power and dexterity, Archangels can easily overpower anything; humans, angels, pagan gods, demons, monsters, etc.
- Supernatural Perception/Senses - They can sense and perceive beings and things that are naturally invisible, such as Reapers and even Horsemen. Lucifer was able to casually look at Death's true form upon his release.
- Weather Manipulation - Practically every Archangel changes the weather upon first emergence. The sheer power of their presence can/and likely will drastically alter the Earth's weather and surroundings, and they are capable of causing raging storms and generating strong air-currents.
- Pyrokinesis - Archangels can manipulate and generate fire. With it, they can incinerate almost anything. Michael incinerated Anna, burning her from the inside out.
- Cryokinesis - Archangels can manipulate and generate ice. Lucifer's presence could cause a massive drop in temperature, and he could cause ice to freeze onto a window just by breathing on it.
- Electrokinesis - Archangels can manipulate, control and generate electricity with such an intensity that they can cause coastal blackouts.
- Terrakinesis - Archangels can cause full-fledged earthquakes, regardless of whether they are in a vessel or not.
- Biokinesis - Archangels, by snapping or clicking their fingers, can spontaneously destroy angels, and therefore monsters and creatures alike as well.
- Regeneration - If they are in some way harmed, they can instantly heal all non-fatal wounds.
- Flight - Like regular angels, Archangels have demonstrated flight, though not when in a vessel.
- Sedation - Just like Angels and Seraphim.
- Soul Reading - Like the Seraphim.
- Healing- Archangels can cure any disease, wound, or injury.
- Voice Mimicry - Archangels can perfectly mimic the voice of mortals.
- Dream Walking - Archangels can appear in peoples' dreams, and they usually use this ability to communicate when they can't find the person they're looking for, or when they want to talk privately. Lucifer was able to talk to his future vessels in their dreams.
- Astral Projection - Like angels and Seraphim.
- Eidetic Memory - Angels have the faces of every prophet who has existed or will exist etched into their memories. This ability also makes them aware of reality warping and timeline changes.
- Invisibility - Archangels can become invisible to humans.
- Thermokinesis - Demonstrated by Lucifer.
In spite of them being extremely powerful, Archangels possess a few weaknesses.
- Archangel Blade: A weapon of their own design, this is the only known conventional way to fully destroy an Archangel. Regular angel blades can possibly harm Archangels as Dean tried to use one on Raphael.
- Holy Oil: If burned, it can be used to trap Archangels, just like any other type of angel. It is powerful enough to be lethal to Gabriel and Raphael, however Michael is more resilient to it, as it only hurts and temporally banishes him. It's unknown what effect it would have on Lucifer.
- Enochian Sigils: Can be used to conceal a location from all angels, including Archangels.
- Lucifer's Cage: Of God's own design, it is sturdy and powerful enough to hold at least the two strongest Archangels.
- Death's Scythe : It was stated it can kill any angel, but since it has never been used against an Archangel, its effectiveness against them is unknown.
- The Colt: When Dean shot Lucifer, he was hurt and fell unconscious for a few seconds.
- Season 5
- Sympathy for the Devil (Lucifer)
- Free To Be You and Me (Raphael and Lucifer)
- The End (Lucifer)
- Changing Channels (Gabriel)
- Abandon All Hope... (Lucifer)
- The Song Remains the Same (Michael)
- Point of No Return (Michael's true form appears)
- Hammer of the Gods (Gabriel and Lucifer)
- Swan Song (Michael and Lucifer)
- Season 5
- Even though in some religions there are seven archangels, only four have been confirmed in Supernatural, Michael, Lucifer, Raphael, and Gabriel.
- Archangels are one of the most dangerous and powerful antagonists in the entire series.
- The only known living archangels to date in Supernatural are Michael,and Lucifer, as Raphael was killed by Castiel (when he absorbed all the souls from Purgatory), while Gabriel was killed by Lucifer.
- With the exception of the Leviathans, depending on the extent of their immunity to angelic power, archangels are God's most powerful creations to appear in the series.
- Metatron was described as an archangel in one of the Word of God tablets, but he revealed that he was simply an angel that was chosen to be a scribe.